Quantcast
Snow Blowers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Snow Blowers?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2013 Toyota Highlander Sport
    Posts
    745
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Snow Blowers?

    Does anyone use a gas powered snow blower to clear snow instead of a shovel or snow thrower. I currently have some cheap ass snow thrower the ones you push but it takes up so much fucking space and does a shit job, also its corded which sucks in winter. I have a corded leaf blower which also does a really shit job of clearing anything. I always see commercial guys using gas powered snow blowers though.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Only worth it if you have a corner lot with extra sidewalks, iMO.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    8,125
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    You can never beat gas but just not sure if it's worth the hassle to maintain unless you have a corner lot.

    80V snow thrower will have more power than your corded one but you will have to maintain the battery(s).

    I have a 40V one because it's basically free since I already got all the batteries. I can clear up to 2" wet and it starts to get bogged down. Take longer than shoveling but back is happier.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2013 Toyota Highlander Sport
    Posts
    745
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only worth it if you have a corner lot with extra sidewalks, iMO.
    We do

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can never beat gas but just not sure if it's worth the hassle to maintain unless you have a corner lot.

    80V snow thrower will have more power than your corded one but you will have to maintain the battery(s).

    I have a 40V one because it's basically free since I already got all the batteries. I can clear up to 2" wet and it starts to get bogged down. Take longer than shoveling but back is happier.
    Just to be clear I’m taking about the back pack powered things not a push thrower setup

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    8,125
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just to be clear I’m taking about the back pack powered things not a push thrower setup
    So you are basically trying to use leaf blower to clear snow.

    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-05-2019 at 09:16 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,685
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    The (leaf) blowers only really work if there is a tiny bit of light snow, and if that is the case it's way faster to just grab a shovel, hold it at a slight angle, and jog up and down the driveway 4-5 times.

    You also can't control where the snow goes with the leaf blowers and you sometimes make a bigger mess than it's worth - they use them around our condo complex sometimes and it packs snow into everyone's windows 5 feet off the ground.

    My parents have a corner lot with a 60' driveway and it's easy to shovel in literally 2 minutes if there is 1-2 inches of light snow on it. IMHO either buy a real snow blower for the really bad days, or just grab a shovel and do a few minutes of work.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3
    Posts
    3,958
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    We have a Toro electric snow blower (with an actual snow throwing chute). We dont have a corner lot.

    Works amazing 80% of the time (esp. 2 winters ago when we got multiple 10cm dumps).

    - does not work on wet snow
    - does not clear snow if there is not enough (need about 5cm before it starts to throw) on the ground

    -

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,953
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Corner lot. Have this guy:

    https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordles...ol-only-832475

    Comes with 2 batteries, which is enough to clear my house + driveway. For lighter snow, I can do the neighbour's too on both sides. It's powerful enough to even lift the "snow footprints" of people that walked by.

    Works awesome, can't believe I waited so long to get one. Fun too! Only downside is battery life is a bit weak, and needs 15-30 mins to warm up before it'll take a charge when its used under -15C but that's not too often.

    It's on clearance right now, pretty sweet deal.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    1,773
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Corner lot. Have this guy:

    https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordles...ol-only-832475

    Comes with 2 batteries, which is enough to clear my house + driveway. For lighter snow, I can do the neighbour's too on both sides. It's powerful enough to even lift the "snow footprints" of people that walked by.

    Works awesome, can't believe I waited so long to get one. Fun too! Only downside is battery life is a bit weak, and needs 15-30 mins to warm up before it'll take a charge when its used under -15C but that's not too often.

    It's on clearance right now, pretty sweet deal.
    The link is tool only... so another $200 for the 80V battery?
    https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordles...battery-607499

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    CAL
    My Ride
    '19 Ridgeline
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I use this one:

    https://www.amazon.ca/Snow-Joe-Brush...SWV1ZWFE7BSR5V

    Does a decent job down to the concrete, our driveway is on the larger side so big snow storms (1 foot+) end up with me shoveling some by hand.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,953
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Think I posted the wrong link. This is the guy I have.

    https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordles...wer-kit-832476

    60V not 80V. 80V one wasn't available last year and told it was possibly discontinued. It's pretty close in CFM and velocity between the 2.

    I wanna say I paid $350 for mine.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,682
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Corner lot. Have this guy:

    https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordles...ol-only-832475

    Comes with 2 batteries, which is enough to clear my house + driveway. For lighter snow, I can do the neighbour's too on both sides. It's powerful enough to even lift the "snow footprints" of people that walked by.

    Works awesome, can't believe I waited so long to get one. Fun too! Only downside is battery life is a bit weak, and needs 15-30 mins to warm up before it'll take a charge when its used under -15C but that's not too often.

    It's on clearance right now, pretty sweet deal.
    I have the 500CFM Greenworks 80V equivalent of this which i picked up in the spring. 80CFM less than the one you linked but hoping it works as good on the snow as you say yours does.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3
    Posts
    3,958
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Corner lot. Have this guy:

    https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordles...ol-only-832475

    Comes with 2 batteries, which is enough to clear my house + driveway. For lighter snow, I can do the neighbour's too on both sides. It's powerful enough to even lift the "snow footprints" of people that walked by.

    Works awesome, can't believe I waited so long to get one. Fun too! Only downside is battery life is a bit weak, and needs 15-30 mins to warm up before it'll take a charge when its used under -15C but that's not too often.

    It's on clearance right now, pretty sweet deal.
    How well does this work when there is 20cm of powder on the ground? My snow blower was throwing the stuff off my driveway across the street onto the neighbours grass.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,953
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How well does this work when there is 20cm of powder on the ground? My snow blower was throwing the stuff off my driveway across the street onto the neighbours grass.
    Slowly haha. The first clear right after a big storm, it would take 2 batteries and 3 or 4 recharge cycles to get it all done. Yea, it's not great for that much snow at once. Only had that happen once last year so it wasn't bad. Mostly 1-2 inches of snow, that clears out easily.

    Gas powered ones are awesome for it if you have that much snow drifts regularly. The company I hired to do this in previous winters used a gas blower and cleared the biggest storm in 15 minutes. I just didn't want the hassle of maintaining a gas powered blower.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    One from Affalterbach and Louisville
    Posts
    8,998
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    I have a 2 stage snowblower and a Stihl 600. I almost never use the 2 stage. Didn't use it once last year.

    There is a flattened tip you can get for blowing snow. I bought it 2 days after the flood and have never had to get it serviced as it starts every time. It's fucking awesome.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2013 Toyota Highlander Sport
    Posts
    745
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slowly haha. The first clear right after a big storm, it would take 2 batteries and 3 or 4 recharge cycles to get it all done. Yea, it's not great for that much snow at once. Only had that happen once last year so it wasn't bad. Mostly 1-2 inches of snow, that clears out easily.

    Gas powered ones are awesome for it if you have that much snow drifts regularly. The company I hired to do this in previous winters used a gas blower and cleared the biggest storm in 15 minutes. I just didn't want the hassle of maintaining a gas powered blower.
    What kind of maintenance would their be, I would think it would be similar to owning a gas powered lawn mower or weed whacker.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What kind of maintenance would their be, I would think it would be similar to owning a gas powered lawn mower or weed whacker.
    The most maintenance I would think would be clearing out the carb if it was gunked up. Otherwise only maintenance I can think of is maybe a spark plug and making sure you have 2 stroke oil around

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,953
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What kind of maintenance would their be, I would think it would be similar to owning a gas powered lawn mower or weed whacker.
    Drain fuel, oil changes, filters. Fuck that.

    Zero maintenance on the battery one. Winter's here? Strap it on and go. Summer's here? Do nothing haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a 2 stage snowblower and a Stihl 600. I almost never use the 2 stage. Didn't use it once last year.

    There is a flattened tip you can get for blowing snow. I bought it 2 days after the flood and have never had to get it serviced as it starts every time. It's fucking awesome.
    What is this flattened tip you speak of? Couldn't find anything on google

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    YVR
    Posts
    4,957
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is this flattened tip you speak of? Couldn't find anything on google
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ego...4aAmrPEALw_wcB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Snow blowers

    By 89coupe in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 21
    Latest Threads: 04-13-2012, 12:10 AM
  2. Snow Blowers - Noise

    By Masked Bandit in forum General
    Replies: 18
    Latest Threads: 11-18-2010, 11:36 AM
  3. snow, snow and more snow.

    By worm in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 12-05-2006, 06:10 PM
  4. One very nasty 1970 GTO - TWO BLOWERS!

    By Cobra94RC in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 10-27-2006, 06:16 AM
  5. Snow Snow Snow **MERGED**

    By dodad in forum General
    Replies: 91
    Latest Threads: 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •