Quantcast
Disney+ - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Disney+

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Nissan
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Disney+

    With lots of announcements of future series coming to Disney+ from the D23 expo, letís make a thread about it! Anyone getting in to the bandwagon?
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,101
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    I hate Disney the corporation, but I'm probably getting it.
    Double-meat sub dreams.
    Public Mobile referral code: 88M4Y9

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    243
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate Disney the corporation, but I'm probably getting it.
    I'm fine with them, but the Golden Age of streaming services is rapidly coming to an end. Instead of cutting cable and getting by on Netflix, we're now going to "need" Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Crave which is going to cost more than the cable we all felt was too much when we started down this path.
    Le fail!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,679
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Cable was just a distribution network. With the streaming services you are paying for the actual content, rather than a fee to a middle-man like Shaw.

    Cable was a poor value because the content was all garbage network TV shows, garbage specialty cable channels, and sports.

    Netflix and Disney rae turning your dollars into actual content. And its aweome.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    100% Bow tie
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm fine with them, but the Golden Age of streaming services is rapidly coming to an end. Instead of cutting cable and getting by on Netflix, we're now going to "need" Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Crave which is going to cost more than the cable we all felt was too much when we started down this path.
    Le fail!
    Well the masses wanted to stick it to the big bad cable companies plus network providers and now this looks like what they'll get - options albeit at a greater price. Now granted, they all can be an on demand type of service but they also control what content they wish to make available. Currently we have a TELUS package that includes Crave and we also have Netflix and Prime on the side - I suppose the only thing that makes it all somewhat digestible is me getting 40% off of my TELUS services.

    Now what does this mean for a National Geographic specialty channels as the are partly owned by Disney - will they remain as a part of my TELUS package or will they be migrated over to Disney+? Crap, I just discovered ESPN is owned mostly by Disney as well.
    Last edited by speedog; 08-24-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    Moran supreme

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    There's a reason why Disney is so successful, I'm sure their streaming service is going to be great
    Surprised that it hasn't been confirmed on firetv yet. I'm sure that'll change come launch day

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Moo Town
    My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    +1 what Buster said.

    Basic cable is at least 20 bucks a month but for $16.99 I have access to everything on Netflix with no commercials either.

    You don't "need" to have everything under the sun and you can also cancel subscriptions with a click of a button.

    Our streaming era is great. Fuck cable television lol.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2019 F150 Lariat 3.5L BOOST!
    Posts
    4,117
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    +1 what Buster said.

    Basic cable is at least 20 bucks a month but for $16.99 I have access to everything on Netflix with no commercials either.

    You don't "need" to have everything under the sun and you can also cancel subscriptions with a click of a button.

    Our streaming era is great. Fuck cable television lol.
    Your argument makes no sense. What you just said is now instead of paying 1 company to distribute everything and picking what you want from them, you pick a bunch of smaller companies, and pay a lesser amount to each of them, but when combined, makes it more expensive than paying the initial first company... does not compute...

    feels like we are taking a step back. We used to / still can get all of our wanted programmings from one place, but now we want to go and get them from multiple places...

    Netflix was awesome. One stop shop, no commercials, on demand programming. Now we have to subscribe to multiple streaming services, and pay more bills, which will probably add up to more than what I pay for my regular cable bill.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    243
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your argument makes no sense. What you just said is now instead of paying 1 company to distribute everything and picking what you want from them, you pick a bunch of smaller companies, and pay a lesser amount to each of them, but when combined, makes it more expensive than paying the initial first company... does not compute...

    feels like we are taking a step back. We used to / still can get all of our wanted programmings from one place, but now we want to go and get them from multiple places...

    Netflix was awesome. One stop shop, no commercials, on demand programming. Now we have to subscribe to multiple streaming services, and pay more bills, which will probably add up to more than what I pay for my regular cable bill.
    This is my thinking, as well. We spend ____ hours staring at a rectangle each week, regardless. Now the content has been spread out to the point that the cost is higher than it was with the guys we did nothing but bitch about being too expensive. Our $/hr entertainment rate has gone up and we still spend the same hours.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    C63S + AT4
    Posts
    4,139
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I donít see how multiple streaming services is any worse than cable.

    Want basic channels? 50 bucks a month, liken this to just having Netflix.

    Want more? Scales up from there just like adding on additional streaming services.

    Want HBO channels? Thatís another add on.

    NFL Sunday ticket? More cost.

    Specialty movies? Please add more.

    I donít see how have a few different streaming services is any different.

    I could probably subscribe to every streaming service under the sun, including the dedicated sports ones, and pay about the same as full cable but for a 50x better experience. Cable needs to either innovate and offer a better experience for what they charge (looking at you Shaw on no plans for 4K content and itís almost 2020) or die.

    As it stands Iíll be cancelling my cable next June when my Bluesky contract expires, what a waste of money.

    The difference is now the control is far more in the hands of the consumer for who they want to give their money to
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    243
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I donít see how multiple streaming services is any worse than cable.

    Want basic channels? 50 bucks a month, liken this to just having Netflix.

    Want more? Scales up from there just like adding on additional streaming services.

    Want HBO channels? Thatís another add on.

    NFL Sunday ticket? More cost.

    Specialty movies? Please add more.

    I donít see how have a few different streaming services is any different.

    I could probably subscribe to every streaming service under the sun, including the dedicated sports ones, and pay about the same as full cable but for a 50x better experience. Cable needs to either innovate and offer a better experience for what they charge (looking at you Shaw on no plans for 4K content and itís almost 2020) or die.

    As it stands Iíll be cancelling my cable next June when my Bluesky contract expires, what a waste of money.

    The difference is now the control is far more in the hands of the consumer for who they want to give their money to
    You're not wrong, but consider it this way. About 20+ years ago, to keep up with the shows everyone was watching, you needed to see Seinfeld, Friends, Simpsons, Survivor and probably a couple others. Not an exhaustive list, but all on cable.
    Now you need to watch Better Call Saul, Top Gear, Gay of Thrones, Ozark and whatever kids stuff if you have kids and that locks you into cable, plus 3 other services.
    Yes, you always had the option of adding infinite shit in cable but now I think it's worse than before just to keep up with the popular shows.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Blandness
    Posts
    7,016
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    feels like we are taking a step back. We used to / still can get all of our wanted programmings from one place, but now we want to go and get them from multiple places...
    Because as said we can pick and choose what we want, and cancel it at the drop of a hat. Something cable companies refused to let us do for decades. Also I have no problem paying more for no god damn commercials.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    8,118
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    The only reservation I have about Disney+ is that it is sticking with old TV model of no binge. You have to wait for weekly release of episodes.

    And it's probably matter of time, ads comes back into play, especially on hulu.

    So while I agree with Buster to a degree, we are not better off and I think eventually we will end up where we started, back to pirating.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Moo Town
    My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your argument makes no sense. What you just said is now instead of paying 1 company to distribute everything and picking what you want from them, you pick a bunch of smaller companies, and pay a lesser amount to each of them, but when combined, makes it more expensive than paying the initial first company... does not compute...

    feels like we are taking a step back. We used to / still can get all of our wanted programmings from one place, but now we want to go and get them from multiple places...

    Netflix was awesome. One stop shop, no commercials, on demand programming. Now we have to subscribe to multiple streaming services, and pay more bills, which will probably add up to more than what I pay for my regular cable bill.
    I never said anything about paying multiple companies. In fact, I literally said that you don't need to have subscriptions to everything.

    Personally, I only have Netflix and Prime which was included with my annual Amazon fee. It is usually enough for what I need.

    People who subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Crave, and HBO simultaneously aren't using their money wisely over the long term unless you're just sitting there binging every single day just to make it worth your while, or if you don't mind paying to have an excess of title choice. I am not convinced that you wouldn't be spending a pretty penny on a mack daddy premium, everything-under-the-sun television package.

    I have options, though. For any titles that aren't on Netflix or Prime, I just download them off YTS.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 08-26-2019 at 08:40 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only reservation I have about Disney+ is that it is sticking with old TV model of no binge. You have to wait for weekly release of episodes.

    And it's probably matter of time, ads comes back into play, especially on hulu.
    Hulu has the premium ad free option. Disney+ has a bundle offer for Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ but you can not get it ad free in a bundle. So yea, they're forcing ads on Hulu back in play if you want the discounted bundle pricing.

    Not that it matters in Canada, it's US only for Hulu and ESPN+. I use it behind a VPN. Going to miss commercial free.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never said anything about paying multiple companies. In fact, I literally said that you don't need to have subscriptions to everything.

    Personally, I only have Netflix and Prime which was included with my annual Amazon fee. It is usually enough for what I need.

    People who subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Crave, and HBO simultaneously aren't using their money wisely over the long term unless you're just sitting there binging every single day just to make it worth your while, or if you don't mind paying to have an excess of title choice. I am not convinced that you wouldn't be spending a pretty penny on a mack daddy premium, everything-under-the-sun television package.

    I have options, though. For any titles that aren't on Netflix or Prime, I just download them off YTS.
    That's a long way of saying "I'll just buy the base package and steal the rest".
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Moo Town
    My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    17

    Default



    Touche

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2019 F150 Lariat 3.5L BOOST!
    Posts
    4,117
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a long way of saying "I'll just buy the base package and steal the rest".
    That's kind of the point I failed to iterate. In addition to requiring the subscription to multiple streaming sources and paying an equivalent amount to what you would pay for a cable package, it is just going to push people back to pirating. That's what I am doing again. I had stopped because pretty much everything I wanted to watch was on Netflix. Now, a lot of that programming is being clawed back over the past few years and moving to various streaming platforms, and I am using Netflix a lot less. and now I am finding that I am starting to resort to Pirate Bay again after not using it once over the last 3ish years.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Moo Town
    My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Well, to be fair, his point is more in jest. I pirate it if it's a new title that just came out, or if it's not available on the Netflix/Prime platform.

    If you're paying for cable TV, that new title is not going to be available right away either so it's a moot point.

    You make it sound like multiple subscription services are a necessity. They aren't.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    The music industry has moved in the right direction with an "all you can eat" subscription model under a single roof. Spotify, Apple Music works, and even hold outs are joining so you literally get all music for one price. I'm just not sure if or when Hollywood and TV networks are ready for such a move. The stakes are much higher as production budgets are much higher in TV vs Music.

    I don't expect things to change much, as each provider is doing all they can to maximize revenues right now, and slowly shifting from licensing to others to stream to building streaming services themselves.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Converter/Descrambler to copy my Disney VHS movies to my DVD recorder

    By pei_boy in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 06-13-2005, 11:10 PM
  2. Disney's Cars

    By Superesc in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 18
    Latest Threads: 11-18-2004, 12:53 PM
  3. Weinsteins Buy 'Fahrenheit 9/11' from Disney

    By Cyruss12 in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 05-28-2004, 03:37 PM
  4. Disney Logo

    By KELSTAR in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Latest Threads: 04-22-2004, 12:31 PM
  5. Disney a bunch or pervs?

    By Danger_Mouse in forum General
    Replies: 19
    Latest Threads: 11-11-2003, 01:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •