Quantcast
"Living wage" $22 in San Fran and $24 in New York. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: "Living wage" $22 in San Fran and $24 in New York.

Default "Living wage" $22 in San Fran and $24 in New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimu..._wage_protests

Per hour 2017 stats to maintain "basic needs" as a US citizen geographically located, in US dollars. High? Low? That's an awful lot of nickels by my view. Still, you could always move to Hawaii and become a bum.
    Trumps' signature is fraud by design.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Last time I looked, I think the poverty line for an individual was higher than $30k/yr. I assume a living wage is a fair bit more than poverty line. So you could say a living wage in Canada is a fair bit higher than $15/hr.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Last time I looked, I think the poverty line for an individual was higher than $30k/yr. I assume a living wage is a fair bit more than poverty line. So you could say a living wage in Canada is a fair bit higher than $15/hr.
    I think poverty line for individual is $20k and family is $37k.

$15/hr at full time will yield $28k per year which in Calgary, you can definitely afford housing and food on it, just have to rely on public transit.

Now head out to TO where a single room condo require a $80k/yr job to afford. Living wage would be no less that NY or SF.

The question is, should min wage and living wage be the same?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I wonder what one individual earning 28k would be able to afford. They would still pay $4300 in income taxes, so they'd take home less than 24k.

Let's say that's 2k/monith for easy math.
    $100 transit, $900 rent, $400 food and I guess there's a little left.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

$22/hr living wage in SFO is just hilarious to me. You're living alright, on the streets haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

As of 1-2 years ago, $105,000 USD was low income in San Francisco.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I wonder what one individual earning 28k would be able to afford. They would still pay $4300 in income taxes, so they'd take home less than 24k.

Let's say that's 2k/monith for easy math.
    $100 transit, $900 rent, $400 food and I guess there's a little left.
    It'll be a joint like this:
    https://www.rentfaster.ca/ab/calgary...on-smoking/112

Add $200 worth of electricity and internet for $1K/mth. $100 transit, $400 food.

You will have $500 left for saving or to barely operate a beater if your job depends on it.

The rough part is, I think most min wage job doesn't hit full time or 40hr/week. So one may need multiple min wage jobs to make ends meet.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-04-2019 at 08:26 AM.

That's ~$45-49K/yr with 40hr weeks. It would be hard to imagine living on much less in those cities, and in San Fran good luck with that haha - maybe with some subsidized housing or you could join the gigantic homeless clan around Fisherman's Wharf.

In Calgary though even with minimum wage at $15/hr ($31K/yr not including any OT or extra shifts which I imagine are common) is very livable, it just wouldn't be very fun and you'd probably be renting a spare room or basement suite, or maybe a very small apartment.

Take home pay would be roughly ~$25,700 or ~$2142/mo.

Rent: $800ish
    Bus Pass: $106
    Food: $100
    Phone: $50

Still have over $1000/mo left over for insurance, savings, entertainment, utilities/cable, etc.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    $22/hr living wage in SFO is just hilarious to me. You're living alright, on the streets haha.
    Hey, what are you talking about. I slept in my Volkswagen Bus in downtown SF for $35/night. Just had to pay the evening parking at the parkade! Went from Mortons to the van. Gotta save where you can!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

$15/hr at full time will yield $28k per year which in Calgary, you can definitely afford housing and food on it, just have to rely on public transit.
    You call THAT living? What about my $200 cell phone bill, $3k a year tattoo habit, and $800/month going out to show off on social media how great my life is?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    It'll be a joint like this:
    https://www.rentfaster.ca/ab/calgary...on-smoking/112

Add $200 worth of electricity and internet for $1K/mth. $100 transit, $400 food.

You will have $500 left for saving or to barely operate a beater if your job depends on it.

The rough part is, I think most min wage job doesn't hit full time or 40hr/week. So one may need multiple min wage jobs to make ends meet.
    $500/month to spend on education to better your position in order to create a better life...

Maybe I'm an asshole, but if you're able bodied and fully capable but not doing anything to improve your standing in life except bitch how bad things are for you, then I will not feel sorry for you in any way.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    $500/month to spend on education to better your position in order to create a better life...

Maybe I'm an asshole, but if you're able bodied and fully capable but not doing anything to improve your standing in life except bitch how bad things are for you, then I will not feel sorry for you in any way.
    Fair enough if you're talking about some loser 20 year old, but they aren't the only ones getting minimum wage. I do feel sorry for the single parents who need that $500 to get their kids to daycare, etc., and end up with nothing at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Fair enough if you're talking about some loser 20 year old, but they aren't the only ones getting minimum wage. I do feel sorry for the single parents who need that $500 to get their kids to daycare, etc., and end up with nothing at the end of the month.
    You shouldn't be having kids in the first place IMO if you don't have a contingency plan for a divorce scenario and can't even afford to take care of them. There's also lots of assistance programs for that sort of thing, at least in Calgary so I assume elsewhere too - most of the time people don't even bother looking and prefer to carry on feeling sorry for themselves.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You shouldn't be having kids in the first place IMO if you don't have a contingency plan for a divorce scenario and can't even afford to take care of them.
    What should happen in life, and what does happen are very different things.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

You shouldn't be having kids in the first place IMO if you don't have a contingency plan for a divorce scenario and can't even afford to take care of them. There's also lots of assistance programs for that sort of thing, at least in Calgary so I assume elsewhere too - most of the time people don't even bother looking and prefer to carry on feeling sorry for themselves.
    Lol, wtf are you talking about.

If you and your spouse have a divorce contingency, then it’s bound to happen.

You have kids? I’m guessing a hard no.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Lol, wtf are you talking about.

If you and your spouse have a divorce contingency, then it’s bound to happen.

You have kids? I’m guessing a hard no.
    He also seems to think all single parents are that way because they are divorced. Because children can't be born out of wedlock apparently.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

lol must be nice to be this ignorant.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Food: $100
    Phone: $50
    Both of these make me laugh, a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    lol must be nice to be this ignorant.
    Quite the opposite actually, my GF works in a field that sees these sort of things on a daily basis and I have volunteered for organizations that deal with similar issues. It's the first hand experience with so many people who refuse to help themselves that leaves me with these opinions. By far and away the most common issue is the people don't even try to use the resources offered to them to better their lives and that of their kid(s), even when it is spoon fed to them they decline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Both of these make me laugh, a lot.
    Can you elaborate? Both are extremely reasonable for someone on a very tight budget. Hell, people on this forum who are likely way above the poverty line are paying less than that for their phone. I also just signed my Aunt up for a $40/mo plan. When I lived on my own I spent less than $100/mo on food regularly - I made big stews and stuff like that, healthy, cheap and easy. If you're barely scraping by you probably aren't eating what you want to every day. I had friends who went through Uni eating Ichiban almost every day haha - when you're that poor you can't afford to be picky.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-04-2019 at 10:55 AM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

$100 a month for food sounds about right...............if you're eating kraft dinner for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday of the month.

Marth checks out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast