Quantcast
good made-to-measure suits in Calgary - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: good made-to-measure suits in Calgary

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, are these Huey Lam suits a canvas construction (like the well made suits being sold at O'Connors, Henry Singer's etc) or are they fused with glue? I had a look on the Huey Lam website and they don't mention anything about canvas construction, which is something I suspect they would , considering they are tossing around the "bespoke" aspect.
    I have a few friends who have Huey Lam suits and they are decent but there is a noticeable difference in fit, quality and structure between one of his suits and a ZZegna or Canali, for example. To some people this won’t matter and it’s not a big deal or it’s good enough value. To a guy who wears a suit everyday, this could make a difference in your purchase decision. Additionally the fabric options Huey has don’t hold a candle to the options you get from Harry or O’Connor’s. Again, to some this isn’t a big deal and i’ve recommended Huey to a number of people but considering the OP, i’d recommend the bigger two options.

On the other hand, I cheap out on shirts and typically use Maxwell’s or Huey, I personally don’t see the value in the expensive brands which also don’t fit me well due to my body type.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I have a few friends who have Huey Lam suits and they are decent but there is a noticeable difference in fit, quality and structure between one of his suits and a ZZegna or Canali, for example. To some people this won’t matter and it’s not a big deal or it’s good enough value. To a guy who wears a suit everyday, this could make a difference in your purchase decision. Additionally the fabric options Huey has don’t hold a candle to the options you get from Harry or O’Connor’s. Again, to some this isn’t a big deal and i’ve recommended Huey to a number of people but considering the OP, i’d recommend the bigger two options.

On the other hand, I cheap out on shirts and typically use Maxwell’s or Huey, I personally don’t see the value in the expensive brands which also don’t fit me well due to my body type.
    Great thread everyone.

I wonder if Huey lam sees a greater degree in variability because of the nature of mtm.

I presume you can also spec higher end fabrics with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Great thread everyone.

I wonder if Huey lam sees a greater degree in variability because of the nature of mtm.

You can - I don't know where the 'ceiling' is for him but his suits are not all the same price.

I have a ~$2500 Versace suit that was gifted to me and I personally can't tell a difference between it and Huey Lam in terms of quality, but I acknowledge that there are people here probably more knowledgeable on the intricacies of suit construction than myself.

Compared to my older Indochino stuff (2012-14ish), Huey Lam is noticeably higher quality in my opinion, in terms of structure, perceived durability, stitching, buttons, zippers, etc. I know Indochino has improved over the years as well so the gap might not be as big anymore.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Everything I have ever bought from indochino has fallen apart eventually, most things within a few months.

Fabric tearing, seams falling out, useless hemming. Quality is shit across the board. This is in the past 18 months so clearly quality is not that much better.

Not bad if you only need a suit to last a weekend I guess lol, it all looked ok initially.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Everything I have ever bought from indochino has fallen apart eventually, most things within a few months.

Fabric tearing, seams falling out, useless hemming. Quality is shit across the board. This is in the past 18 months so clearly quality is not that much better.

Not bad if you only need a suit to last a weekend I guess lol, it all looked ok initially.
    Almost my entire work wardrobe used to be Indochino, and the stuff I had lasted a pretty long time. Much of it did eventually wear out but only after heavy use for many years. I got my money's worth out of them probably 10x over, but my elbows did eventually wear through on a few of my shirts (probably more an issue with my measurements), and the pants got that "shiny" look to them where the zipper/metal was after many years and literally hundreds of wears. I replaced a few buttons but it was always my fault (catching on something). The suits I have from them though have all held up great and still look brand new, but I wore them less often and nowadays mostly just for occasions. I've never had anything fail inside 18 months though, not even close, more like 70-80 months of ~weekly wear for the stuff I had. Some of the pants I definitely wore more than once per week over those years. I figure if it can hold up for 5-7 years of frequent use, that's pretty good for the price. My Hugo Boss stuff and the couple shirts I got from O'Connors didn't last any longer, so I figured I had a pretty good run with the Indochino stuff. Apparently their quality has improved steadily over the years, particularly with their suits - but I don't have any of their newer suits to comment.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Great thread everyone.

My recommendation to fabrics and styles would be to go into Harry Rosen, Singer, O'Connor's etc. to get an idea of what looks good and in style then go to Huey Lam to compare. Regarding suit material, he has a limited selection that he carries from his suppliers and these would not be high end fabrics that would be available to the bigger names and he's priced accordingly. This may or may not matter to you but when I go to Huey's and compare the designs and options to my ZZegna suits there is a big difference. There are several other specifics that I've noticed related to Huey's suits or other custom options that I could mention but to most, these details don't matter.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    '04 E46 330ci ZHP

Indochino is junk, don't waste your time.

How long are you in New York Buster? If you have time try to make your way down to Proper Cloth in Soho. They will get you measured up, and then you can keep your measurements in your online profile for shirts/suits etc, and order online from them. Quality is nice, and they have TONS of fabrics to choose from. Their online shopping experience is great and you can read customer reviews on the fabrics before you order.

I also like having a couple different profiles for dress shirts....one that is meant for tuck in, and one that is for more casual shirts that you can wear untucked.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by 91_Integz View Post

How long are you in New York Buster? If you have time try to make your way down to Proper Cloth in Soho. They will get you measured up, and then you can keep your measurements in your online profile for shirts/suits etc, and order online from them. Quality is nice, and they have TONS of fabrics to choose from. Their online shopping experience is great and you can read customer reviews on the fabrics before you order.

I also like having a couple different profiles for dress shirts....one that is meant for tuck in, and one that is for more casual shirts that you can wear untucked.
    I'm leaving this afternoon. Darn. This looks perfect.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by 91_Integz View Post
    this, i dont have a suit from them but from all the ones i have seen they are junk.

You guys saying Indochino is junk, how much stuff have you actually owned from them and for how long? What year did you buy it in? (their quality has changed over the years) How often did you wear each item? Most of the people saying it's junk don't seem to have actually owned any of it, or are choosing not to provide any details whatsoever if they have. I think I am the only one here who has actually owned dozens of their items (Shirts, pants, suits) over 5+ years of daily use, and they held up well over that time. As mentioned some articles did eventually wear out but after literally hundreds of wears, which I would expect of most clothing types. Huey Lam is better, but I wouldn't say Indochino is junk, especially for the price.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You guys saying Indochino is junk, how much stuff have you actually owned from them and for how long? What year did you buy it in? (their quality has changed over the years) How often did you wear each item? Most of the people saying it's junk don't seem to have actually owned any of it, or are choosing not to provide any details whatsoever if they have. I think I am the only one here who has actually owned dozens of their items (Shirts, pants, suits) over 5+ years of daily use, and they held up well over that time. As mentioned some articles did eventually wear out but after literally hundreds of wears, which I would expect of most clothing types. Huey Lam is better, but I wouldn't say Indochino is junk, especially for the price.
    easy there, the honda civic is still the greatest car of all timeeeeee.

Sometimes you dont have to own something to know it's shit. You don't own anything else other than the Honda civic but you dont have a problem bashing every other car out there?!

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    easy there, the honda civic is still the greatest car of all timeeeeee.

Sometimes you dont have to own something to know it's shit. You don't own anything else other than the Honda civic but you dont have a problem bashing every other car out there?!
    What are you even talking about? Ever since that thread you embarrassed yourself in, you have been extremely hostile. Comes off as very childish to be honest. Just forget about it and move on, it's just the internet.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I've owned several Indochino shirts and for the price you pay, it's better to buy BR shirts and get them altered by a seamstress. Their fabrics are horrendous.

EDIT: Bought them 2009 and tossed them out months after. Stopped by their Chinook store and it's alright. Like a fancy Tip Top.

Anyone have pics of Huey Lam suits being worn? Curious how the shoulders are structured.

@Buster SuitSupply is pretty nice (NYC locations)

https://www.thepeaklapel.com/home/20...tsupply-part-2
    Last edited by flipstah; 09-12-2019 at 12:02 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I have one Indochino suit that I've basically worn once a week for about a year. It's at the top of my list of favourite suits for the time being and still in pretty good shape.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

If you are in NY ..

Just shop for some nice suit, wide range of selection .. should be some fit you nicely!
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

I’ve had 1 custom suit and 2 custom shirts done by Huey Lam, I’d say quality is good but material is below average.

I also have 3 custom suit and many custom shirts done by Suits by Curtis Eliot. Very modern slim fit and quality is just exceptional. It’s been about 2 years since I got them but it’s less than $200 more for the suit than Huey and it blows everything away that I’ve ever come across. The bamboo custom shirts are a DREAM, it’s $250 for 2 shirts but quality and workmanship is just unbelievable.

Suit by Curtis Eliot had a small office location DT and based out of Edmonton, also it takes a bit of time for them to make it and shipped over(I’m guessing out of country). 100% worth the wait. If there’s any adjustments they can get it done locally quickly. You guys should at least get their bamboo shirts, it’s crazy comfortable and top notch quality! If you do go for the suit, keep in mind they tend to go very tight and slim fitting so make sure to tell them to give more room if you prefer, I never needed to adjust the jackets but I did for the pants. All personal preference.
    Last edited by Sky; 09-12-2019 at 11:15 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Is Huey Lam in that Wild Rose Alterations shop?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    Is Huey Lam in that Wild Rose Alterations shop?
    Yeah

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If anyone is looking for a cheap option Indochino's blackfriday deal is a custom suit for 389$

https://www.indochino.com/COLLECTION/BLACK-FRIDAY

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I decided to try both Indochino and Huey Lam Suits and the fit is far superior with Huey Lam Suits.

Wearing them one after the other puts the Indochino's suit fit to shame.

Huey Lam Suits are more fitted, proportionate, sleek, and fits my shoulders, waist, hips, and collar perfectly. He got it right the first time, and no further adjustments were necessary.

Indochino had issues from the get-go especially the shoulder and collar fitment, even after a second adjustment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast