Quantcast
Porsche Taycan, starting at $150K USD - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Taycan, starting at $150K USD

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by milesmcewing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like it will be called 'Taycan'..........

I was going to call a couple of days ago, just tied up.

They appear to all be AWD.
    I thought I read there will be a RWD version. Let’s hope electrify Canada or whatever gets built by then. Hasn’t started yet. Will need that for my BC trips. Locations are perfect haha.

For anyone else considering: https://www.electrify-canada.ca/locate-charger
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That electrify Canada company looks cool. No idea of the profitability of the idea, but it'll really help out folks around here. Assuming your destination is with 150km of one of those stations, you can reach a large area with lots of great recreation opportunities.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That electrify Canada company looks cool. No idea of the profitability of the idea, but it'll really help out folks around here. Assuming your destination is with 150km of one of those stations, you can reach a large area with lots of great recreation opportunities.
    It’s VAG. This is their dieselgate penalty. The US version is electrify America.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Neato!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Freightliners, Van Diemen, Porsches, URAL!

Some cool stuff in the pipeline - Porsche has apparently signed a deal with three provinces to bury stretches of the inductive charging cable in the trans Canada. Charge while you drive!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Some cool stuff in the pipeline - Porsche has apparently signed a deal with three provinces to bury stretches of the inductive charging cable in the trans Canada. Charge while you drive!
    Cool idea but cringe due to frost heave.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If pricing is in line with EA's pricing, consider light footed, you are looking at 12min of charges for every 250km. (assuming 200wh/km) and the charges for 12 min will comes to around $13 USD or $17CAD.

Consider an ICE that can do 9L/100km, preimum gas, you are looking at $27 CAD of premium gas.

A saving of 40% but potentially 1 more stop of 12 mins than ICE depends on how far you have to go. Of course, this doesn't include any kind of queuing you have to do to get to the chargers because not every EV and be charged at 250kw. So some EV may occupying the spots longer. Early tests is that Taycan charges at same speed at Model S but 30% slower than Model 3 performance.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-08-2019 at 11:51 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Hey man, I'm not spending my money on one yet, but I like the concept. I'm an EV lover.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

That is super cool, indeed. Did not expect stuff like that to exist so soon.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    That is super cool, indeed. Did not expect stuff like that to exist so soon.
    I imagine a project like that would take 5-10 years to build even after its approved and funded.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

If pricing is in line with EA's pricing, consider light footed, you are looking at 12min of charges for every 250km. (assuming 200wh/km) and the charges for 12 min will comes to around $13 USD or $17CAD.

Consider an ICE that can do 9L/100km, preimum gas, you are looking at $27 CAD of premium gas.

A saving of 40% but potentially 1 more stop of 12 mins than ICE depends on how far you have to go. Of course, this doesn't include any kind of queuing you have to do to get to the chargers because not every EV and be charged at 250kw. So some EV may occupying the spots longer. Early tests is that Taycan charges at same speed at Model S but 30% slower than Model 3 performance.
    I'm an EV noob, what are the batteries on these things like, more specifically what's the battery memory like? Is it anything like my iPhone were in year 1 I only need one charge for a full days worth of usage but by year 3 it's effectively become a landline? Does that translate into XXX,XXXkm's and/or X years for an EV? If so would that not absolutely quash any fuel savings in the long term?

A part of me wants to drive a Model 3 Performance, god it pains me just to type that.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    I'm an EV noob, what are the batteries on these things like, more specifically what's the battery memory like? Is it anything like my iPhone were in year 1 I only need one charge for a full days worth of usage but by year 3 it's effectively become a landline? Does that translate into XXX,XXXkm's and/or X years for an EV? If so would that not absolutely quash any fuel savings in the long term?

A part of me wants to drive a Model 3 Performance, god it pains me just to type that.
    Traditional manufactures are only using up 80% of the battery so that for the life of the car (battery) it'd maintain a perception of no loss. Not enough long term data to say anything yet tho. Tesla's have hit 200k miles before seeing battery issues, so it's pretty much good enough. Some of the more serious usage such as transportation use, with heavy cycles, those have needed replacement but still covered under the 8 year battery warranty. I mean the only risk with an EV is that a battery breakthrough comes out and your EV all of a sudden is worthless.

If you want to end up buying a Tesla, go test drive the Model 3 Performance. Believe me, I came close when my E53 was delayed. Another month or 2 delay I would've cancelled and jumped into a Model 3 Performance. It's a boat load of fun. The E53 is nowhere near the Model 3 Perf in terms of driving fun, and the Model 3 is nowhere near the E53 in terms of relaxation and comfort. That's why the Taycan exists, for people like me that want both.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Traditional manufactures are only using up 80% of the battery so that for the life of the car (battery) it'd maintain a perception of no loss. Not enough long term data to say anything yet tho. Tesla's have hit 200k miles before seeing battery issues, so it's pretty much good enough. Some of the more serious usage such as transportation use, with heavy cycles, those have needed replacement but still covered under the 8 year battery warranty. I mean the only risk with an EV is that a battery breakthrough comes out and your EV all of a sudden is worthless.

If you want to end up buying a Tesla, go test drive the Model 3 Performance. Believe me, I came close when my E53 was delayed. Another month or 2 delay I would've cancelled and jumped into a Model 3 Performance. It's a boat load of fun. The E53 is nowhere near the Model 3 Perf in terms of driving fun, and the Model 3 is nowhere near the E53 in terms of relaxation and comfort. That's why the Taycan exists, for people like me that want both.
    Thanks.

So what happens at 200K miles, hypothetically? An ICE car at 200K miles isn't worthless, it may have depreciated by 80%+ of it's original value and will most likely require repairs to keep it running, some maybe even rather costly. Though I would think substantially cheaper than what it costs to replace a battery pack in a Tesla Also do our crazy winters have a detrimental effect on the batteries life? -30*C can't be good for batteries.

I'm scared to drive a Model 3 Performance.... what happens if I actually like it?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I'm scared to drive a Model 3 Performance.... what happens if I actually like it?
    We can’t be friends anymore lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Thanks.

So what happens at 200K miles, hypothetically? An ICE car at 200K miles isn't worthless, it may have depreciated by 80%+ of it's original value and will most likely require repairs to keep it running, some maybe even rather costly. Though I would think substantially cheaper than what it costs to replace a battery pack in a Tesla Also do our crazy winters have a detrimental effect on the batteries life? -30*C can't be good for batteries.

Battery pack replacement, might as well get a new car. I'm pretty sure today's battery tech will be obsolete at 200k miles and out of warranty haha.

Winter wise, you're using way more energy heating the car, so range will suffer. I honestly wouldn't get an EV in Calgary that gets DD's in winter unless you had at least a garage, preferably heated for efficiency. You're wasting energy heating the battery to charge.

Funny enough, as much as I criticize the quality and creature comforts of a Tesla, most of my friends DGAF about panel gaps, service issues, or anything like that. It's just fun to drive, and probably a fucking blast to AutoX. I've probably sold 15 or so cars for them by giving my realistic pros and cons, everyone gets over the cons quickly. Right @Super_Geo ?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    We can’t be friends anymore lol
    Don't worry, the noises a car makes are very important to me, so it's unlikely to sway me

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Funny enough, as much as I criticize the quality and creature comforts of a Tesla, most of my friends DGAF about panel gaps, service issues, or anything like that. It's just fun to drive, and probably a fucking blast to AutoX. I've probably sold 15 or so cars for them by giving my realistic pros and cons, everyone gets over the cons quickly. Right @Super_Geo ?
    Yeah for me it was down to a new Model 3 for ~55k all in, or a 2015 F80 M3 with about 36,000km for $50k.
    I almost didn't take delivery of the Model 3, typical panel gap issues though not nearly as bad as the early cars. Now you can only really tell if you're looking for it. I was pinging @rage2 and was really on the fence about taking delivery because the fit and finish just isn't there compared to the Germans... but at the end of the day, took delivery and haven't thought twice about it since.

By the way, drove Calgary-Vancouver in 1 day, then did Vancouver-SF in one long ass haul: 9am Vancouver departure, 5:30am SF arrival. Did the entire drive solo, was a breeze cause autopilot on the highway is just a completely different experience vs. actually driving. You feel like much more of a passenger, you see a lot more of the scenery.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Thanks.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla...radation-data/

There are outliers but losing 10% in 250k seems the norm.

Of course there was also range reduction after OTA update for Tesla to address battery fires

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/08/...range-lawsuit/

End of the day, keep your battery charge between 30-80% range and stay away from fast charging, it should have a long life. What's interesting how leasing works once we are all on EV. Will residual be horrible because of the battery abuse?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Residuals are brutal for Tesla leases. I think Tesla knows with the pace of their battery advancement that off lease cars wouldn’t be very desirable.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Taycan allocations and early deliveries are starting to be offered and shopped around in the US. There's no premium and some discounts being offered, before they even hit the lots. That is not typical of a new Porsche model (even the latest Cayenne Turbo pulled a small premium briefly) and doesn't bode well. Seems a lot of target buyers are turned off by the pricing.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

https://apple.news/Axf3edQCYTAaTZhcroUEo0g

MUCH Cheaper 4S version announced, starting at $104k USD. 110 for a bigger battery.

0-60 3.8S. AWD.

Tesla who?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast