Quantcast
Another Wifi Thread - For non-technical relative - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another Wifi Thread - For non-technical relative

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

OK, I think I'm decided, and after getting my relative to do some investigation there DOES appear to be network cable run to one distant area away from the utility room.
    I think I want the Netgear Orbi AC3000 versions. (not the Orbi Pro as I think that'll be less simple for his to deal with if he needs to mess with it. )

I like the Orbi for it's dedicated backhaul band and better speeds at longer distances according to the testing I've seen. Supposed to be a simple set up too.

Need to watch prices and figure out if I want the RBK50 package (contains RBR50 router and RBS50 sattelite). Current price ~$399
    Or the RBK53 package which is RBR50 and 2xRBS50. That kit is hard to find, and may possibly be USA costco only.

If All I can find is the RBK50 kit, I think I'll buy two of them, and then when doing the install I'll leave one boxed up and see how things look with just one satellite. If I decide I need to opent eh second kit, I'll have some reconfiguring to do on the second router to turn it into a satellite, but I think that's not going to be too tough.

So in the end, it'll be ~$800 for the wifi, but I'm confident that it will provide good coverage. Not making the purchase for a bit, so I welcome comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Costco are selling a two pack of the Orbi wifi (unsure what version) at the moment

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Costco are selling a two pack of the Orbi wifi (unsure what version) at the moment
    Would be great if someone could get me the details of that. It's not on the website. The AC2200 versions are much cheaper everywhere but I think for this install I'll stick to Ac3000 system, even though it's more expensive.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone figure out if Costco is selling the RBK53 AC3000 3 piece kit? or the older RBK23 kit? It's not showing on costco website, but that often doesn't mean anything.

I was thinking the Orbi Kit would be more hassle-free and require less tech support from me than an Asus aiMesh solution, however, if I end up spending $800 on it, then I think it makes sense to explore options.

I'm a big fan of Asus, and I'm sure I could get the Asus RT-AC86U for $199 on black friday again, so two of those and one RT-AC5300 or GT-AC5300 as a "base station" for hopefully around $299, so that's like $700 total, and I know it would have massive range. I have a buddy with this exact setup and it's awesome. He's pretty geeky, but I'm still not sure if this is a good "set and forget" kind of thing. The RT-AC86U routers used as satellites are a pretty visually aggressive design too, so that's maybe not as stylish as the Orbi.

Range is definitely my #1 concern with this system, which is why I'm both leaning towards a 3-piece setup AND looking for components that rate highly for range.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 10-28-2019 at 07:48 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Netgear Orbi RBK53 is down to $540, which is a decent price.
    Asus GT-AC5300 is down to $299, and RT-AC86U are down to $179, so for the three pieces I'd be $657

Am I right in assuming the Orbi system will be lower maintenance than the Asus AImesh? Any thoughts on range comparison? I think a 3-peice setup is what will be needed for this property. @Kavy whatcha think?
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 11-26-2019 at 03:16 PM.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Asus GT-AC5300 is down to $299, and RT-AC86U are down to $179, so for the three pieces I'd be $657

Am I right in assuming the Orbi system will be lower maintenance than the Asus AImesh? Any thoughts on range comparison? I think a 3-peice setup is what will be needed for this property. @Kavy whatcha think?
    I like AiMesh the only downside is airtime fairness hates smart devices and turning that off every single firmware update (hey asus, its ok to have that setting not return to on every boot) can sometimes be a bother. I would guess the Orbi system will be less maintenance especially because it will handle the combined SSID better than Asus does currently (or at least in September when I last sealed with it). If the option was for someone else i would go with whatever would have me do the least amount of ongoing work and that will be the Orbi. Asus I would always be trying tomato or merlin software trying for the best throughput and consuming all my time haha.

FYI; I have an extra set of the AC6600 Velop Tri-Band Mesh 3 pack available, I have had it since early fall when i decided i wanted to put one in every room. After a month I noticed it was insane overkill as most devices were not even using the new nodes because the others had a strong enough signal. I could let it go for $250 (half of what its on sale for on black friday). Don't know if that would be something that would help you in this case. I don't have it in the marketplace because im lazy.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Asus AI mesh has been replaced (at least in principle) by their newly announced Zen WiFI - see my above post. On paper it looks better than the Orbi system IMO.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    I like AiMesh the only downside is airtime fairness hates smart devices and turning that off every single firmware update (hey asus, its ok to have that setting not return to on every boot) can sometimes be a bother. I would guess the Orbi system will be less maintenance especially because it will handle the combined SSID better than Asus does currently (or at least in September when I last sealed with it). If the option was for someone else i would go with whatever would have me do the least amount of ongoing work and that will be the Orbi. Asus I would always be trying tomato or merlin software trying for the best throughput and consuming all my time haha.

FYI; I have an extra set of the AC6600 Velop Tri-Band Mesh 3 pack available, I have had it since early fall when i decided i wanted to put one in every room. After a month I noticed it was insane overkill as most devices were not even using the new nodes because the others had a strong enough signal. I could let it go for $250 (half of what its on sale for on black friday). Don't know if that would be something that would help you in this case. I don't have it in the marketplace because im lazy.
    Thanks. If it was for my own house, I'd run Asus AImesh and be totally happy with the small amount of tweaking. I think I'm sold on the Orbi over the Velop, seems slightly better range/backhaul if I'm reading the million reviews right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Asus AI mesh has been replaced (at least in principle) by their newly announced Zen WiFI - see my above post. On paper it looks better than the Orbi system IMO.
    Sounds cool, when it becomes available. Unless I'm missing something, it hasn't been released yet.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Thanks. If it was for my own house, I'd run Asus AImesh and be totally happy with the small amount of tweaking. I think I'm sold on the Orbi over the Velop, seems slightly better range/backhaul if I'm reading the million reviews right.
    It depends upon the reviewer as both these systems go neck and neck. Having owned both Backhaul is better on the Velop but i would agree that range is better on the Orbi, especially up/down range (I don't have that issue because I have one Velop Node on each floor). You/They will not be disappointed in the Orbi i think its a great system when running wireless backhaul, its when the backhaul is wired that the Velop moves ahead every so slightly. Get the RBK53 or RBK50, don't get the RBK23.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah for sure. The three-piece rbk53 for $540 works for me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

OK team, gotta get this locked down. All the hardware is acquired. I usually just kind of muddle things out, but that process is pretty slow (some might say it's extra slow . . . )

So, to get the Shaw Cisco DPC3825 and Negear Orbi RBK53 kits (router and two satellites) set up properly, here's the steps I think I need.
    1) bridge Cisco modem
    1a) need to look up how to actually do this, can it be done remotely?
    2) connect Orbi Router to port 1 on Cisco modem, connect any hardwired shit in that room to Orbi router
    3) Update firmware on Orbi
    4) place satellites in probable locations, and go into Orbi settings to make sure they are getting sufficient signal strength. Adjust locations as needed.
    5) adjust any weird wifi settings like airtime fairness etc to make it work better.
    6) profit?

What am I missing, what's out of order?

I've never used Orbi stuff so I can't help you that much...

1) bridge Cisco modem
    1a) need to look up how to actually do this, can it be done remotely?
    Call Shaw for this you can't do it yourself.

3) Update firmware on Orbi
    I'd download the firmware from their website and update it first but that's just me...
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Good call, maybe get the firmware updated first. Can't hurt anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2