Quantcast
Performance Benefits of RAID-0? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Performance Benefits of RAID-0?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Question Performance Benefits of RAID-0?

What do you think of the performance gains of using RAID0?

When I bought my computer (long time ago), I setup two hard drives in RAID0 because it was an extremely cheap way of getting my hard drives (WDC 120gigs) to run at a decent speed. Now in the last year and a half, I've run into a couple scenarios where the RAID array has just been a big hassle. Because of this, for my next computer, I probably won't bother with RAID anymore, since there's stuff like cereal ATA out now. What are other affordable alternatives?

The question is, should I unRAID my current hard drives? Will I notice a huge decrease in performance? I really only use my computer for homework, media, and occasional gaming. Or should I keep using the RAID array (probably for another year) and hope nothing happens?

My Ride
    it has wheels???

un Jeff it's spelled serial!!!! not cereal go ask the english major...
    "Could you please turn down your car"- Ben

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Well, I am not normally a fan of RAID 0 configs, because of the chance of drive failure screwing you nice and good

This is what I understand each setup to do:

RAID 1 duplicates the files of one HDD onto another equally sized drive. This gives tou the best data safety and offers you an exact backup of anything should a HDD fail Stupid HDD's

However, RAID 1 only allows you yo use half of your HDD's space and requires you to have an even number of drives, with a minimum of 2 of course

RAID 5 from what I can tell is the best all around system, though is definatly more technical, and expensie to get going.

RAID 5 basically takes all the drives in the set, making them one large volume which you can then partition however you like. You would however need an online "hot" spare in case of drive failure. The parity data size amounts to one of the hard drives. If one of your HDD's shits the bed, the the RAID controller will uses all the data from the "hot Spare" to rebuild that drive. You'll need at least 4 hard drives to run a RAID5, and allows you to use all of the space total in all the HDD's, minus the one for the hot spre and whatnot

RAID 5 ownz for servers and databases, RAID 0 is best for videos and other bandwidth intensive applications. Pick which is the best for you, RAID 0 offers no fault tollerance...so HDD maint and reliability is crutial.
    Travel

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

Kills Bugs Dead!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Performance Benefits of RAID-0?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    What do you think of the performance gains of using RAID0?
    RAID0 doubles your read and write performance (since it reads and writes on 2 channels at once). It's pretty good and cheap, no wasted space. Too bad there's no fault tolerance at all.

I use RAID0+1 on 4 drives, which gives me 2x write speed, 4x read speed, with RAID1 mirror redundancy. Drives are cheap these days...
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Ben
    You'll need at least 4 hard drives to run a RAID5
    You can run RAID5 with a 3 drive setup. 2 drives for data, 1 for parity (drive1 XOR drive2 == parity3). Theoretically, you can run RAID5 in a 2 drive setup, which is the same as RAID 1 mirror (drive1 == parity2), but I don't think any controllers support that .
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by rage2

You can run RAID5 with a 3 drive setup. 2 drives for data, 1 for parity (drive1 XOR drive2 == parity3). Theoretically, you can run RAID5 in a 2 drive setup, which is the same as RAID 1 mirror (drive1 == parity2), but I don't think any controllers support that .

Hmmm, I guess youre right, I guess I just figured you needed the 2 backup parity drives, one of which was the hot spare
    Travel

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

I'm running raid 5 ide on my pc now - pain in the ass overall. I had raid 0 before, as long as you have a 3rd disk to manually backup your stuff every now and then you should be ok. If you are lazy, and move to 1 disk you still have the same problem (backing up to cd/dvd/another disk).

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

Wrex Guest

I told you a dozen times... "Get rid of the Raid 0" and you know how many times its caused you a hassle. This is either the 3rd or 4th time.

Leave my computer alone. It's still works.

Originally posted by Ben
    RAID 0 is best for videos and other bandwidth intensive applications.
    With the advancement in drive speeds over the past few years RAID 0 doesnt really help transfer rates anymore.

RAID 0 was also used because the 2-bay 9GB Micropolis drives were the largest capacity SCSI drives you could get for a long time, and many videos exceeded 9GB when in production.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by sputnik
    With the advancement in drive speeds over the past few years RAID 0 doesnt really help transfer rates anymore.
    Sure it does. RAID 0 (2 drives) will always at least double the transfer rate (depending on # of drives), assuming each drive is on it's own dedicated channel. So if the drive speeds have increased, so will the doubled speed.

RAID0 is still used in video production. Raw footage is dumped on RAID0 arrays for editing. It's all about having multiple streams of video nowadays... being able to edit/preview in real time, which can easily exceed today's transfer rates.

My Ride
    Bowling shoes

Don't forget the block size in Raid0. If the block size is not specified properly all you really get is writing to one disk or excessive access across all disks.

Raid imo is only useful for people like Rage that moves large (video) files around. For most home users, Raid is just a bragging right because the files u move are so small (comparitively) that the performance increases are nominal at best (of course depending on the block size).

so it all depends on what your using ur computer for.

I can't believe the misinformation in this thread. Go do some research if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Every single post gets something wrong.

Raid 0 = Striping
    -Don't use this unless you don't mind losing all your data.
    -good performance
    -given 2 x 40gb drives = 80GB of space

Raid 1 = Mirroring
    -basically duplicating one drive to another
    -redundancy, can tolerate one drive failure
    -good performance
    -expensive
    -given 2 x 40gb drives = 40GB of space

Raid 5 = Distributed Parity
    -minimum of 3 drives
    -parity is distributed over all three drives
    -excellent read performance
    -write performance suffers due to the parity calculation being required
    -can tolerate a single drive failure which will degrade performance
    -given 3 x 40gb drives = 80GB space

And then there's the tunables that can affect the performance. Block size, stripe size, etc which all need to be taken into consideration based on what type of application the raid set is to be used for.

Given that most of you are just using IDE, the defaults will probably suffice.

My Ride

Originally posted by sliderr
    I can't believe the misinformation in this thread. Go do some research if you have no idea what you're talking about.

OMG U R TEH HXOR. Just got your CDI cert did you? Parroting the basic specs which has been mentioned numerous times here and in other threads doesn't mean you know more than anyone else. And so what if the drives are IDE - using SCSI doesn't make your shit smell like flowers. Pompous jackass.

Khyron

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I couldn't find much misinformation in this thread. Unless your the one that's misinformed?
    Raid 0 = Striping
    -Don't use this unless you don't mind losing all your data.
    -good performance
    -given 2 x 40gb drives = 80GB of space

Raid 1 = Mirroring
    -basically duplicating one drive to another
    -redundancy, can tolerate one drive failure
    -good performance
    -expensive
    -given 2 x 40gb drives = 40GB of space

Raid 5 = Distributed Parity
    -minimum of 3 drives
    -parity is distributed over all three drives
    -excellent read performance
    -write performance suffers due to the parity calculation being required
    -can tolerate a single drive failure which will degrade performance
    -given 3 x 40gb drives = 80GB space

And then there's the tunables that can affect the performance. Block size, stripe size, etc which all need to be taken into consideration based on what type of application the raid set is to be used for.

Other than "good performance", you didn't answer the original question. Good effort though, so this is for you:

ignorance is bliss

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

ignorance is bliss
    lol, serious, I'd like to know.

My Ride

Yes, elighten us.

Khyron