Quantcast
Dash cam powering options - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dash cam powering options

Default Dash cam powering options

How is everyone powering their dash cams? My cigarette lighter has a constant power feed to it so leaving it plugged into there isn't the best option if the car isn't started for a few days. Some people hardwire it so that it turns on when the car is on.

I've seen motion detection add ons where it connects to your obd2 port and only turns the camera on with there is motion sensed. Has anyone used this ?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I have an unused circuit in my coupe for rear power windows, used a fuse tap aka add-a-circuit in that and can power up to 10A of gear which only comes on when the vehicle is on, one of which is my dash cam.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I hard wire all mine. I don't buy the hardwire kits with the dual power option so I only have the power-on with the car, and relying on the battery/capacitor for parking motion video.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Hard-wire to ACC using fuse tap for power while vehicle is on. Turns off with the car turning off.

Power Magic Pro + Blackvue DR900s 2CH. Parking mode power is connected to the door locks fuse (which is 24/7 power).

Self plug; Here's a detailed video of my setup / installation / hard-wire. If you need some help feel free to PM me.

My previous DR750

When I upgraded and swapped over to the DR900

I saw this and it works with my camera:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think this is good as it gives the ability to turn on with motion and then save battery and not have it one when not needed. Looks like a piece of cake install.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

To be very honest, the "motion detection" feature on almost every dash-cam on the market is pretty shitty right now. By the time they detect motion and begin recording it's almost too late and almost always misses the first few seconds (which can be the most important). I've found this issue with all of the Viofo Dashcams (A119, A129) and the Blackvue's (DR750, DR900) which are a bit different because they all loop record 24/7 with a Power Magic Pro setup - But the 'event recording' is delayed, and that's pretty much the top of the line Dashcam on the market.

I can't imagine something like that Aukey device you linked being very good at all specifically because it has to POWER up the device. Next time you turn the car on and your Dashcam pay attention to how long it takes to actually boot up and start recording. My DR900s takes at least 10 seconds. The device cannot physically work any other way and by the time it detects some motion, the window could already be smashed, or the car already hit and run, before the time that Aukey device even powers up your Dashcam.

Power Magic Pro or equivalent (there's also some external battery packs out there) with a Dashcam capable of recording 24/7 is the best option. (When a Dashcam claims to have 'parking mode' that simply means the sensor is physically capable of recording that long of a time without overheating / failing by the way) Some of the cheaper ones on the market aren't that good in the end at this, despite their specs. / claims.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Side note; Amazon returns are so damn easy, you could buy that, try it out and see if it works for you and if not simply return it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Side note; Amazon returns are so damn easy, you could buy that, try it out and see if it works for you and if not simply return it!
    good idea! I think I will order it and see how it pans out. I can see it being better than people that hard wire it to turn on when the car cause with that way you get no parking monitor but the way you mentioned would be the best if this thing doesn't work.

thanks

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I can see it being better than people that hard wire it to turn on when the car cause with that way you get no parking monitor
    thanks
    There's two ways to hard wire which I'm not sure you're fulling understanding;

1- Hardwire a dashcam to operate ONLY when the vehicle turns on and off.
    2- Hardwire a Parking mode system (Power Magic Pro, or VIOFO HK3ACC) to allow the dashcam to operate when the vehicle is turned off. (Overnight, parking, etc.) This is how people get the "parking monitoring" you're referring to. My DR900S is recording literally 24/7, every day, all day, every night, everywhere.

3 - That OBD 'motion sensor' you're looking at on Amazon will run power 24/7 (and it doesn't look to have a timer or voltage meter, so it might drain your battery) that will turn power on to the dashcam when it detects motion. But like I said, dashcams take a bit of time to boot up and then begin recording so by the time that motion happens, it'll most likely be already over before the dashcam is even recording. It will only be beneficial if the motion happens for a period of time. (Recently, last week, my dashcam captured a car parked ahead of me downtown get the window smashed and they stole change or something from the car. The thief was in and out in under 5 seconds flat. I submitted the dashcam footage to CPS.)

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Mine is sitting right behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side, so I don't even see the camera day to day, and it's hard wired right into the rear-view mirror power, which has the Garage Opener/Compass built in and only turns on with car power.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Mine is sitting right behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side, so I don't even see the camera day to day, and it's hard wired right into the rear-view mirror power, which has the Garage Opener/Compass built in and only turns on with car power.
    What did you use to drop the voltage from 12v to 5v in such a short span?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Exactly what I did myself. Works great as long as you have power running there. I know you arent really supposed to add a powered item to a circuit like that but I figure it draws so little....

The car I have it installed on is older and doesn't have any power to the mirror or anything. I picked up the motion sensor cause it was made for the Aukey DR2. So far it's working but yes there is a delay on when it actually turns on, maybe 30 seconds or so. The motion detector connects via the obd2 port which probably draws alot less power than the cigarette lighter.

I'll be looking to hard wire the radar detector soon tho.