Quantcast
Petty Neighbourhood - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Petty Neighbourhood

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The highway is not a closed residential road. You're talking apples and oranges here. Also the posted speed limit is a maximum. It still doesn't mean assholes should rip around our crescent at any time doing the maximum. But this is my block, not OP's so I dont know for sure. But someones jimmies are rustled obviously. If it was me, i would work it out with them directly, or keep to myself.

I dont know man, you are thinking about it enough to post on beyond about it.

Seriously, go talk to them. Individually. You'd be surprised how that goes over when it personalizes you. It is also surprising how you can figure out which one of the 3 is the actual problem. May buddies wife was checking you out.
    It's been a year of this and i'm only posting now because it's gotten to a point of escalation where they are riding out in front of my vehicle as described. I could care less about what petty shit they are doing, but they are now intentionally obstructing my commute. Huge difference between dwelling on something and finding a solution to not having bikes in front of my vehicle every time I decide to leave the house.

What is the solution? Buy a new car that doesn't have an exhaust? Push my car down the road? Doesn't matter how "slow" i'm going, it's too fast for them.
    Last edited by ickyflex; 08-19-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Extra cautious?

Have you read the replies in this thread and in the other "slow down children playing signs" thread?

Usually it's a bunch of chest thumping and bro-talk. Strangely childrens' safety doesn't usually come up often.
    Their safety has nothing to do with it, it's just people who get off on power tripping and lording over the neighborhood - if children's safety was a priority their parents wouldn't let them play on the street until they were old enough to look after themselves, rather than take it upon themselves to enforce an imaginary law which in which they would probably be livid if the shoe was ever on the other foot. Maybe set them up with some toys in the back yard or take them to a nearby park if they aren't old enough to understand road safety, rather than try and impose your (I don't mean you) "rule" on the neighborhood. That's what I do with my nieces & nephews, and I never have to worry about their safety around vehicles. It is the courteous and responsible thing to do IMO rather than throw up signs and shake my fist at everyone who drives by legally and well within the speed limit.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Their safety has nothing to do with it, it's just people who get off on power tripping and lording over the neighborhood - if children's safety was a priority their parents wouldn't let them play on the street until they were old enough to look after themselves, rather than take it upon themselves to enforce an imaginary law which in which they would probably be livid if the shoe was ever on the other foot. Maybe set them up with some toys in the back yard or take them to a nearby park if they aren't old enough to understand road safety, rather than try and impose your (I don't mean you) "rule" on the neighborhood. That's what I do with my nieces & nephews, and I never have to worry about their safety around vehicles. It is the courteous and responsible thing to do IMO rather than throw up signs and shake my fist at everyone who drives by legally and well within the speed limit.
    I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    The highway is not a closed residential road. You're talking apples and oranges here. Also the posted speed limit is a maximum. It still doesn't mean assholes should rip around our crescent at any time doing the maximum. But this is my block, not OP's so I dont know for sure. But someones jimmies are rustled obviously. If it was me, i would work it out with them directly, or keep to myself.
    I disagree that it's apples and oranges - in both cases there is a very clear law in place, and rather than adjust your lifestyle in light of that, you take it upon yourself to arbitrarily decide what is acceptable and attempt to enforce a law that doesn't exist. As soon as the shoe is on the other foot, the 'enforcers' don't like it either.

- - - Updated - - -

I rest my case.
    I think you misread my post, I was saying the safety of the kids has nothing to do with it for the parents/enforcers, or they would actually do things that guaranteed their kids' safety rather than put blind trust in their signs. Further, I provided very reasonable suggestions to do so.

My Ride
    ute

I disagree that it's apples and oranges - in both cases there is a very clear law in place, and rather than adjust your lifestyle in light of that, you take it upon yourself to arbitrarily decide what is acceptable and attempt to enforce a law that doesn't exist. As soon as the shoe is on the other foot, the 'enforcers' don't like it either.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you misread my post, I was saying the safety of the kids has nothing to do with it for the parents/enforcers, or they would actually do things that guaranteed their kids' safety rather than put blind trust in their signs. Further, I provided very reasonable suggestions to do so.
    What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to change other random people? That would just lead to a life of frustration.

It's a much more noble goal to try to get through life in as harmonious a way as possible, especially if there is no/little cost to you. The "I'm going to show them" type attitude is almost universal in this thread. That attitude can sometimes be beneficial, I guess, if you use it to focus on productive things long term. It's not so useful when handling neighborhood disputes, or traffic incidents. (Ask jabjab). Better advice would be to suggest that we carefully choose the hillsides we want to die on. Upshifting to a quieter gear and taking even another 5km off your speed costs you almost nothing. But in the eyes of your neighbors, you're a "good guy" instead of an "asshole". That's a pretty cheap and asymmetric return on basically zero effort. And yes, it is beneficial to have people like you instead of dislike you, even if those people are annoying or wrong.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

OP, what community is this? Are we allowed to run over the signs?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I’ve got a 25 ton dump truck I can send over if they wanna keep playing chicken

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I remember the thread about the "Slow" signs.

I remember alot of people, including myself, being pretty angry or pissed off that these signs were getting close to the middle of the road or being left there overnight.

I remember thinking how it'd be super easy to just take one and throw it in the trash, but then I also remembered that sometimes people just want their kids to be safe and it's easier to be a decent human being since we're all living in the same block.

I didn't want to let my ego get in the way so I just let it go instead of being salty. Now I don't even feel the need to go talk to them.

#growthbitches

I will say that I used to have a loud exhaust and people tend to equate loudness with speed. And if it's not the speed that's the problem, then the loudness becomes an issue.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to change other random people? That would just lead to a life of frustration.

It's a much more noble goal to try to get through life in as harmonious a way as possible, especially if there is no/little cost to you. The "I'm going to show them" type attitude is almost universal in this thread. That attitude can sometimes be beneficial, I guess, if you use it to focus on productive things long term. It's not so useful when handling neighborhood disputes, or traffic incidents. (Ask jabjab). Better advice would be to suggest that we carefully choose the hillsides we want to die on. Upshifting to a quieter gear and taking even another 5km off your speed costs you almost nothing. But in the eyes of your neighbors, you're a "good guy" instead of an "asshole". That's a pretty cheap and asymmetric return on basically zero effort. And yes, it is beneficial to have people like you instead of dislike you, even if those people are annoying or wrong.
    I agree with you, which is why I think either you're misunderstanding me or I am not explaining myself well. This is exactly why instead of annoying the entire neighborhood with signs and other 'enforcer' nonsense, I take the kids to a playground or to the back yard. I don't want the entire neighborhood to hate me. That is way too much effort for something that such a tiny percentage of people are going to 'obey', and most people just see it as a reason to continue doing it even worse (not saying that' the right response, but it's reality), which makes it LESS safe for the kids. Again, if the 'enforcers' had their kids' safety in mind, they wouldn't keep doing things that attracted the exact opposite type of behavior from drivers by.

My point is that the parents doing this do not have their kids' safety in mind, they do it because it makes them feel powerful or for the neighborhood Facebook group circle jerk or who knows what other reasons. If they want to throw out one of those ridiculous signs as a replacement for their parenting skills, they do not have their kids' best interest in mind. There are ways to all but guarantee their kids' safety, but they choose not to do a laundry list of very reasonable things that would do just that, and instead go about yelling at everyone who drives by faster than their arbitrary speed preference for that particular day. If you want people to dislike you, that is a great way to go about it. If you have a problem with the law, YOU should be the one making the changes, not forcing your will upon EVERYONE else who drives down a public street within the speed limits. I agree with the "high road" approach, and the best place to start is with the 'enforcers' because you are never going to control every driver that drives by.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

We had someone yell at my wife at the lake a few weeks ago for speeding. She was going all of 25, in a 25 zone. Old bat sitting in her driveway staring at the gravel road. It was lakefront too and that was the view she chose to sit at lol.

Some morons are never happy.

That being said, I think this thread is evidence enough of how pissing off your neighbours can make your life difficult so it’s generally worth it to be minimally accommodating as stupid as that sounds. Too many soccer moms in Calgary with way too much free time on their hands. I just feel bad for their whipped soy boy husbands who go along with it...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by ickyflex View Post
    "Drives too fast", "Loud Car = driving fast", "Intentionally revs like a maniac anytime he drives in front of our house now - this is accurate".

I'm not implying I don't retaliate (calling bylaw, intentionally being loud now in front of their house, driving on the side closest to their houses when I have to drive "around" their middle of the street signage)
    Why would you antagonise them? makes 0 sense. try deescalating. works wonders.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I have aftermarket exhausts on most of my vehicles and I ALWAYS keep the revs down in my neighbourhood area.

One neighbour however, has a project car (1970s muscle car) in his garage that he fires up regularly on Friday nights at 11pm and loves to rev the piss out of a cold engine and, what sounds like, straight pipes.

My Ride
    ute

I agree with you, which is why I think either you're misunderstanding me or I am not explaining myself well. This is exactly why instead of annoying the entire neighborhood with signs and other 'enforcer' nonsense, I take the kids to a playground or to the back yard. I don't want the entire neighborhood to hate me. That is way too much effort for something that such a tiny percentage of people are going to 'obey', and most people just see it as a reason to continue doing it even worse (not saying that' the right response, but it's reality), which makes it LESS safe for the kids. Again, if the 'enforcers' had their kids' safety in mind, they wouldn't keep doing things that attracted the exact opposite type of behavior from drivers by.

My point is that the parents doing this do not have their kids' safety in mind, they do it because it makes them feel powerful or for the neighborhood Facebook group circle jerk or who knows what other reasons. If they want to throw out one of those ridiculous signs as a replacement for their parenting skills, they do not have their kids' best interest in mind. There are ways to all but guarantee their kids' safety, but they choose not to do a laundry list of very reasonable things that would do just that, and instead go about yelling at everyone who drives by faster than their arbitrary speed preference for that particular day. If you want people to dislike you, that is a great way to go about it. If you have a problem with the law, YOU should be the one making the changes, not forcing your will upon EVERYONE else who drives down a public street within the speed limits. I agree with the "high road" approach, and the best place to start is with the 'enforcers' because you are never going to control every driver that drives by.
    No, I think we are understanding each other.

You're just focused on things you can't control, and I am focusing on things that you can control (ie your own attitude and behaviour).

No, I think we are understanding each other.

You're just focused on things you can't control, and I am focusing on things that you can control (ie your own attitude and behaviour).
    Well I am confused then. Are you saying people can't control where their kids play? Or are you saying it's easier to attempt to control EVERYONE who drives by your house rather than change your own habits with the added benefit of your kids' safety? Or that it's acceptable behavior to try and enforce the entire neighborhood?

I am saying take the high road - you will never be able to control every driver that drives by, so instead of wasting all your time yelling at people and buying signs and making enemies out of nearly every single person who drives by, take your kids to the park or something. Those are all things very much in people's control - laws and speed limits are not something people can control, nor is it their job to. If you don't like the laws, rather than try make your own, maybe change your behavior such that it doesn't inconvenience the masses.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I have aftermarket exhausts on most of my vehicles and I ALWAYS keep the revs down in my neighbourhood area.

One neighbour however, has a project car (1970s muscle car) in his garage that he fires up regularly on Friday nights at 11pm and loves to rev the piss out of a cold engine and, what sounds like, straight pipes.
    All the straight piped vettes on our street get a free pass from the local circle jerk facebook group. Any ricer kid is doomed to get harassed... guaranteed.

I also take the highroad to avoid my entire street hating me... low rpm's, no downshifting, way under the speed limit. But if I started getting harassed (after doing all that) I dont think I would take it very kindly.

My Ride
    Silverado

I still have no idea how people can be annoyed by those signs. Anytime someone wants to alert me to a hazard on or near the roads I am all for it. I couldn't imagine hitting some poor kid.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I still have no idea how people can be annoyed by those signs. Anytime someone wants to alert me to a hazard on or near the roads I am all for it. I couldn't imagine hitting some poor kid.
    If you've ever been to Auburn Bay, some people put them literally in the middle of the road and around blind corners, so you end up slamming on the brakes unexpectedly when you see the sign (unsafe), or you end up having to drive through a small obstacle course just to get through a neighborhood. If you're driving through a neighborhood, the easiest thing to do is just always assume kids are around and drive accordingly. If people are worried about hitting these signs everywhere, they can't be focusing 100% on watching out for kids.

I couldn't care less if you want to put a sign on your lawn where it's still highly visible (they are usually neon high-vis color) but what most people have a problem with is having them out in the middle of the street. The street is not a playground for kids.

My Ride
    ute

Well I am confused then. Are you saying people can't control where their kids play? Or are you saying it's easier to attempt to control EVERYONE who drives by your house rather than change your own habits with the added benefit of your kids' safety? Or that it's acceptable behavior to try and enforce the entire neighborhood?

I am saying take the high road - you will never be able to control every driver that drives by, so instead of wasting all your time yelling at people and buying signs and making enemies out of nearly every single person who drives by, take your kids to the park or something. Those are all things very much in people's control - laws and speed limits are not something people can control, nor is it their job to. If you don't like the laws, rather than try make your own, maybe change your behavior such that it doesn't inconvenience the masses.
    You're still focusing on giving advice to the parents who are doing this. You can't control those people. You're identifying what OTHER people can do to improve their behaviour. The OP can only control what he does.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Great timing on this thread, I got honked and yelled to slow down in a playground zone while cruise control was set to 30 yesterday. I've completely given up. Cunty bitches will be cunty bitches, can't change a Karen.

I like @BavarianBeast approach, and practice it myself. You'll never win, might as well play their fucking game. I always make it a point to drive in the lowest gear, exhaust flaps open, and at the speed limit by every single house with a "children playing slow down" sign. I mean if they're too lazy to parent, I'm too lazy to pay attention, so the loud exhaust farts should get the kids attention and back the fuck off. Laziness goes both ways.

It's funny, I have neighbours that have way louder cars and bikes than me. Few houses down lives an R8 V10 that's pretty loud at night. My kids learnt to sleep over noise, now they can sleep through anything. I don't know why you'd want peace and quiet with young kids, totally counterintuitive.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

The obvious solution is to chain each of your right hand wrists with six feet of slack, and then drop a knife in the middle.

0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast