Quantcast
Snow Blowers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snow Blowers?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Snow Blowers?

Does anyone use a gas powered snow blower to clear snow instead of a shovel or snow thrower. I currently have some cheap ass snow thrower the ones you push but it takes up so much fucking space and does a shit job, also its corded which sucks in winter. I have a corded leaf blower which also does a really shit job of clearing anything. I always see commercial guys using gas powered snow blowers though.

My Ride
    *The First*

Only worth it if you have a corner lot with extra sidewalks, iMO.

My Ride
    Bicycle

You can never beat gas but just not sure if it's worth the hassle to maintain unless you have a corner lot.

80V snow thrower will have more power than your corded one but you will have to maintain the battery(s).

I have a 40V one because it's basically free since I already got all the batteries. I can clear up to 2" wet and it starts to get bogged down. Take longer than shoveling but back is happier.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only worth it if you have a corner lot with extra sidewalks, iMO.
    We do

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    You can never beat gas but just not sure if it's worth the hassle to maintain unless you have a corner lot.

80V snow thrower will have more power than your corded one but you will have to maintain the battery(s).

I have a 40V one because it's basically free since I already got all the batteries. I can clear up to 2" wet and it starts to get bogged down. Take longer than shoveling but back is happier.
    Just to be clear I’m taking about the back pack powered things not a push thrower setup

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Just to be clear I’m taking about the back pack powered things not a push thrower setup
    So you are basically trying to use leaf blower to clear snow.

Last edited by Xtrema; 09-05-2019 at 09:16 AM.

The (leaf) blowers only really work if there is a tiny bit of light snow, and if that is the case it's way faster to just grab a shovel, hold it at a slight angle, and jog up and down the driveway 4-5 times.

You also can't control where the snow goes with the leaf blowers and you sometimes make a bigger mess than it's worth - they use them around our condo complex sometimes and it packs snow into everyone's windows 5 feet off the ground.

My parents have a corner lot with a 60' driveway and it's easy to shovel in literally 2 minutes if there is 1-2 inches of light snow on it. IMHO either buy a real snow blower for the really bad days, or just grab a shovel and do a few minutes of work.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

We have a Toro electric snow blower (with an actual snow throwing chute). We dont have a corner lot.

Works amazing 80% of the time (esp. 2 winters ago when we got multiple 10cm dumps).

- does not work on wet snow
    - does not clear snow if there is not enough (need about 5cm before it starts to throw) on the ground

-

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Corner lot. Have this guy:

https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordles...ol-only-832475

Comes with 2 batteries, which is enough to clear my house + driveway. For lighter snow, I can do the neighbour's too on both sides. It's powerful enough to even lift the "snow footprints" of people that walked by.

Works awesome, can't believe I waited so long to get one. Fun too! Only downside is battery life is a bit weak, and needs 15-30 mins to warm up before it'll take a charge when its used under -15C but that's not too often.

It's on clearance right now, pretty sweet deal.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

Comes with 2 batteries, which is enough to clear my house + driveway. For lighter snow, I can do the neighbour's too on both sides. It's powerful enough to even lift the "snow footprints" of people that walked by.

Works awesome, can't believe I waited so long to get one. Fun too! Only downside is battery life is a bit weak, and needs 15-30 mins to warm up before it'll take a charge when its used under -15C but that's not too often.

The link is tool only... so another $200 for the 80V battery?
    https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordles...battery-607499

My Ride
    XT6

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Snow-Joe-Brush...SWV1ZWFE7BSR5V

Does a decent job down to the concrete, our driveway is on the larger side so big snow storms (1 foot+) end up with me shoveling some by hand.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Think I posted the wrong link. This is the guy I have.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordles...wer-kit-832476

60V not 80V. 80V one wasn't available last year and told it was possibly discontinued. It's pretty close in CFM and velocity between the 2.

I wanna say I paid $350 for mine.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I have the 500CFM Greenworks 80V equivalent of this which i picked up in the spring. 80CFM less than the one you linked but hoping it works as good on the snow as you say yours does.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

How well does this work when there is 20cm of powder on the ground? My snow blower was throwing the stuff off my driveway across the street onto the neighbours grass.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    How well does this work when there is 20cm of powder on the ground? My snow blower was throwing the stuff off my driveway across the street onto the neighbours grass.
    Slowly haha. The first clear right after a big storm, it would take 2 batteries and 3 or 4 recharge cycles to get it all done. Yea, it's not great for that much snow at once. Only had that happen once last year so it wasn't bad. Mostly 1-2 inches of snow, that clears out easily.

Gas powered ones are awesome for it if you have that much snow drifts regularly. The company I hired to do this in previous winters used a gas blower and cleared the biggest storm in 15 minutes. I just didn't want the hassle of maintaining a gas powered blower.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I have a 2 stage snowblower and a Stihl 600. I almost never use the 2 stage. Didn't use it once last year.

There is a flattened tip you can get for blowing snow. I bought it 2 days after the flood and have never had to get it serviced as it starts every time. It's fucking awesome.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Slowly haha. The first clear right after a big storm, it would take 2 batteries and 3 or 4 recharge cycles to get it all done. Yea, it's not great for that much snow at once. Only had that happen once last year so it wasn't bad. Mostly 1-2 inches of snow, that clears out easily.

Gas powered ones are awesome for it if you have that much snow drifts regularly. The company I hired to do this in previous winters used a gas blower and cleared the biggest storm in 15 minutes. I just didn't want the hassle of maintaining a gas powered blower.
    What kind of maintenance would their be, I would think it would be similar to owning a gas powered lawn mower or weed whacker.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

What kind of maintenance would their be, I would think it would be similar to owning a gas powered lawn mower or weed whacker.
    The most maintenance I would think would be clearing out the carb if it was gunked up. Otherwise only maintenance I can think of is maybe a spark plug and making sure you have 2 stroke oil around

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Drain fuel, oil changes, filters. Fuck that.

Zero maintenance on the battery one. Winter's here? Strap it on and go. Summer's here? Do nothing haha.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I have a 2 stage snowblower and a Stihl 600. I almost never use the 2 stage. Didn't use it once last year.

There is a flattened tip you can get for blowing snow. I bought it 2 days after the flood and have never had to get it serviced as it starts every time. It's fucking awesome.
    What is this flattened tip you speak of? Couldn't find anything on google

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    What is this flattened tip you speak of? Couldn't find anything on google
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ego...4aAmrPEALw_wcB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast