Quantcast
Solar Power generation in Alberta - Truly competitive now, or soon? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar Power generation in Alberta - Truly competitive now, or soon?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm a firm believer that solar will be the dominant power generation source within my lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/nrg/sttstc...index-eng.html

The "official" government report basically says thumbs up for Sask and PEI. Nova Scotia and Alberta because of its Rocky mountain cloud destroying sunny weather is doable with slight subsidies. Assuming break even and current solar cell pricing.

No doubt this will become viable for the entirety of Canada soon enough.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

No sooner had I posted the other post when google news pops up this article on my feed:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gate-1.5261539

Yup, solar panels have come a long way. In the 1970's just a little after the moon landing, they quoted specs of "earth" and not satellite solar panels at around $75 to $140 per watt (not adjusted for inflation even)

I can imagine that at 25 cents per watt, is when people will start jumping onboard as a "viable alternative".

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    No sooner had I posted the other post when google news pops up this article on my feed:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gate-1.5261539
    Pretty impressive @ 1.5 million panels. Alberta has the natural advantage of cool climate, which improves longevity and output. They long term test rate lifespan of solar panels based on 25 Celsius, which pretty much means closer to halved lifespan in places like Arizona - But potentially doubled lifespan in Alberta.

In the absolute hottest days of an Alberta summer, they actually might slightly offset the panels if peak demand is not there - just to keep the panels a few degrees cooler.

My Ride
    something green

Technological changes in the equipment can change the pay back time, and not for the better. I'm being told by my in-laws that their system installed in the 90's required a bunch of upgrades and changes when the inverter and controller failed. Now they are tacking on another decade or so.
    Too loud for Aspen

Of course you just know that when they finish, I'm going to visit for a tour and measure what angle they end up using

https://greengatepower.com/travers-solar-400-mw

They even show a slight outline of the sections of land that will be used, slightly off Travers dam on Lake McGregor. I know the area quite well, it is a great spot for solar, as well as the small chance that climate changes the weather so much that we get crazy rain - electrical infrastructure can also be re-used for the trickle of water excess that goes through there.

Found the one farmer in that entire area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.25193...7i13312!8i6656
    Last edited by ZenOps; 09-02-2019 at 10:41 AM.

The problem with nuclear is that it is ridiculously expensive to maintain. You literally have to have a team of experts around watching it literally every millisecond and millions of sensors. If something goes wrong like a coolant pipe L joint starting to fail, you need extremely specialized equipment procedures and an entire shutdown procedure to make sure its done right. Its usually a good idea, and might even be a requirement to have a military base beside it just in case someone tries to steal some uranium too.

If a panel fails, literally an 18-year old technology student with a pair of $20 electrician gloves could replace it.

Realistically Alberta is the best place for solar. The entirety of the east coast of the USA, hurricanes. West coast? Earthquakes. Coasts in general? Cloudy/foggy weather off the ocean, as well as saltwater moisture damage. Mexico? Hot weather will degrade panels faster. Deserts? Sand will very quickly erode the surfaces of solar panels.

Last edited by ZenOps; 09-05-2019 at 05:40 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

This was the video I was talking about earlier.
    It explains the problems and limitations of Solar using California as a example.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not really solar, but I figured the same people woukd be interested. Several battery storage projects are in the works in Alberta, which could provide some big advantages, or at least lessen some of the disadvantages, of wind and other renewable energy. Side benefit is they may make the grid more stable.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...-4818d852598b/
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgary Herald
    TransAlta set to flip switch on Alberta's first large-scale battery storage project, using technology from Tesla
    Chris Varcoe: If the technology works on a larger scale, it could be a 'game-changer' for the electricity industry
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

So how much more will this add to my fixed energy fees?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think all new wind power projects, and probably most solar projects, will have some amount of storage attached to them. Tha6s not making them cheaper to build, but it may not make them any more expensive per kWh.

Although I do belive that Alberta electricity is going nowhere but up. I also think it's a matter of time before we see time-of-day pricing for residential electricity too.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The more and more I learn about alternative energy, the more I think AB should become a geothermal and greenhouse powerhouse to sell food and electricity to the rest of the country.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I also think it's a matter of time before we see time-of-day pricing for residential electricity too.
    I think that would be a great move. Most of Spain's electricity providers offer different plans, including some where you have peak and non-peak hours (often flexible to the hours you choose). I pay half as much during my discount hours so that's when I do laundry and use the dishwasher.

It makes complete sense to try and encourage consumers to help flatten the duck curve or at least move consumption to when electricity production is cheaper/from more renewable sources.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    The more and more I learn about alternative energy, the more I think AB should become a geothermal and greenhouse powerhouse to sell food and electricity to the rest of the country.
    Just like we sell oil to the rest of the country?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    I think that would be a great move. Most of Spain's electricity providers offer different plans, including some where you have peak and non-peak hours (often flexible to the hours you choose). I pay half as much during my discount hours so that's when I do laundry and use the dishwasher.

It makes complete sense to try and encourage consumers to help flatten the duck curve or at least move consumption to when electricity production is cheaper/from more renewable sources.
    So many places in the world have this. Alberta suffers shortages particularly in summer months for residential AC use in the evening. It makes great sense to implement. It'll take time to get the right meters installed and the systems in place, but we should start asap.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

An electrical engineer come up with this? Nice.

Name:  nn.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  486.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

A while back I had a client at the shop who was involved in a company promoting microgrid powered neighbourhoods being the thing of the future rather huge transmission all around the entire country. His arguments we honestly interesting and seemingly smart and viable although I never explored it further. It obviously would not be something initially cost effective, but long term is it something that could be a problem solver, especially in places like Canada where we have such long distances between cities? I can see issues but I can also see benefits. Any thoughts on this?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    A while back I had a client at the shop who was involved in a company promoting microgrid powered neighbourhoods being the thing of the future rather huge transmission all around the entire country. His arguments we honestly interesting and seemingly smart and viable although I never explored it further. It obviously would not be something initially cost effective, but long term is it something that could be a problem solver, especially in places like Canada where we have such long distances between cities? I can see issues but I can also see benefits. Any thoughts on this?
    You need good battery packs. Tethla is doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast