Quantcast
good made-to-measure suits in Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: good made-to-measure suits in Calgary

My Ride
    ute

Default good made-to-measure suits in Calgary

I rarely wear suits any more - which means a lot of mine are out of date, or don't fit my fatter ass/gut.

I'm in New York right now, and I'm thinking about having a new made-to-measure suit done here. But I thought I'd see if anyone has had any success in Calgary. Traditionally mys tuis have been off the rack from Singer, but I've never really loved it. Wide shoulders always make the pants fit weird.

I use Huey Lam and have been very happy with my stuff from there:

https://www.hueylamsuits.ca/

He has a body scanner that takes 750 measurements, then verifies important ones by hand. Last time I was in there, he had lots of materials to choose from. If anything isn't perfect when the suit is done, he is also a tailor himself so he can fix it on site.

I haven't bought off the rack dress clothes in 10+ years and have been much happier as a result.

I mean, I am sure you can spend whatever you want in New York where the sky is the limit, but if you just want a good quality custom suit that fits perfectly you can get that in Calgary at a reasonable price. I think his suits start around $600-700. You can spend 5X that at other places in Calgary but the quality is no different from what I have seen.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

O'Connors still has good tailors that will make a nice suit.

Harry Rosen built me a nice one the other day too.

I think both were under $2500.

My brother went to Indochino and was happy with what he got, I have no idea what the quality is like though.
    Years ago I had a sport coat made by Giovanni the Tailor Shop on 37th and 17th. Took a few weeks and a couple of fittings but I was really happy with it. I've since had it altered by Henry's Tailoring just off Macleod. Again, really happy with the results. I think he also does MTM and Bespoke work.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

For a Baller like Buster, this is the only answer. Both have phenomenal customer service and if they can’t find a good brand that fits you well, then go custom.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    O'Connors still has good tailors that will make a nice suit.

Harry Rosen built me a nice one the other day too.

I think both were under $2500.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You got to plug your nose pretty hard to put up with the load of BS you get from Harry Rosen... I can’t say I have ever had a good experience when I begrudgingly go into that store.

I would go with O’Conners just because they aren’t asshats, I bought my last suit from them and while it wasn’t mtm I was very happy with the experience and it was well tailored.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

For "cheaper" options, Ed Williams has been great to me.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You got to plug your nose pretty hard to put up with the load of BS you get from Harry Rosen... I can’t say I have ever had a good experience when I begrudgingly go into that store.

I would go with O’Conners just because they aren’t asshats, I bought my last suit from them and while it wasn’t mtm I was very happy with the experience and it was well tailored.
    Just remember that whenever you go into these stores, the staff work for you. Just start barking orders at them and they'll get moving. I see the Chinese do it all the time and seems to work great.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

I had an awful experience there when the guy sold my Hugo Boss shoes to someone else while I was trying on and comparing them.
    The creepy weirdo said "bless you" to me no fewer than 3x per minute for about half an hour while he was allegedly assisting me until I realized the shoes I came in there to buy were gone. Haven't been back.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Is a $500 custom suit a possible thing in Calgary?

Don’t need name brands, just something for a black tie event that will fit snug.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post

Don’t need name brands, just something for a black tie event that will fit snug.
    Pretty sure Indochino was advertising this not long ago

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Just remember that whenever you go into these stores, the staff work for you. Just start barking orders at them and they'll get moving. I see the Chinese do it all the time and seems to work great.
    It’s not in my nature to be an asshole to people in a retail store. I find the whole situation very uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I had an awful experience there when the guy sold my Hugo Boss shoes to someone else while I was trying on and comparing them.
    The creepy weirdo said "bless you" to me no fewer than 3x per minute for about half an hour while he was allegedly assisting me until I realized the shoes I came in there to buy were gone. Haven't been back.
    It’s not like they sell anything you couldn’t buy somewhere else. My experience was fighting with the guy to get a modern suit that didn’t make me look like Donald trump ( guy was well past his expiry date ), didn’t bother telling me when my MTM suit was in, and they fucked it up and wanted me to pay more money to fix it.

They couldn’t even get bringing me in a shirt in my size right. These jokers still call me a few times a year to come in for their sales, cannot read between the lines on my responses at all.

I just don’t think that store offers any reason to actually go in there unless you are some kind of stuck up douchebag who needs to have the Harry Rosen label on their suit bag for everyone to see.

Overall, just go to O’Conners

As for a “black tie” suit under 500 bones for one event, rent?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V167

Went to O'connors. They didn't attend to me. Walked out. Never returned.

Went to Harry Rosen. Have one guy I deal with. Have had nothing short of exceptional service. Have 3 or 4 suits that I am very pleased with. Would recommend.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I lucked out at Harry Rosen as I found a great guy who was extremely helpful, younger, not judgmental and made me feel very comfortable about my first suit purchase. I will admit some of the other guys in there would fit the mold with some of the complaints in this thread. With that being said, this guy (Gary Diehl) earned my business and I've been a repeat customer for almost 7 years.
    I like neat cars.

I have bought lots of clothes from O'Connors, Supreme and HR over the years when I didn't know any better and before I went the full custom route - in my opinion you aren't getting anything extra there except a nicer store to shop in and a lot more smoke blown up your ass compared to many of the online options or in my experience, Huey Lam. The same materials and build quality can be had for a fraction of the price from places that don't have a giant retail store to run from everything I've seen. There's a point where all you're paying for is a brand name that nobody can see, and that point is pretty low IMHO.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post

Mine was 600$ I believe. Full body scan, made from scratch to fit, you pick the fabric / colours / if you want pockets/ how many buttons / etc.

@OP I forget the exact business name but go to the Wild Rose Cleaners on 14st and 15th ave SW, it’s inside there. It’s tiny hole in the wall place but top notch quality. They have a full 360 degree body scanner and everything. They do all the measurements and then send it off to a professional suit maker. All the fabrics on the wall so you can pick whatever Color and pattern you want. It takes about 4 weeks I believe but when it showed up it fit flawlessly and was cheaper that most department stores. Pricing was cheap too, I (vaguely, 3 years ago) believe it was like 600$ for suit and pants though they have some fabrics that are a bit more expensive

Edit: Someone else mentioned the name here, HueyLamsuits.ca
    Last edited by pheoxs; 09-11-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Mine was 600$ I believe. Full body scan, made from scratch to fit, you pick the fabric / colours / if you want pockets/ how many buttons / etc.

@OP I forget the exact business name but go to the Wild Rose Cleaners on 14st and 15th ave SW, it’s inside there. It’s tiny hole in the wall place but top notch quality. They have a full 360 degree body scanner and everything. They do all the measurements and then send it off to a professional suit maker. All the fabrics on the wall so you can pick whatever Color and pattern you want. It takes about 4 weeks I believe but when it showed up it fit flawlessly and was cheaper that most department stores. Pricing was cheap too, I (vaguely, 3 years ago) believe it was like 600$ for suit and pants though they have some fabrics that are a bit more expensive

Edit: Someone else mentioned the name here, HueyLamsuits.ca
    Yup that is Huey Lam. The store itself is nothing special at all but if you care about service, price, and quality it's at least as good as all the super overpriced stuff you buy from the larger high-end stores. I think some people just need to spend $3-5K on a suit to feel like they got something really good, but there is honestly no difference aside from the brand name stitched inside. If it fits perfectly and is made well, nobody you meet is going to know whether it was $600 or $6000.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    . The same materials and build quality can be had for a fraction of the price from places that don't have a giant retail store to run from everything I've seen. .
    So, are these Huey Lam suits a canvas construction (like the well made suits being sold at O'Connors, Henry Singer's etc) or are they fused with glue? I had a look on the Huey Lam website and they don't mention anything about canvas construction, which is something I suspect they would , considering they are tossing around the "bespoke" aspect.

My Ride
    WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4

can anyone comment how much were the custom shirts at Huey Lam ?

was there a non-iron option?
    --For SALE or Trade--

iPhones
    Maui Jim Sunglasses

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    So, are these Huey Lam suits a canvas construction (like the well made suits being sold at O'Connors, Henry Singer's etc) or are they fused with glue? I had a look on the Huey Lam website and they don't mention anything about canvas construction, which is something I suspect they would , considering they are tossing around the "bespoke" aspect.
    I haven't bought new dress clothes in quite a while, by far your best bet would be to give him a quick call and get a full rundown to make sure he offers exactly what you're looking for.

Even Indochino and Suit Supply use canvas construction now though.

From what I have seen, pretty much every company uses the word "bespoke" for anything that is MTM, regardless of quality - all it means is "made for you", it doesn't refer to a certain construction type.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deee_wreck View Post
    can anyone comment how much were the custom shirts at Huey Lam ?

was there a non-iron option?
    I am pretty sure they are either $60 or $65, they were quite a bit cheaper than pants which I think were $160 or $170. Not sure about non-iron option. Prices may have changed a bit since I was last in there but I suspect that is close.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-11-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast