Quantcast
House theft in SW - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: House theft in SW

My Ride
    This and that.

Default House theft in SW

So there was a theft last night at my brother's place in the SW in Wentworth Estates/Wexford area. He had a bunch of things stolen, including our dad's Escalade EXT that was parked outside with the plate BDT2904. I will post some pics shortly so please keep a look out for it.

Sort of their own mistake as his wife accidentally left one of the garage doors open. They came in and tried to steal my brother's Ducati first but couldn't get it out from in between the vehicles that were parked. So for some reason they took the key for it. They then stepped into the mud room and stole a whole bunch of kids' items and my brother's briefcase with the laptop etc. All the keys for other vehicle's were in the drawers there, however luckily they didn't open any of them as the Escalade keys were just sitting right on top. My sister in law, their two little kids and the live-in nanny were in the house at the time but had no idea. My brother noticed it after he came home around 2AM and this happened around 1:20AM based on the camera time stamps.

Everything can be seen in all the cameras but they were smart to hide their faces out of the camera views. Material things can all be replaced but the Escalade had lots of personal information about our dad's place and the garage code saved etc. The address is on the registration and it's literally a 3 minute walk from my brother's place so the cops are expecting that they may do another trip in a day or so. They told them to be vigilant for the next few days. Our dad's place is more secure as it's a gated house but that doesn't mean shit if someone wants to steal stuff as they will likely figure out a way no matter what.

But anyway keep a look out for the Escalade. Whole bunch of my brother's older license plates were also stolen - everything of course has been reported to the police.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 09-04-2019 at 01:26 PM.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Sorry to hear that, will keep my eyes peeled. what color escalade?

My Ride
    This and that.

Here are some pics of the truck which I coincidentally only took a week ago as I recently listed it for sale. So there goes that too most likely.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

My Ride
    XT6

Sorry to hear man.

We also got ransacked in Artesia. They probably hit 30+ cars - smashing windows if the car was not left unlocked.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Sorry to hear this. We will keep an eye out for sure. Any distinguishing features for the Escalade? What year and colour?

EDIT: replied just before you posted pictures lol. What year is this?
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry to hear man.

We also got ransacked in Artesia. They probably hit 30+ cars - smashing windows if the car was not left unlocked.
    Apparently my brother got told by the police officer that these days on average there are anywhere around 30 car thefts daily. And that is just insane.

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    Sorry to hear this. We will keep an eye out for sure. Any distinguishing features for the Escalade? What year and colour?

EDIT: replied just before you posted pictures lol. What year is this?
    It's a 2007 - only had 139K km's too.

In terms of distinguishing features; the driver side foot rest always stays open as it stopped automatically closing. Just above the right rear bumper there is a dent from my dad backing it into our boat trailer when putting the boat in at the lake. Right passanger door has a weird shaped dent into it from a deer running into that side in Springbank last winter.

Material possession is whatever and all replaceable, I am more concerned about the personal information that is now likely out there. I guess there's a reason why they say don't leave your registration and insurance in the vehicles - but then where the hell else do you keep them because not like the police are ok with electronic copies when you get pulled over. lol.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 09-04-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Sorry to hear. Curious what personal info you are worried about? If it's just the registration and insurance with your dad's name and address i wouldn't sweat it too much. If he had other documents in there like tax returns or banking docs then that's definitely concerning but I wouldn't lose sleep over a simple name and address... in theory anyone can go through all the garbage / recycling bins on any given street and find lots of mail with names and addresses on them so this is no different IMO.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Sorry to hear. Curious what personal info you are worried about? If it's just the registration and insurance with your dad's name and address i wouldn't sweat it too much. If he had other documents in there like tax returns or banking docs then that's definitely concerning but I wouldn't lose sleep over a simple name and address... in theory anyone can go through all the garbage / recycling bins on any given street and find lots of mail with names and addresses on them so this is no different IMO.
    Friend of mine had his car stolen this year with a full passport application in it. Was enough info for the thieves to steal his identity and take out a bunch of loans and credit cards in his name. Scary stuff there. (what's worse is the "prove this wasn't you" attitude of banks as he still tries to clean it all up).
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

First and foremost sorry to hear about this happening, having been through a home break-in myself I know how it can shake you to the core.

I keep my car keys hidden at home, if somebody breaks in they shouldn't be able to find the keys in a quick smash and dash. I keep my registration and insurance hidden in a panel in the car, if a thief steals my car they now have access to my garage door opener and with the address on the insurance/registration they would be able to get into my attached garage, close it, then get to work on the man door to the house. I've also hidden my garage door opener within my car and wired it to a discreet button to further mitigate that risk. 'Home' on my nav system takes me to a strip mall by my house. To mitigate identity theft every piece of mail has my name and address portion ripped off and shredded.

Sorry to hear dude, I know it wasn't you specifically, but break-ins are a very violating experience.

Also, nobody should feel guilty for leaving the garage open - if thieves want something, they can get it super easily, garage door shut or not. It would have probably happened anyway if they were eyeing the Escalade and Ducati.

In light of this, it's a good time for some basic common sense reminders for everyone:

- Make sure you have enough home owners insurance to cover everything
    - Document ALL your valuables with photos, serial numbers, PDFs of receipts, etc. and upload them to Google Drive or similar cloud service. In addition to this, walk around your house taking a video and narrate what stuff you have, showing what condition things are in, etc. There are tons of free apps that make this a breeze, including Google Drive, Cam Scanner, etc.
    - Heirlooms, expensive jewelry, important documents, or other irreplaceable items should be kept in a safety deposit box at a bank (depending what it is), or somewhere in the house thieves will never look during a typical break-in (laundry room, floor safe, attic, etc.)
    - Replace the shitty decorative door hardware screws with ~3" deck screws to make your front door much harder to kick in
    - Back up all your data on your computers (Photos, spreadsheets, taxes, etc.) to a cloud service
    - Don't store any passwords physically anywhere (like your bank password on a post-it note on your monitor)
    - Don't store your car keys right by the door
    - Buy some cheap cameras/entry sensors if you want

If everything is insured and documented properly, and with irreplaceable items properly hidden away or stored offsite, other than the obvious hassle of the whole ordeal, there really isn't a whole lot to worry about - you will get new stuff.

Your standard break-in goes like this:

- Mid-day while people are at work/school, kick front door in after ringing doorbell to see if anyone is home and to see if a dog barks. Most people's front doors with standard hardware can EASILY be kicked in by a 80lb teenager or emaciated crack head in 1-2 kicks.
    - Grab pillow case off bed for a sturdy bag
    - Check master bedroom for jewelry, cash, small electronics, etc.
    - Check bathrooms and medicine cabinets for drugs/medications
    - Check cabinets for hard alcohol
    - Check freezer for cash (super common hiding spot)
    - Quick sweep for anything valuable left out on the counters or whatever
    - Take car keys (almost always hanging by garage door) if they want to up the ante
    - GTFO within 2-5 minutes.

When a family member's house was broken into a year or so ago, it was shocking how precisely they followed the above list - even the freezer was left ajar.

My Ride
    This and that.

Definitely good tips there. As they say, hindsight is always 20/20. My brother is definitely more 'equipped' with security equipment than an average Joe and this still happened. He has cameras all around inside and outside of the house. What he didn't have are motion sensors in the garage which his security guy is installing now as we speak (not that it would have mattered as the alarm wasn't on). Leaving the garage door open is one thing - they typically sleep with the alarm system activated but last night since he was out till late, his wife decided not to turn it on and thought he would when he got home. Since I am building a house right now this is a good reminder for me to make sure everything is done up and sorted out properly. Although it's too late to go back and hardwire it for cameras now, I am going to try and get as many motion sensors installed as possible - including the garage. I wasn't even planning on getting an alarm service but I feel like it might be a good way to go just for the peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Definitely good tips there. As they say, hindsight is always 20/20. My brother is definitely more 'equipped' with security equipment than an average Joe and this still happened. He has cameras all around inside and outside of the house. What he didn't have are motion sensors in the garage which his security guy is installing now as we speak (not that it would have mattered as the alarm wasn't on). Leaving the garage door open is one thing - they typically sleep with the alarm system activated but last night since he was out till late, his wife decided not to turn it on and thought he would when he got home. Since I am building a house right now this is a good reminder for me to make sure everything is done up and sorted out properly. Although it's too late to go back and hardwire it for cameras now, I am going to try and get as many motion sensors installed as possible - including the garage. I wasn't even planning on getting an alarm service but I feel like it might be a good way to go just for the peace of mind.
    Security setups usually don't stop them either - better than nothing obviously, but if nobody is home, neither the homeowner, the rent-a-cop from the security company, or CPS are going to be able to get to your house within 2-5 minutes of you noticing the alarm or getting a notification on your phone. They will be long gone most of the time. It might make them rush more though, which is a positive outcome.

A big one... don't leave your garage door opener in view inside your vehicle. Red Deer has a property crime epidemic and that's one of the hot targets right now, breaking into the car to take the garage door opener and insurance/registration... put those together and you have quick access to a garage, potentially vehicles and potentially access right into the house.

The crackheads have also taken to ramming stolen trucks into the big overhead doors on detached garages and getting in and out quickly that way. We've seen about a dozen of those here in the last couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Friend of mine had his car stolen this year with a full passport application in it. Was enough info for the thieves to steal his identity and take out a bunch of loans and credit cards in his name. Scary stuff there. (what's worse is the "prove this wasn't you" attitude of banks as he still tries to clean it all up).
    yeah i can see a passport application being a goldmine for thieves since it has a lot of info like previous addresses, SIN, DOB, pretty much all the same info someone would need when applying for credit.

But registration/insurance slip that shows vehicle info, name and address i just can't see it being that valuable. If that's all it takes to apply for credit, why not just open up a phone book and pick a random name out? It shows the first and last name and address of like 50% of Calgary.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by masoncgy View Post
    A big one... don't leave your garage door opener in view inside your vehicle. Red Deer has a property crime epidemic and that's one of the hot targets right now, breaking into the car to take the garage door opener and insurance/registration... put those together and you have quick access to a garage, potentially vehicles and potentially access right into the house.

The crackheads have also taken to ramming stolen trucks into the big overhead doors on detached garages and getting in and out quickly that way. We've seen about a dozen of those here in the last couple weeks.
    Easiest way to get your window smashed is sunglasses in the console. That’s hideously common.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.