Quantcast
"Living wage" $22 in San Fran and $24 in New York. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "Living wage" $22 in San Fran and $24 in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    simply the dumbest thing I've read today....thanks for that.
    But... it's true. Also if you're a single parent with kids you pay virtually nothing in taxes and the Fed/Prov give you a lot in Child Benefit.

$30K/yr with 1 kid = $8000/year.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Anyway, I did mention that Mitsu left room to adjust so I was just being picky in using $100 as a starting point and he was also just using a random number, albeit low, to start off the discussion.

I would also say that I was making a stand offish comment about kraft dinner without having actually crunched the numbers for what $100 would get you haha.

Learned something myself.

I used to live off of about $20-30/wk for food back in the day, so it's certainly possible.

No car though, so had to go to the Safeway, which is a lot more expensive than Superstore.

Also I never bought meat in bulk as that was a guarantee that a roommate would take some.
    Last edited by suntan; 09-05-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    simply the dumbest thing I've read today....thanks for that.
    You didn't read the rest did you? There was context to it based on actual experience and exposure to the situation, something that I suspect most people calling me out on it don't have.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    If I had a hard time paying for food I'd work for a place that gives you a meal with each shift that you work. Like McDonald's or Subway etc... that's just me.

Better than going hungry!
    Is that actually a thing? I've definitely seen employees of mcdonalds ordering and paying in line like the rest of us on their breaks, but getting a discount..

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You didn't read the rest did you? There was context to it based on actual experience and exposure to the situation, something that I suspect most people calling me out on it don't have.
    actual experience living minimum wage and supporting a family or at least coming from a low income family or just experienced spending 100$ for food grocery while having a privileged life?

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    actual experience living minimum wage and supporting a family or at least coming from a low income family or just experienced spending 100$ for food grocery while having a privileged life?
    Read again - you're mixing up two different conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Is that actually a thing? I've definitely seen employees of mcdonalds ordering and paying in line like the rest of us on their breaks, but getting a discount..
    I know it was back in the day when my friends worked there (20+ years ago).

(They would also give me double, triple or more patties with my order when they were working by themselves in the little Walmart one too! Back in High School )

I be surprised if they didn’t anymore wouldn't cost them much at all… better then the employees stealing food!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Well I used to live off of $500/month. Rent, food, utilities, land line phone.

My Ride
    rally pig

Read again - you're mixing up two different conversations.

No, I read that it was about divorce contingency plans and having a baby conversation but after also reading your comment about how a person can live on a 100$ food budget, my question was more general.
    Did you grow up in a well financially stable family or a low level income family?
    Last edited by taemo; 09-05-2019 at 02:06 PM.

No, I read that it was about divorce contingency plans and having a baby conversation but after also reading your comment about how a person can live on a 100$ food budget, my question was more general.
    Did you grow up in a well financially stable family or a low level income family?
    Well you still missed the important part of the conversation then - look at my correspondence with A790.

In my younger years, it was paycheck to paycheck type deal and lots of debt.

Anyway this thread is boring now haha - the goal posts have moved so far there is nothing left. We went from "can you eat for $100/mo without eating noodles" to "what if they don't have a single friend, can't spare a single minute in the day to cook, and are gluten free and allergic to everything that isn't organic" It was a fun challenge at the start, now it's just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-05-2019 at 02:14 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

We went from "can you eat for $100/mo without eating noodles" .
    I still think you're short on actual amount of food in your calculation for 30 days

My Ride
    rally pig

Well you still missed the important part of the conversation then - look at my correspondence with A790.

In my younger years, it was paycheck to paycheck type deal and lots of debt.

Anyway this thread is boring now haha - the goal posts have moved so far there is nothing left. We went from "can you eat for $100/mo without eating noodles" to "what if they don't have a single friend, can't spare a single minute in the day to cook, and are gluten free and allergic to everything that isn't organic" It was a fun challenge at the start, now it's just ridiculous.
    Don't know if I have missed it but I don't recall you mentioning that you lived paycheck to paycheck in your youth.
    Either way, fair enough, I just wanted to check that you weren't judging low income families and parents only to find out that you lived a middle/high class life your whole life.

I also had some debt in my younger years and lived paycheck to paycheck but I also know everyone's situation is never the same, too many variables out there that there's not only one way of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    I still think you're short on actual amount of food in your calculation for 30 days
    Maybe, like I said several times now though, I put that together in 2 minutes and it could be optimized a heck of a lot more. I'm sure some things need to be portioned differently. That also doesn't take into account any sales or coupons, and includes a $30 bag of chicken breast which likely isn't absolutely necessary. I don't think it's too far off though, and even if it ends up being a bit short, it is WAY better than eating Mr. Noodles 3 times a day. A lot of that stuff was also only a few dollars, so if you needed another 2KG of something like oatmeal or pasta it barely adds anything to the cost. Again, the point was simply that you can very easily avoid eating noodles every day, which even if that list isn't perfect, would give you exponentially more food value and nutrients than instant noodles.

Anyway, it was kind of a fun exercise so I appreciate the challenge - may not have been perfect but I surprised even myself with how far $100 goes.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-05-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Don't know if I have missed it but I don't recall you mentioning that you lived paycheck to paycheck in your youth.
    Either way, fair enough, I just wanted to check that you weren't judging low income families and parents only to find out that you lived a middle/high class life your whole life.

I also had some debt in my younger years and lived paycheck to paycheck but I also know everyone's situation is never the same, too many variables out there that there's not only one way of doing things.
    It was the part where I said my GF see this demographic on a daily basis, and I have volunteered at relevant organizations in years past. What frustrated me, and continues to frustrate my GF, is how a lot of these people (and I am not trying to say they are all the same or chose to be in the situation to begin with) is how so few of them accept help, and prefer to go on feeling sorry for themselves, sometimes at the expense of their kid(s). These people will then continue having multiple children when they are unable to support one child, and continually refuse to get life changing help.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

It was the part where I said my GF see this demographic on a daily basis, and I have volunteered at relevant organizations in years past. What frustrated me, and continues to frustrate my GF, is how a lot of these people (and I am not trying to say they are all the same or chose to be in the situation to begin with) is how so few of them accept help, and prefer to go on feeling sorry for themselves, sometimes at the expense of their kid(s). These people will then continue having multiple children when they are unable to support one child, and continually refuse to get life changing help.
    Not everyone is raised in a home with award winning lawns.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Not everyone is raised in a home with award winning lawns.
    I was raised in a small townhome, that we rented. Much later in life, things improved after lots of hard work. You are about 25 years late on your attempted insult

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Inherited poverty is a real thing, yo. Sometimes people know what they know, and that's it.

My wife is an RN, sees the same folk come in and drain hospital resources, don't learn anything and then come back again and again. Terrible cycle to be in.

It's maddening. I don't think you're a judgemental person by nature and I can tell from your responses that you'd want nothing more than for people to have success in life.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Mitsu, you should think about why you occasionally end up ruffling feathers/cause misunderstanding to your words in various threads based on how you say things. Common themes are present in different topics. Just my observation.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 09-05-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Inherited poverty is a real thing, yo. Sometimes people know what they know, and that's it.

My wife is an RN, sees the same folk come in and drain hospital resources, don't learn anything and then come back again and again. Terrible cycle to be in.

It's maddening. I don't think you're a judgemental person by nature and I can tell from your responses that you'd want nothing more than for people to have success in life.
    That is correct, and I appreciate that. My GF is an RN also, so you likely get all the same stories I do...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Mitsu, you should think about why you occasionally end up ruffling feathers in various threads based on how you say things. Common themes are present in different topics. Just my observation.
    You mean getting into friendly side debates with people? That is 90% of beyond threads, regardless of whether I am in involved, and something you are not innocent of either - not long ago you admitted to purposely saying things to get me going, so how does that help? A little hypocritical don't you think? I'll be the first to admit there are things I could probably word better sometimes, or don't always explain in the best ways, but again I am far from unique in that regard.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-05-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast