Quantcast
Huawei P20 Lite or Moto G7 Play? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Huawei P20 Lite or Moto G7 Play?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Huawei P20 Lite or Moto G7 Play?

Hi everyone,

So I am with Zoomer and have been with them forever and plan on for a long time still. I am on month to month I came to find again, and want to do another 2 years contract, which will give me two free phones since I am on the couples plan. Now I am perfectly happy with my OnePlus 5 and it does all I need, my wife has an older OnePlus X and thinking of getting either the 2018 Huawei p20 lite or the Moto G7 Play for her since they are free. She doesn't use her phone for almost anything except for taking some pictures, chatting on Line, and e-mail, an a game of Sudoku once in a while, an an occasional Google Maps if she is driving somewhere unknown in town.

With that being said, I am well aware of the Huawei issues and Google. I know there is a PIE upgrade for this phone from Huaweii and it does have the Play Store and all that, but will the Play Store updates to Google apps stop working at some point? I was under the assumption that this would be for phones that haven't been already released but it's kind of hard to get a straight answer. Since my wife's use of the phone is very limited we don't much care about many things, but I don't want apps like Google maps to stop working etc.

My main issue is that the P20 seems like a better phone, in terms of camera quality (looked at a couple of reviews comparing the two side by side on YouTube), but I also don't want her to be stuck with a brick.

So with all that said, which free phone should I get her? I would get 2 x free phones, could get one of each really, with the intention of offloading the other on Kijiji, so any input is appreciated. I don't really want to get one of each and find out that I should have gotten 2x of the same, so seeking advice.

Alternatively I can also get a Pixel 3a for $350 as one of the phones...but it looks so lame in this day and age...any reason to consider it seriously?

Thanks!

EDIT: Should also state that we do take our phones to Japan when we go there every second year and use local DATA only SIMS, so network flexibility is important, and P20 seems to support more bands.

My Ride
    LNF

I would post your plan details.. You can probably get a better deal with Koodo right now. lots of great deals right now.

I just helped my mother in law get a Samsung A70 (better phone then the ones posted) for 0$ for 2 years with 4 gb of data thru koodo for 60$ per month (medium tab) and a 250$ gift card to walmart.

The Pixel 3a is a better phone than either of those two, if you can get over the fact that you don't like the way it looks. It will also get all the latest security and OS updates immediately and runs clean android, which is a pretty big deal IMHO.

Between the P20 lite and G7 Play, the P20L has slightly better hardware in some areas but the G7 Play is probably going to be updated more regularly on the software side. The G7 has a much better processor, at least according to Geekbench (I'm actually questioning the P20L's single core results as they are worse by a factor of ~6). Reviews on the G7 are very positive relative to the price (you can by it outright for about $250). The G7 is a 2019 phone the P20 lite is a 2018 phone - I am not sure what OS the P20 Lite is running currently but it launched on Android 8.0 (10.0 is live right now on all the Pixels). There's a tiny chance Huawei's political issues cause problems with support, but unlikely.

Given her basic usage, it sounds like any of these phones would be OK but if you want the best phone out of those few, the 3a is the one to go with especially if you have to stick with it for 2 years. And you get almost all of Google's fancy camera tricks as it seems like you might want a good camera - the camera on the 3a is hugely better than the other 2 options, particularly outside of ideal conditions.

Reviews on the 3a are overhwlemingly positive:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-...view-6452.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/7/18...atures-io-2019

From the iVerge review "In 15 years of reviewing phones, I am not sure if I’ve ever been able to write the following sentence: a $400 phone has a camera that’s among the best you can get on any smartphone."

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-06-2019 at 04:42 PM.

My Ride

I got a couples plan with 4gb of shared data will get bumped up to 6gb for free if I sign for 2 years if I sign up before the 11th of this month. I have a dual sim phone with a corporate sim, so I don't even use data from my own plan, and wife hardly uses anything at all, so even at 4gb, when I didn't have corporate sim, it was more than enough for us.

This is what I have

Features Included
    Conference Calling
    Call Display
    Call Waiting
    Name Display
    Enhanced Voicemail

Usage Included
    4 GB Shared Data
    1000 Daytime Minutes (7AM-6PM)
    UNLIMITED Evenings and Weekends: 6PM-7AM
    UNLIMITED International Text Messages
    UNLIMITED Family Text Messages
    UNLIMITED Family Calling
    UNLIMITED Incoming Text Messages
    UNLIMITED Text & MMS (Canada/INTL)
    UNLIMITED ZtoZ Calling Canada-Wide
    LTE Tethering Access

I pay $76.52 every month ever since I joined them more than 4 years ago, and that's part of their promise, as long as I stay with them the price stays the same, and it has. I hate switching providers and then having prices change all the damn time, so not looking to do that, just want opinion on phones. I might just get the Pixel for myself and give wife my OnePlus 5, and maybe another free one to flip on Kijiji, many options, not really sure, so looking for input.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pixel 3a is a better phone than either of those two, if you can get over the fact that you don't like the way it looks. It will also get all the latest security and OS updates immediately and runs clean android, which is a pretty big deal IMHO.

Between the P20 lite and G7 Play, the P20L has slightly better hardware in some areas but the G7 Play is probably going to be updated more regularly on the software side. The G7 has a much better processor, at least according to Geekbench (I'm actually questioning the P20L's single core results as they are worse by a factor of ~6). Reviews on the G7 are very positive relative to the price (you can by it outright for about $250). The G7 is a 2019 phone the P20 lite is a 2018 phone - I am not sure what OS the P20 Lite is running currently but it launched on Android 8.0 (10.0 is live right now on all the Pixels). There's a tiny chance Huawei's political issues cause problems with support, but unlikely.

Given her basic usage, it sounds like any of these phones would be OK but if you want the best phone out of those few, the 3a is the one to go with especially if you have to stick with it for 2 years. And you get almost all of Google's fancy camera tricks as it seems like you might want a good camera - the camera on the 3a is hugely better than the other 2 options, particularly outside of ideal conditions.

Reviews on the 3a are overhwlemingly positive:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-...view-6452.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/7/18...atures-io-2019

From the iVerge review "In 15 years of reviewing phones, I am not sure if I’ve ever been able to write the following sentence: a $400 phone has a camera that’s among the best you can get on any smartphone."

Just my $0.02.
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I am kind of leaving towards the Pixel 3, it actually doesn't look all that bad, just no notch like most new phones so was kind of bummed. Still undecided.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I am kind of leaving towards the Pixel 3, it actually doesn't look all that bad, just no notch like most new phones so was kind of bummed. Still undecided.
    No problem.

Obviously subjective, but as an owner of the 3XL, I personally don't like the notch and google is going notch-less across the entire Pixel 4 lineup coming out in a month (presumably due to polarizing feedback). Unless you love the look of it or something, I wouldn't worry too much about it not having a notch

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    No problem.

Obviously subjective, but as an owner of the 3XL, I personally don't like the notch and google is going notch-less across the entire Pixel 4 lineup coming out in a month (presumably due to polarizing feedback). Unless you love the look of it or something, I wouldn't worry too much about it not having a notch
    Question for you, how fast is the fingerprint reader on your phone? My Oneplus5 is instant. My main concerns right now is that I got very used to my OnePlus 5, and I understand that it's proc is faster then Pixel 3a, so don't want to downgrade myself on speed just for a better camera, since the camera in my op5 is very good for my needs as is. Decisions decisions.

My Ride
    an econo box

Question for you, how fast is the fingerprint reader on your phone? My Oneplus5 is instant. My main concerns right now is that I got very used to my OnePlus 5, and I understand that it's proc is faster then Pixel 3a, so don't want to downgrade myself on speed just for a better camera, since the camera in my op5 is very good for my needs as is. Decisions decisions.
    I have a Pixel 3 and the fingerprint reader is super fast. Pretty much instantaneous and you don't have to be super accurate with your finger press on the reader.

I second Mitsu's recommendation of the Pixel 3a. I recommended to a buddy of mine who just wanted a reliable Android phone with no bloat and he loves his.

It seems you guys keep your phones for quite awhile. That's another "pro" to add in the Pixel's favour. The 3a is getting guaranteed updates until May 2022. No way the Huawei or Moto will be anywhere close to that.
    Last edited by KrisYYC; 09-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.

My Ride

Surely they have these Pixel at like Best Buy right? Think I will go and play with one and decide.

Thanks everyone

My Ride
    Bicycle

Only on screen finger printer readers are slow. All physical ones are quick.

OP6's onscreen reader is much slower than OP5. OP7 improve it a bit but still slower.

Samsung S10 is about the same as OP6.

If the new P30 is any indication, Huawei will continue to release phones under the same name to avoid the ban. So P30 will forever be called P30 even every piece of HW under it changes. I would assume P20 may follow the same fate. But if you want to be 100% sure, stick with other brands.

If you want a modern look, Samsung A70 and A50 are good budget phones as well and seems to have more subsidization deals. My experience with Samsung is they do follow Android monthly updates and you usually get it a month after release if you are concerned about security.

Pixel 4 seems to not chasing the borderless design and continue to have chin and forehead. IMO after having S10 as daily driver for 4 months, I don't think that's a bad idea. I just hate all the accidental touches on the edges.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-08-2019 at 12:19 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Only on screen finger printer readers are slow. All physical ones are quick.

OP6's onscreen reader is much slower than OP5. OP7 improve it a bit but still slower.

Samsung S10 is about the same as OP6.

If the new P30 is any indication, Huawei will continue to release phones under the same name to avoid the ban. So P30 will forever be called P30 even every piece of HW under it changes. I would assume P20 may follow the same fate. But if you want to be 100% sure, stick with other brands.

If you want a modern look, Samsung A70 and A50 are good budget phones as well and seems to have more subsidization deals. My experience with Samsung is they do follow Android monthly updates and you usually get it a month after release if you are concerned about security.

Pixel 4 seems to not chasing the borderless design and continue to have chin and forehead. IMO after having S10 as daily driver for 4 months, I don't think that's a bad idea. I just hate all the accidental touches on the edges.
    Wait if they do a p20xr pro gt they can still use android on it?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Wait if they do a p20xr pro gt they can still use android on it?
    Nope. I don't know what trigger the ban as existing or new device. P30 just got a new coat of paint and skirt the ban. Mate 30 and whenever they get the foldable phone out, is considered new and fully under ban and will not get Play Store access. So may be it's just more than name of device.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/6/20...id-10-ifa-2019

BTW, they can do Android all day long (ASOP) but it's all about Google suite of apps and Play Store access they are banned from. Chinese inside mainland is used to not having GApps but everyone else in the world probably won't like that.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Literally instant, and I agree with the above poster that you don't need to be careful with your finger placement (for example 'just the tip', and on the side of the reader, it works) it will pick up even a portion of it. By the time the single haptic feedback is done, my screen is on. As a bonus, it actually unlocks the phone to home screen at the same time (I'm not sure about the OP5 but Apple and some others still make you use an additional gesture to access the home screen after unlocking depending on the device).