Quantcast
Decent deals on handsets? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Decent deals on handsets?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Decent deals on handsets?

Wife's s8 is shitting the bed. She is long since out of contract and on a BYOD plan with pubic mobile that we really like. Thinking about the Google Pixel 3, currently discounted to $599 or the 3XL for $729. Anything else I should be looking at for LESS than that amount? Not buying the Pixel 4 when it comes out, will be too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

If you're willing to consider China brands there's so many options out there. Currently have my dad running on the Redmi Note 7. No issues so far.

I guess it also depends if there's specific features you're looking for.
    -The S8 had wireless charging. If that was something that was used, this feature will immensely narrow your search.
    -Does it need to be brand new or are you considering looking in the used market
    -Does it need to be a flagship. Would you consider the Samsung A line

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    If you're willing to consider China brands there's so many options out there. Currently have my dad running on the Redmi Note 7. No issues so far.

I guess it also depends if there's specific features you're looking for.
    -The S8 had wireless charging. If that was something that was used, this feature will immensely narrow your search.
    -Does it need to be brand new or are you considering looking in the used market
    -Does it need to be a flagship. Would you consider the Samsung A line
    Haven't been that happy with Samsung, so want to try something else. Doesn't need to be fully flagship, but we keep the handsets for a fair while, so not bargain basement. I've used BLU before and I actually liked it. Wife needs a little more pizzazz. Only very lightly used from reputable beyond members will be considered. Kijiji phones are a gamble I'm not happy with. The google phones seem to rate well, have a reputation for "clean" android. That's attractive.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Since you're thinking about a Pixel 3, the Pixel 4 is getting announced on October 15 and the market is about to be flooded with used Pixel 3's, including mine haha. If you can hold off a few weeks you will probably be able to get one for cheaper than if you look now.

I always sell my mint Pixels on the cheaper side just to get it done, but I need the new one in-hand first so it'll be probably late October / early November before mine hits the market unless Google has availability sooner than usual this year.

Kijiji is a nightmare for phones, I don't know how many ads I have seen saying things like "flawless condition except for screen crack and scratch on the back glass" LOL.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The google phones seem to rate well, have a reputation for "clean" android. That's attractive.
    If you want pure Android without paying Pixel prices, I'd see if any of the Android One phones catch your eye:
    https://www.android.com/one/

I'm using the Xiaomi A2 Lite myself and can't say enough good things about it. The A3 is out now so the A2 and A2 Lite phones are super cheap on Aliexpress. Only downside to these particular phones are the cameras, but you gotta give up something if you want a cheaper phone.

I'd also look at the Nokia offerings.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Pixel 3a?

$549, good camera and doubt Pixel 4 will depreciate it's price since it's one class lower and only been out for 2-3 months.

You don't have to freak out about potential random ROMs from questionable sellers.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Pixel 3a?

$549, good camera and doubt Pixel 4 will depreciate it's price since it's one class lower and only been out for 2-3 months.
    is the 3a at $549 still a deal when the "real" 3 is only $50 more?

I also considered the Pixel, but the battery life looked just so so, wanted a flagship like phone with decent specs and camera so I ended up trying a Xiaomi Mi9t.

Just ordered a Xiaomi Mi9T this week, should be here next week. Pretty good specs and looks like the current premium phones. Can probably get it for under $500 or possibly under $400 from China.

Quote Originally Posted by FishPoo View Post
    I also considered the Pixel, but the battery life looked just so so, wanted a flagship like phone with decent specs and camera so I ended up trying a Xiaomi Mi9t.

Just ordered a Xiaomi Mi9T this week, should be here next week. Pretty good specs and looks like the current premium phones. Can probably get it for under $500 or possibly under $400 from China.
    I can't speak for the regular Pixel 3, but I have a Pixel 3 XL and the battery life is insane. I literally don't charge my phone other than a ~20 min slow charge twice a day (commute) and I don't even charge it on weekends until I'm in the car again on Monday. I have never even used the wall charger it came with I don't think. Another thing you can do is change the theme to dark, which with OLED screens means it saves significant battery (white, the usual background, uses the most power on OLED displays). Anyway, I use it for both work and personal and the battery life is one of my favorite features.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I can't speak for the regular Pixel 3, but I have a Pixel 3 XL and the battery life is insane. I literally don't charge my phone other than a ~20 min slow charge twice a day (commute) and I don't even charge it on weekends until I'm in the car again on Monday. I have never even used the wall charger it came with I don't think. Another thing you can do is change the theme to dark, which with OLED screens means it saves significant battery (white, the usual background, uses the most power on OLED displays). Anyway, I use it for both work and personal and the battery life is one of my favorite features.
    Yea, I'm not sure about real-life experience. If my Mi9t doesn't do so well I'd probably opt for a Pixel3, it was definitely one of my top choices (good camera software, decent specs, and clean android OS).

Here's a pretty comprehensive battery life chart: https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by FishPoo View Post
    Yea, I'm not sure about real-life experience. If my Mi9t doesn't do so well I'd probably opt for a Pixel3, it was definitely one of my top choices (good camera software, decent specs, and clean android OS).

Here's a pretty comprehensive battery life chart: https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
    That's a neat bunch of tests. Pixel 3aXL is the battery beast of the Pixel lineup. Slower processor but largest amp-hours is a simple and effective formula.

My Ride
    something green

Anyone know of a good price to buy unlocked Blackberry Key2? Its about a 1000.00 if I buy it through my contract over 2 years.
    And before anyone goes knocking the BB phone, the Key1 I have has been the toughest phone I've ever owned, just the battery is starting to degrade on it after 2 years of hard use.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    something green

Got the 64 gb Key2 at Costco for 720 with my plan renewal.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Heard google is giving discounts on pixel 3a and 3aXL in the USA now. Can't wait until those hit Canada.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Since you said LESS... me and my wife were both on S8s, a couple of months ago I bought both of us Samsung A50s and we've been really happy with them. We're not heavy users, well she's in Facebook all day and I'm on kijiji.

Anyways, we got them on sale for $399 each at Staples. Bigger better screen than the S8, better battery and I'd say similar speed. No waterproof protection though. You can also opt for the lower model A20 or higher model A70.

JP Mobile is a good site, they sell other international version phones that have good specs and are cheap.