Quantcast
Edmonton declares state of climate emergency - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Edmonton declares state of climate emergency

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Serious question though - what should be in AB be doing to PREPARE for the climate change ?

Presumably, hotter summer and colder winters?

- more solar panels?
    - improved home build standards?
    - white paint on south facing walls?
    - insurance companies to incentivize more hail resistant materials? (eg. no more vinyl siding or cheap asphalt roofing?)
    I think it should be treated more like a engineering problem/opportunity. Climate change is going to happen regardless. So how do we as a species adapt to our changing environment?

The potential for some of the things you listed above are immense. Especially from a business standpoint. Then those technologies/product can be exported to other nations.
    There is opportunity to develop better infrastructure and technologies for disasters, flood, hail, fire etc.

Serious question though - what should be in AB be doing to PREPARE for the climate change ?

Presumably, hotter summer and colder winters?

- more solar panels?
    - improved home build standards?
    - white paint on south facing walls?
    - insurance companies to incentivize more hail resistant materials? (eg. no more vinyl siding or cheap asphalt roofing?)
    Calgary is the sunniest city in all of Canada, solar probably makes the most sense. I imagine Edmonton isn't too much different being so close.

I guess if they are covered in snow though they won't work so well haha.

I like your idea about incentives for hail-resistant building choices though - could extend this to vehicles too with garages/car ports.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I think it should be treated more like a engineering problem/opportunity. Climate change is going to happen regardless. So how do we as a species adapt to our changing environment?

The potential for some of the things you listed above are immense. Especially from a business standpoint. Then those technologies/product can be exported to other nations.
    There is opportunity to develop better infrastructure and technologies for disasters, flood, hail, fire etc.
    Exactly - instead of crying alarmist tears and 'socially acceptable' carbon tax BS (which no doubt just go into general revenue, just like the airline security tax after 9/11), we should be planning on HOW to deal with the inevitable changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Calgary is the sunniest city in all of Canada, solar probably makes the most sense. I imagine Edmonton isn't too much different being so close.

I guess if they are covered in snow though they won't work so well haha.

I like your idea about incentives for hail-resistant building choices though - could extend this to vehicles too with garages/car ports.
    Azimuth, man, azimuth. That is the problem. The sun is too low in the sky in winter.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Send money to Africa
    Will they use it to bless the rains down there?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

"There is no denying climate change". Maybe not, but there certainly is reasonable doubt that it is "man made". How has it been proven scientifically, other than just pointing out results, not method (ie temperature increase), that man produced carbon emissions are the cause of the temp increasing? If you look at the ice core results drilled at the NEEM project, for the last 15,000 years that they pulled, the planet has had increases frequently, and to temps much higher than the worst predictions of the doom is coming Eco-evangelist climate change people. Hell, even just 2000 years ago during the time of Julius Caeser, it was hotter then than it's going to get now (again, according to the wacko predictions).

And besides all that, lets say for argument's sake that man made carbon emissions are 100% responsible for the current increase in overall global temps. How does crippling Western economies help, relying on technology that does NOT work well enough to mitigate the carbon release (I'm talking carbon capture, energy efficient this and that, solar, wind, all of it), or plain just shutting down fossil fuel energy industries, even matter when the largest culprit when it comes to carbon release is CHINA, and they DGAF, not a single fuck, about it, or doing anything about it, other than laughing at another stupid Western move should we cripple ourselves to try and reverse "climate change", while they don't participate.

Regarding solar panels - yes they are great, we've had a solar array at our lake home since 2012. Want to see pics of what 2 different hail storms did to it?

https://i.imgur.com/jMYrvtn.jpg
    Last edited by Gman.45; 08-28-2019 at 05:22 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Blasphemer!!!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by gman.45 View Post
    "there is no denying climate change". Maybe not, but there certainly is reasonable doubt that it is "man made". How has it been proven scientifically, other than just pointing out results, not method (ie temperature increase), that man produced carbon emissions are the cause of the temp increasing? If you look at the ice core results drilled at the neem project, for the last 15,000 years that they pulled, the planet has had increases frequently, and to temps much higher than the worst predictions of the doom is coming eco-evangelist climate change people. Hell, even just 2000 years ago during the time of julius caeser, it was hotter then than it's going to get now (again, according to the wacko predictions).

And besides all that, lets say for argument's sake that man made carbon emissions are 100% responsible for the current increase in overall global temps. How does crippling western economies help, relying on technology that does not work well enough to mitigate the carbon release (i'm talking carbon capture, energy efficient this and that, solar, wind, all of it), or plain just shutting down fossil fuel energy industries, even matter when the largest culprit when it comes to carbon release is china, and they dgaf, not a single fuck, about it, or doing anything about it, other than laughing at another stupid western move should we cripple ourselves to try and reverse "climate change", while they don't participate.

Regarding solar panels - yes they are great, we've had a solar array at our lake home since 2012. Want to see pics of what 2 different hail storms did to it?

https://i.imgur.com/jmyrvtn.jpg
    HOW DARE YOU QUESTION “science”
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    "There is no denying climate change". Maybe not, but there certainly is reasonable doubt that it is "man made". How has it been proven scientifically, other than just pointing out results, not method (ie temperature increase), that man produced carbon emissions are the cause of the temp increasing? If you look at the ice core results drilled at the NEEM project, for the last 15,000 years that they pulled, the planet has had increases frequently, and to temps much higher than the worst predictions of the doom is coming Eco-evangelist climate change people. Hell, even just 2000 years ago during the time of Julius Caeser, it was hotter then than it's going to get now (again, according to the wacko predictions).

And besides all that, lets say for argument's sake that man made carbon emissions are 100% responsible for the current increase in overall global temps. How does crippling Western economies help, relying on technology that does NOT work well enough to mitigate the carbon release (I'm talking carbon capture, energy efficient this and that, solar, wind, all of it), or plain just shutting down fossil fuel energy industries, even matter when the largest culprit when it comes to carbon release is CHINA, and they DGAF, not a single fuck, about it, or doing anything about it, other than laughing at another stupid Western move should we cripple ourselves to try and reverse "climate change", while they don't participate.

https://i.imgur.com/jMYrvtn.jpg
    Carbon capture works. It works quite well and is economic.

But that is the problem. It works, but everybody thinks you can put on a solar powered beanie and charge your Tesla with it and fuck "BIG OIL" at the same time.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Will they use it to bless the rains down there?
    Probably. I mean - it's gonna take some time to do the things we never had

My Ride
    K-car

Unfortunately the alarmist, hyperbole is exactly that is driving many uninformed the other way - to denial.

Most dont know that the climate has been changing/oscillating for billions of years and will continue to do so.

However, I would NOT encourage ocean-front property.
    Places like Miami are already experiencing some high tide flooding. Places like YVR and Richmond wont be around for much longer (eg. 20-50 years).
    Anything west coast is iffy. Personally, I think the earthquake threat there is just as real as flooding. The coastal area from northern California all the way up to BC is part of one huge subduction zone with the very real possibility of a 9+ mag quakes.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by corsvette View Post
    Anything west coast is iffy. Personally, I think the earthquake threat there is just as real as flooding. The coastal area from northern California all the way up to BC is part of one huge subduction zone with the very real possibility of a 9+ mag quakes.
    Oh dude, they are overdue for a localized 8+ quake as is, and a 9+ is also a real possibility. The big one there will essentially drown the lower areas of the west coast as the entire plate will suddenly subside down 3-5 meters closer to its edge. This means good bye Long Beach. Happened before and will happen again.

YVR and Richmond will be gone if an 8+ strikes near by, eg. Seattle (sand liquification). I was working at YVR when the 4+ quake struck Seattle in 2001 and it was pretty serious as the sand acts as an amplifier.
    Last edited by revelations; 08-28-2019 at 07:43 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It sure does give me a fuzzy feeling to know that, one day, California is doomed to disappear.

If only Ontario had the same predicament...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Carbon capture works. It works quite well and is economic.

But that is the problem. It works, but everybody thinks you can put on a solar powered beanie and charge your Tesla with it and fuck "BIG OIL" at the same time.
    You're right, carbon capture does work, some energy companies have had great success capturing and reusing carbon. But not all, and if it was an "easy fix" and worked flawlessly industry wide, it would be in mass use and the tree huggers would stfu about it. Neither has happened, nor will it anytime soon, the tech just isn't there yet at a cost that is manageable.

I gotta say, compared to weather as a kid - Calgary is literally starting to turn into a 5 degree to mid-teen Celsius paradise with that one cold snap to kill off all the insects - which is just fine by me.

All we need now is a 10x increase in water purification/distribution so that noone has to think twice about watering.

https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/how...n-2286247.html

Because y'know green lawn is everything.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2