Quantcast
London - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: London

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default London

Hey guys, trying to get out of dodge here for a trip and ended up booking to London.

Wondering what peoples tips and tricks are these days? I haven't been in a long time, and we are staying in Convent Garden for a week.

Any one have any opinions of London Pass? Seems like a good deal to me since we plan on being typical tourists for a good chunk of the trip. Looks like you can get it and an Oyster card for buses/tube all together for a pretty reasonable price.

In particular does anyone have any must hit restaurants / pubs that should be on my radar or that I should be making reservations for?

Thanks guys!
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Ye old cheshire cheese.....yup....oldest pub in london, get to drink some fantastic hand pumped casked ale 2 floors below ground in what feels like a cave. Tower of London was fantastic, lots to walk around there in that area around buckingham. I was only there for about 12 hrs so thats all I got
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Covent Garden is a good home base, lots to see around there. For touristy stuff check out Westminster Abby, Tower of London, British Museum, walk around Piccadilly Circus/Leicester square area, Westminster bridge/Big Ben, catch a theatre show (Book of Mormon is hilarious if you haven’t seen it).

If you like Indian/Pakistani food, would highly recommend Tayyab’s. Dishoom is pretty good too but usually lineups out the door. There’s one in covent garden or really close if I remember correctly.

Also you don’t need an Oyster card if your CC has tap. It’s a pretty good system there.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you want to splurge and there’s an opening...

https://the-araki.co.uk/

Nobu isn’t consistent worldwide, but London has always been my favorite one by a good margin. There’s 2 there, I’ve only been to the Berkeley St one.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Covent Garden is a good home base, lots to see around there. For touristy stuff check out Westminster Abby, Tower of London, British Museum, walk around Piccadilly Circus/Leicester square area, Westminster bridge/Big Ben, catch a theatre show (Book of Mormon is hilarious if you haven’t seen it).

If you like Indian/Pakistani food, would highly recommend Tayyab’s. Dishoom is pretty good too but usually lineups out the door. There’s one in covent garden or really close if I remember correctly.

Also you don’t need an Oyster card if your CC has tap. It’s a pretty good system there.
    A Paddington base isn't bad either. Cheap hotels and easy access to the tube. Oyster card is better due to forex fees though

Love London and I'd agree with all this minus the restaurant recommendations because haven't been there.

Indian food is great there!

My Ride
    Silverado

If you like Indian food it all started with the British and you can find good examples everywhere. It's better than British food. My wife had to go for afternoon tea, I could have found several better ways to spend 200 pounds

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If you want to splurge and there’s an opening...

https://the-araki.co.uk/

Nobu isn’t consistent worldwide, but London has always been my favorite one by a good margin. There’s 2 there, I’ve only been to the Berkeley St one.
    Would love to. But my wife won’t eat seafood unless it’s deep fried haha, it’s a major drag on trips.

Thanks for all the tips guys, should be a good time and let me disconnect a bit I think.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

Got back from London yesterday, first time there and only 2.5 days.

Best food we had:
    Ice Cream - Udderlicious (Covent Garden)
    Burger - Honest Burger (Soho)
    Italian/Pizza - Mio Restaurant (Westminster) [reservation needed if going at typical times]

We walked everywhere, based in Westminster, so can't advise on transport passes. We bought the Explorer pass for getting into some attractions, which was a good deal. A lot of the attractions close pretty early in the day we found, at which point you head to Soho/Covent/Piccadilly for bars, restaurants, etc...
    St Paul's Cathedral (my favourite, especially going up to the top)
    Buckingham Palace (State Rooms)
    Westminster Abbey
    Tower of London
    Tower Bridge (cooler at night)
    London Eye
    Natural History Museum
    Walk along the Thames
    Hyde Park, St James Park, Green Park
    Kensington Palace
    Big Ben & Westminster Palace (largely covered by scaffolding currently)
    London Dungeon

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Would love to. But my wife won’t eat seafood unless it’s deep fried haha, it’s a major drag on trips.
    Take her to a "Poppies" restaurant for fish and chips. Chain based, but in all my time in London, it had the most consistently good fried fish.

Indian food seems to be good everywhere.

Grab a double-decker bus pass to tour around and get a feel for the city. Tons to do and see as a tourist.

Changing of the guard ceremonies are normally at 11am. Fun to watch.

Camden was a fun place to go drinking.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Just don't go when Trump is in town XD

I went and it was a clusterfuck. Going back soon!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Just don't go when Trump is in town XD

I went and it was a clusterfuck. Going back soon!
    I’m leaving same day the prorogation ends. Should be entertaining.

Actually the prorogue is probably a good thing if I want to tour parliament.

fact.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Get a Oyster card. If you are strapped for time. Take the tube not the bus. Its just faster.

If you like museums. South Kensington on Piccadilly line. You have the Natural History Museum and Victoria and Albert right there.
    You can walk down Cromwell road to Harrods.
    Walk across the road (east) and you have the entrance to Hyde Park. Right next to the entrance is old Aspley House. Not a lot of people know this, but they also sell you a ticket to Wellington Arch. You can take the elevator to the top. Not many people know this and you get a nice quiet view of London.

If you get time, check out Hampton Court Palace. The gardens are really nice. Its a bit of a mission to get to as no real stations nearby. But worth it.
    If you want to get out of London. Do a day trip to Windsor. Its pretty easy. Take the tube to Paddington. Then jump on a mainline train west, you will have to change trains at one station (i can't remember). But Windsor castle is really nice. So is the park. Lots of really nice pubs and food places. Then jump on the train back. I
    If your hungry, the line stops at my home town (Southall) its like the 3rd/4th stop out of Paddington. Jump off and go to Lahore Karahi (restaurant). Order the Karahi chicken (You will thank me profoundly) and two naan. It will only be like 11.75. Its what I always order after going to the pub. Its the best.
    Then jump back on the mainline train to Paddington.

You can walk around Covent Garden, lots of placers nearby like Soho, Piccadilly, National Portrait gallery etc. Its waaay easier now that we have smart phones.
    If you go St'Pauls, you can walk across the river to Modern Tate Gallery. If you alk east, you will come across Tower Bridge. If you walk back west along the river. You will come back to Westminster and the Big wheel. Its kinda nice to do this in the late afternoon, early evening.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Get a Oyster card. If you are strapped for time. Take the tube not the bus. Its just faster.

If you like museums. South Kensington on Piccadilly line. You have the Natural History Museum and Victoria and Albert right there.
    You can walk down Cromwell road to Harrods.
    Walk across the road (east) and you have the entrance to Hyde Park. Right next to the entrance is old Aspley House. Not a lot of people know this, but they also sell you a ticket to Wellington Arch. You can take the elevator to the top. Not many people know this and you get a nice quiet view of London.

If you get time, check out Hampton Court Palace. The gardens are really nice. Its a bit of a mission to get to as no real stations nearby. But worth it.
    If you want to get out of London. Do a day trip to Windsor. Its pretty easy. Take the tube to Paddington. Then jump on a mainline train west, you will have to change trains at one station (i can't remember). But Windsor castle is really nice. So is the park. Lots of really nice pubs and food places. Then jump on the train back. I
    If your hungry, the line stops at my home town (Southall) its like the 3rd/4th stop out of Paddington. Jump off and go to Lahore Karahi (restaurant). Order the Karahi chicken (You will thank me profoundly) and two naan. It will only be like 11.75. Its what I always order after going to the pub. Its the best.
    Then jump back on the mainline train to Paddington.

You can walk around Covent Garden, lots of placers nearby like Soho, Piccadilly, National Portrait gallery etc. Its waaay easier now that we have smart phones.
    If you go St'Pauls, you can walk across the river to Modern Tate Gallery. If you alk east, you will come across Tower Bridge. If you walk back west along the river. You will come back to Westminster and the Big wheel. Its kinda nice to do this in the late afternoon, early evening.
    Good tips thanks! I was hoping you would chime in.

fact.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post

This X 1000 speaking of Oyster cards I think i still have mine, its like 10-15Pound refund, but the tube was reallly the way to go I had to load it and struggled doing it at first, don't remember now but find out best way to load it up before.

Edit: hope you didn't book with Thomas Cook airlines it just went bankrupt...
    Last edited by Kobe; 09-22-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I forgot to add.
    Oxford street will give you high street shopping.
    If you want to see the big shopping centres. It will be Westfield. There are two. One is in Stratford east London. The other is Shepherds Bush/White City (Red - Central line). They are fucking big. Take your passport if you want the tax free shopping receipts. Tax is 20%, you can save quite a bit. You need to get to the airport early to claim the cashback.

If your out really late. Edgeware road/Marble Arch is the Arab area (next to Oxford Street at the end - West side). Restaurants/shisha bars are open till very very late. You will get to see some nice expensive cars. I used to go there after dinner for mint tea.
    East end has some really good nightlife. The eastend is a really old part of London. Some parts are absolute shitholes. But you get some nice gems at night. Shoreditch and Old Street have some good bars and nighlife. They really do.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    Edit: hope you didn't book with Thomas Cook airlines it just went bankrupt...
    Haha nope just good old Air Chrétien, they aren’t going anywhere.

Who knew Thomas Cook as still a thing...

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Last time I was in Britain was the year Canada3000 went out of business! Those shitty companies are shitty.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Exploded.

If you want to see Big Ben, it's behind scaffolding till 2021.
    @tonytiger55 YESSSS thanks for this. I'm going to try and do your suggestions as well.

My Ride
    rally pig

What is the benefit of the Oyster card vs using your contactless credit card?
    This was a couple of years ago but we used our then Amazon.ca credit card to take the tubes around London, but we tried to walk as much as we and maybe used the tubes only 2-3 times a day.
    We also took one of the public double-decker busses that went from the Tower of London to the Big Ben.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    What is the benefit of the Oyster card vs using your contactless credit card?
    This was a couple of years ago but we used our then Amazon.ca credit card to take the tubes around London, but we tried to walk as much as we and maybe used the tubes only 2-3 times a day.
    We also took one of the public double-decker busses that went from the Tower of London to the Big Ben.
    ForEx rate on CCs fluctuate + ForEx fee per transaction/scan vs. Oyster card fill-up is minimal fees (less transactions)

It's double ding. However, there might be an app now so you can just do auto top-up but I don't know about fees on that one.
    Last edited by flipstah; 09-23-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast