Quantcast
"Living wage" $22 in San Fran and $24 in New York. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Living wage" $22 in San Fran and $24 in New York.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you elaborate? Both are extremely reasonable for someone on a very tight budget. Hell, people on this forum who are likely way above the poverty line are paying less than that for their phone. I also just signed my Aunt up for a $40/mo plan.
    Going as cheap as possible is not 'extremely reasonable' or "very livable", regardless of it being "doable". Living wage is supposed to have some quality of life, not literally the bare minimum to survive. If that was the case, then might as well just spend $50 on a good tarp from Princess auto and then scrounge out of dumpsters.

These guys did a pretty decent look at a more 'reasonable' budget, even if some of it could be deleted if you truly hated yourself.
    https://www.lowestrates.ca/blog/life...-edmonton-2017

"Data from Statistics Canada shows the average household of 2.5 people in Alberta spends an average of $7,112 per year on groceries, which is $594 a month or $237.60 per person. This doesn’t include alcohol or any dining out, just trips to the grocery store."

So your random 100 is less then half what the average is. Sure, you can eat ichiban every day and get to $100..but is that reasonable? Show me a healthy diet that works on 100/month.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    $100 a month for food sounds about right...............if you're eating kraft dinner for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday of the month.

Marth checks out.
    I'm not even sure $100 a month would cover KD. If you ate 2 boxes a day for 1750kCal, the noodles alone will cost $50 a month, not including the butter and milk.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I'm not even sure $100 a month would cover KD. If you ate 2 boxes a day for 1750kCal, the noodles alone will cost $50 a month, not including the butter and milk.
    Butter and milk?
    You mean water lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Going as cheap as possible is not 'extremely reasonable' or "very livable", regardless of it being "doable". Living wage is supposed to have some quality of life, not literally the bare minimum to survive. If that was the case, then might as well just spend $50 on a good tarp from Princess auto and then scrounge out of dumpsters.
    How is unlimited everything and a few GB of data "as cheap as possible"? I think signing up with Koodo or some other budget carrier instead of the big 3 is an extremely reasonable compromise for someone on a very tight budget, and likely not to even have any disadvantage at all. With the amount of Free WiFi around, someone on a budget could easily make do with an even cheaper plan if they were willing to put in a tiny bit of extra effort. If your idea of having "some quality of life" is a $1500 iPhone XS and a $90/mo plan, then I don't know what to say.

My Ride
    Bicycle

$100 a month for food sounds about right...............if you're eating kraft dinner for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday of the month.

Marth checks out.
    $1 Longsim Shin noodle, 3 a day, 30 days is only $90. I still save $10.

But really, you can really stretch it by doing only 2 a day and buy cheaper noodles and make 2 flavor packets to last 3 meals!

Yeah, $100/mth is really low. No way to stay healthy for less than $400/mth which works out to average of $5/meal. Especially when you are by yourself so you don't have saving by volume.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-04-2019 at 11:21 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

How is unlimited everything and a few GB of data "as cheap as possible"? I think signing up with Koodo or some other budget carrier instead of the big 3 is an extremely reasonable compromise for someone on a very tight budget, and likely not to even have any disadvantage at all. With the amount of Free WiFi around, someone on a budget could easily make do with an even cheaper plan if they were willing to put in a tiny bit of extra effort. If your idea of having "some quality of life" is a $1500 iPhone XS and a $90/mo plan, then I don't know what to say.
    Not at all, but the plans you're speaking of are typically BYOD anyway, so wheres your phone cost? Assuming free wifi use is also unrealistic for most people at their homes, unless they're living downtown (and there goes your rent amount)

So... nothing for healthy diets? They dont need to be gourmet, but id prefer our health care system to deal with people who have eaten a vegetable more then once a week..

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I don't know how much family packs are, but you'd have to wait for them to go on sale for $1 per box if buying individually.

1*3*30*1.05 = 94.50, leaving you enough to buy your next winning lotto ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

But really, you can really stretch it by doing only 2 a day and buy cheaper noodles and make 2 flavor packets to last 3 meals!
    I don't even want to think about what happens to the body in the long run. I'm sure there's a documentary out there somewhere on effects of substandard nutrition on health.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Not at all, but the plans you're speaking of are typically BYOD anyway, so wheres your phone cost? Assuming free wifi use is also unrealistic for most people at their homes, unless they're living downtown (and there goes your rent amount)

So... nothing for healthy diets? They dont need to be gourmet, but id prefer our health care system to deal with people who have eaten a vegetable more then once a week..
    It is not a BYOD plan - in the case of the plan we got my Aunt, she got a Motorola G7 for free which is actually a pretty awesome phone considering the low cost. If you didn't want that, a 2-3 year old phone on Kijiji or a hand-me-down from a family member is super easy to get for most people and either free or extremely cheap.

I already said what I used to eat - I would make big stews of lentils, tons of veggies, beef, etc. in a slow cooker and I would put that into zip-lock containers and eat that for at least a week. You can also freeze it to help with not eating the same thing every day. I'd shop at Superstore or Costco and buy bulk. Breakfast was usually steel cut oats, which again is ridiculously cheap for a gigantic bag and healthy. If you want a gourmet meal perfectly covering all food groups and perfectly nutritious, well 99% of the population doesn't even eat that way, so I don't think it's reasonable to apply that standard to someone barely scraping by on minimum wage. I'll also add that I did it by choice and largely by accident - it was more a case of getting to the end of the month, seeing my CC bill, and thinking to myself "holy shit I ate for about $100 this month" haha. I like a good hearty stew, what can I say. Eggs are another really cheap option to get protein, vitamins, etc. - if I recall correctly, it's less than $10 for 24 organic large eggs at Costco, and I imagine the non-organic white eggs are even cheaper.

Anyways the budget I very roughly laid out had over $1000 of "leftover" money, so if you needed more for food you could raise that portion of the budget. My interpretation of a living wage was never the bare minimum, but I feel it should definitely include reasonable compromises.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-04-2019 at 12:03 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I don't even want to think about what happens to the body in the long run. I'm sure there's a documentary out there somewhere on effects of substandard nutrition on health.
    Of course it's a joke, more than 2 a week already have impact.

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...s/201408220162

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quite the opposite actually, my GF works in a field that sees these sort of things on a daily basis and I have volunteered for organizations that deal with similar issues. It's the first hand experience with so many people who refuse to help themselves that leaves me with these opinions. By far and away the most common issue is the people don't even try to use the resources offered to them to better their lives and that of their kid(s), even when it is spoon fed to them they decline.
    ... not the response I was expecting. Awesome.

My main point of contention was with this statement:

You shouldn't be having kids in the first place IMO if you don't have a contingency plan for a divorce scenario and can't even afford to take care of them.
    My attitude stems from when my mother had me at 22, completely unexpected, and due to pressure from her family decided to proceed with the pregnancy. This put her in a position, because she couldn't afford childcare, where she had to care for me and work several jobs.

Life happens, with or without planning. I think we need to be more empathetic with respect to that.

Your points re: resource utilization are not something I have visibility into, but I think it's valid and that is another thing we need to be doing better- letting these parents/families know that they have support and how they can utilize it.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    ... not the response I was expecting. Awesome.

My main point of contention was with this statement:

My attitude stems from when my mother had me at 22, completely unexpected, and due to pressure from her family decided to proceed with the pregnancy. This put her in a position, because she couldn't afford childcare, where she had to care for me and work several jobs.

Life happens, with or without planning. I think we need to be more empathetic with respect to that.

Your points re: resource utilization are not something I have visibility into it, but I think it's valid and that is another thing we need to be doing better- letting these parents/families know that they have support and how they can utilize it.
    I probably could have worded it better and I didn't mean for it to sound as harsh as it came across. I admit to being a bit jaded though, and I understand my experience obviously does not speak for every possible scenario.

I find the exact same thing happens with people who are dealing with addiction, but even to a stronger degree (I had a cousin kill herself with alcohol) - they turn down help probably 90% of the time when the only thing they have to do is say "yes" to get it for free.

Another example I always use is the charity my old employer used to support - we would get single-mother families with 5 kids, pregnant with the 6th, asking for luxury items instead of diapers, gift cards for groceries, etc. I do not feel sorry for those people, but it sucks for the kids.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Yeah, $100/mth is really low. No way to stay healthy for less than $400/mth which works out to average of $5/meal. Especially when you are by yourself so you don't have saving by volume.
    I'll just pop in to say that a lifetime ago I found myself to be very very broke. No food in the house at all. I borrowed $100 from my aunt and I made that last just over a month. 10oz bag of splenda, lemons, mr noodles, and eggs. Meals consisted of 1 egg and 1 mr noodle. I sliced lemons into a big jug and added some splenda to make lemonade as a little pick me up to forget I was basically starving.

Totally doable. And it will totally kill you, mentally and physically. I barely scratched the surface of true hunger, and yet I got to know it well enough to change my views on it. I have empathy for anyone going hungry.

These days my wife and I spend about 1k/m on food. And we eat well. Deep freeze is always full of meat. I would buy groceries before paying bills if I were to go broke again.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    ute

Don't forget - minimum wage has always been, and will always be $0.

What we call minimum wage is actually a hiring hurdle rate.

I just quickly looked at some groceries online and here is what you can get for $104 at Superstore, without optimizing anything, without looking for deals or using coupons, and without supplementing with Costco where appropriate - if you did that, the $100 would go a lot further yet:

- 60 eggs
    - 2 loafs of whole wheat bread (40 slices)
    - 2 KG of Spaghetti
    - 2 KG of skinless, boneless chicken breasts (that's like $30 right there)
    - 2 KG of oatmeal
    - 3 bunches of bananas
    - 3lbs of mini potatoes
    - 4lbs of carrots
    - 2 bunches of celery
    - 500g ground beef
    - Taco shells
    - Taco seasoning
    - 4 balls of lettuce
    - 1.5 KG of green and red lentils
    - 1 KG long grain brown rice
    - 500ml tomato sauce
    - 500ml beef broth
    - 2 boxes of whole grain pancake mix
    - 5lbs of apples

I don't know exactly what portions would look like, and maybe you would need more, but that is a shitload of decent food for $100 for one person. More than enough for a gigantic stew, lots of rice & chicken, oatmeal & bananas/apples, pancakes, meat tacos, 2 eggs every day on toast, etc. with lots of leftovers. Minor condiments and such you probably have in the fridge already (butter, sriracha, etc.) So IMO $100/mo for food doesn't mean you're eating instant noodles 3 times a day, not even close.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-04-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    I borrowed $100 from my aunt and I made that last just over a month. 10oz bag of splenda, lemons, mr noodles, and eggs. Meals consisted of 1 egg and 1 mr noodle. I sliced lemons into a big jug and added some splenda to make lemonade as a little pick me up to forget I was basically starving.
    $100 dollars would buy you, if spent on each single item:

Over 400 eggs
    Over 100 lemons
    1.7 KG of Splenda
    370 packages of Mr. Noodles

Break that down however you want within the $100, and you shouldn't have been starving as long as you didn't mind eating those things every day haha.

Were you shopping at Planet Organic or something? For $100 and those food items, you could have been eating ~6-7 eggs a day, ~6 Mr noodles packs a day, and still enjoyed the occasional tall glass of splenda lemonade haha. Or the laundry list of items I posted above. And that's at Superstore which is not always the cheapest place.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-04-2019 at 02:54 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Don't forget - minimum wage has always been, and will always be $0.

What we call minimum wage is actually a hiring hurdle rate.
    This.

Someone remind the commies of this.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I don't know exactly what portions would look like, and maybe you would need more, but that is a shitload of decent food for $100 for one person. More than enough for a gigantic stew, lots of rice & chicken, oatmeal & bananas/apples, pancakes, meat tacos, 2 eggs every day on toast, etc. with lots of leftovers. Minor condiments and such you probably have in the fridge already (butter, sriracha, etc.) So IMO $100/mo for food doesn't mean you're eating instant noodles 3 times a day, not even close.
    I don't think you can consider butter a 'minor condiment' once that 500mL of tomato sauce is gone and you're staring down at the rest of that 2kg of spaghetti, not to mention the 3 lbs of potatoes.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    I don't think you can consider butter a 'minor condiment' once that 500mL of tomato sauce is gone and you're staring down at the rest of that 2kg of spaghetti, not to mention the 3 lbs of potatoes.
    Start a poll about whether butter is a condiment or not.

#FullKert

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    #FullKert
    Name:  39pagb.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  55.2 KB
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Name:  39pagb.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  55.2 KB
    you owe me a keyboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast