Quantcast
Regal Auctions - has anyone bought from there - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Regal Auctions - has anyone bought from there

Default Regal Auctions - has anyone bought from there

They have a specific fleet vehicle I am looking for on an upcoming auction, curious if anyone has bid/bought there before. They told me if I win I have 3 days to pick it up, and pay in full. Ill be doing it online while I'm camping tomorrow. I have bought from the local Gateway auction before, but nothing the size of Regal.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Most of the stuff there is tired junk and there’s basically no arbitration process for major issues.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've bought from a couple auctions, and sold through regal. Just make sure you are saving enough over a private purchase that you can afford some repairs on hidden issues. Be zen about that and you'll be fine. There's a reason those cars aren't already somewhere nicer or at a dealership. Most have problems.

Have you seen this car in person? I wouldn't buy from them online without visually inspecting the car first. I'm not that trusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I've bought from a couple auctions, and sold through regal. Just make sure you are saving enough over a private purchase that you can afford some repairs on hidden issues. Be zen about that and you'll be fine. There's a reason those cars aren't already somewhere nicer or at a dealership. Most have problems.

Have you seen this car in person? I wouldn't buy from them online without visually inspecting the car first. I'm not that trusting.
    I haven't seen it in person. I have had no luck at any lots, seem to only pop up on auctions, usually equipment auctions, but they have one at Regal. If I wasn't out of town I would drive up and see it. I guess ill see what it gets up to, I know what they retail for so if its 30-40% less I may bite the bullet. thanks for the info!

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i bought a retired CoC fleet vehicle for my wife, it was an 08 grand caravan, low mileage, average of 12k/year, base model but it was a good price... it had some things i needed to repair but it was just minor cosmetic interior things like replacing the radio trim where they'd installed a CB radio or something... so far we have had it for 8 months and its been solid, no issues.

Just tossed a plate on it and drove it home.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    V167

My black Jetta was from Regal.
    Bank repo.
    Had all records in the glove box.
    All highway kms. Crazy nice condition with only light wear in the driver seat.

Picked it up for a steal of a deal. Saved at least $4k compared to what they were going for at the time. Not a single issue with the car.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For sure there are some gems, but not that many, and a large number of curbers and second-class dealers go to that auction, so you always have to pay more than them if it's a desirable vehicle.

I don't know, I feel like I have better luck buying privately, but then again, I don't buy anything that's hard to find.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Well things most certainly got bid up way beyond retail. One thing I liked is the return policy, but unfortunately doesn't apply to fleet vehicles with no reserve. Ended up bidding on a couple dealer turn ins, but ultimately backed off after they went near or above retail. Seems like lots of curbers, and independent lots buying most of the inventory. Looks like they have one every week, guess ill just keep checking back.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    Well things most certainly got bid up way beyond retail. One thing I liked is the return policy, but unfortunately doesn't apply to fleet vehicles with no reserve. Ended up bidding on a couple dealer turn ins, but ultimately backed off after they went near or above retail. Seems like lots of curbers, and independent lots buying most of the inventory. Looks like they have one every week, guess ill just keep checking back.
    Two auctions a week, not one. And all the crappy cars get run through four or five times before some sucker buys them.

Honestly, I feel like I know more than average about buying used vehicles, and I stopped going to the auctions because I wasn't happy with the value there. You either have something with serious issues, or the price goes above what I think is a good deal. Some people enjoy them, and sure sometimes there are good deals to be had, but I think personally I have a better opportunity to buy things for below market value in private sales where I'm not competing against 100 other buyers.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

It always amazes me what people will pay for garbage, even at the dealer auctions.

I agree some is garbage, in this case I need a specific HD split van. Wouldn't say everything is Garbage at auctions. A lot of the dealer stuff is dead inventory, when I worked for GM we would send anything over 80 days to auction, sometimes things just don't sell. I have had good luck locally, picked up a 2008 F150 Lariat crew for a farm truck, paid $1100 for it, still going strong and only 120k kms on it. Also bought an 04 Duramax that we still used to haul hay with, paid $4500, sold it for $9700 a year later. I've purchased lots of heavy equipment from auctions, just never used Regal, as the normal ones are Michener, HRA etc. Unfortunately this split van is becoming a pain in my ass.

My Ride
    Depends on my mood...

Ive done the auctions (Regal included) and the majority of the inventory there is risky garbage. There are deals to be had but they are few and far between, and you have to have a keen eye and a good knowledge of cars to buy from auction. Any solid vehicle considered a bargain gets bid up beyond its value by inexperienced buyers. If you do find something, typically the reason you score a good deal is because those inexperienced buyers or the sharks failed to show up that day to outsnipe you. Unless you have an exceptional knowledge of a particular vehicle and hunt for that vehicle only, you typically won’t get hosed.

There are also plenty of side dealings that occur with close friends and family members of the auction owners. Many sweet deals never make it to the auction block for you to bid on as a result.

The exception on the whole will be government vehicles (municipal, provincial or federal). Policy and liability demands their consistent and documented maintenance while in service. They won’t be exciting or sporty - but on the whole they are more consistent/reliable, sometimes include repair history and tend to be more fairly priced.

dirtiest auction in the 403 vicinity. you cant even trust the food there let alone the cars

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by Dalking View Post
    dirtiest auction in the 403 vicinity. you cant even trust the food there let alone the cars
    Not sure about that, Michener Allen is even dirtier. Bought a car from there that had the odometer rolled back, I went back and they told me I was SOL. Only when I threatened to take them to small claims did they take it back

My Ride
    LNF

My company sends our retired fleet trucks through mitchener allen. It is insane what people will pay for GM trucks..

We just sent a 2015 2500HD with the 6.0l gas engine with 240k (tons of engine hours from idling), just a SLE model and we got 24k for it..

We also had a 2013 2500hd with 220k and the body had rust all through the wheel wells and big paint spots missing.. 19k

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    My company sends our retired fleet trucks through mitchener allen. It is insane what people will pay for GM trucks..

We just sent a 2015 2500HD with the 6.0l gas engine with 240k (tons of engine hours from idling), just a SLE model and we got 24k for it..

We also had a 2013 2500hd with 220k and the body had rust all through the wheel wells and big paint spots missing.. 19k
    Those people will be putting lipstick on them and bringing them south to sell.

Still insane though.