Quantcast
Climate change discussion. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate change discussion.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I think the bigger concern is the growing population, disease, human waste & pollution of our oceans.

The Earth will be around long after humans kill themselves off.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Earth will be around long after humans kill themselves off.
    Right, because apparently we ought not to be doing anything (per your last comment).

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Right, because apparently we ought not to be doing anything (per your last comment).
    Do you honestly feel the world will follow our virtuous lead? It's hard to lead by example when no one gives a shit about you...

Canada has two choices. The one commonly touted by the "Well, we can't do nothing" crowd basically means that we voluntarily lower our standards of living and resultant emissions, to lead the world by example. As correctly pointed out, it would not make a material difference in global emissions, but we can feel good that we're leading the way and providing an example for other countries to follow, if they so choose (they won't, but we can still pat ourselves on the back about it).

The other option is - and this would be my preference - for Canada to be as prosperous as possible. Continue to develop our natural resources in a responsible and sustainable way, just as we've done, so that Canadian resource companies can pay Canadian royalties and Canadian wages to Canadian employees that pay Canadian taxes. We can then use this prosperity to develop new technologies, and ultimately commercialize them to be deployed around the world. We could achieve this through some changes in tax policy, namely a re-jigged royalty tax structure and a reasonable carbon tax that is not revenue neutral and does not go into general revenues.

In my opinion, carbon tax revenue should focus on reducing carbon emissions from various angles. A carbon tax successfully implemented in this way would achieve two goals - firstly, it would serve to provide a gentle nudge to change consumer behaviour, such as buying a more efficient vehicle which will ultimately reduce emissions. Secondly, (and more importantly in my view), the revenue from this tax could be used to provide funding and grants for R&D into new technologies, transit and other infrastructure developments, low or zero interest loans for companies to commercialize green technologies and could maybe even go towards developing nuclear power generation.

I am not in favour of knee-capping our resource industries and lowering our standards of living, all while saddling future of Canadians with unsustainable debt, just so we can tell our selves some warm and fuzzy platitudes about making a difference.
    Last edited by you&me; 09-24-2019 at 03:43 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Do you feel we as a Country we will have an impact on the global environment if we switch to 100% renewable energy?
    Last edited by 89coupe; 09-24-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Best thing we could do is control population. How do we do that? Make immunizations illegal so the weakest of us die off and the strong spread their seed. Bam!!! Two problems solved with one play...
    Last edited by tirebob; 09-24-2019 at 03:50 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

You're both smarter and better than this response. That isn't even what he said.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    You're both smarter and better than this response. That isn't even what he said.
    Isn't it?

It’s sad that our Government is willing to kill our Country to prove to the rest of the world we are a leader in clean energy. Meanwhile the rest of the world continues to prosper. We contribute 2% of global emissions.

Makes no sense to me at all.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Isn't it?
    No.

He doesn't agree with what they're (the government) doing and how is how I read it, I'm sure he'll clarify though.

Being able to see that what they're doing is nonsensical doesn't mean you should do nothing. Are you aware of another country who is hamstringing themselves so badly to prove a point, all well continuing to support other countries in their wanton ways of pollution?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    No.

He doesn't agree with what they're (the government) doing and how is how I read it, I'm sure he'll clarify though.

Being able to see that what they're doing is nonsensical doesn't mean you should do nothing. Are you aware of another country who is hamstringing themselves so badly to prove a point, all well continuing to support other countries in their wanton ways of pollution?
    I'll address the other comments later. However, our country is hamstrung? Last I checked, unemployment ex-Alberta was low and the TSX was trading at an all-time high.

"Hamstrung".

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I'll address the other comments later. However, our country is hamstrung? Last I checked, unemployment ex-Alberta was low and the TSX was trading at an all-time high.

"Hamstrung".
    Last time I checked major corporations are pulling out of CANADA, nobody wants to invest in our Country. All the wealth management companies I have conversations with have zero interest in Canadian markets.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Last time I checked major corporations are pulling out of CANADA, nobody wants to invest in our Country. All the wealth management companies I have conversations with have zero interest in Canadian markets.
    Yep, unfortunately.

It’d be different if we had tech companies lining up at our door. But we don’t.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Yep, unfortunately.

It’d be different if we had tech companies lining up at our door. But we don’t.
    Maybe if we tried to attract them like we did/do in O&G? The cons just axed a few tech incentives/tax grants/etc...

So why would tech companies be lining up at our door? It's not like we give a fuck about attracting them... lol.

Maybe if we tried to attract them like we did/do in O&G? The cons just axed a few tech incentives/tax grants/etc...

So why would tech companies be lining up at our door? It's not like we give a fuck about attracting them... lol.
    You know what else can be used to attract Tech companies? Money.
    Money that will be made from a booming energy industry in Canada, which has the net effect of reducing global emissions.
    Now with all of this money, and the attraction of said tech companies we can further invest and continue to reduce emissions through alternative energy.

Please explain to me why we wouldn’t leverage an absolute golden goose in order to achieve the end goal of reduction in emissions?
    No offence but your line of thinking is extremely illogical.
    Last edited by vengie; 09-24-2019 at 07:58 PM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

How does one diversify without “tech” companies nowadays?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Are you more comfortable with foreign oil being shipped across the oceans then our own oil being shipped via pipelines?

Do you think oil tankers are safer, more environmentally friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Is it real? Is it human-caused? Can we do anything? Should we do anything? What's the best plan?

Discuss.
    I just trying to figure out why ES deliberately posted this knowing the chaos that would ensue? Just for shits and giggles?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I just trying to figure out why ES deliberately posted this knowing the chaos that would ensue? Just for shits and giggles?
    Because environmental talk was clogging up his oil thread.

My Ride
    Silverado

Im no expert, but the government shouldn't be picking winners and losers for subsidies. I'd much rather make Alberta attractive for investment across the board and see what develops organically.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Because environmental talk was clogging up his oil thread.
    Ding ding ding!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Are you more comfortable with foreign oil being shipped across the oceans then our own oil being shipped via pipelines?

Do you think oil tankers are safer, more environmentally friendly?
    This comment relates to nothing I've said, in this threads or other. What's your point?

Do you think I'm advocating we shut down oil production in Canada? If so, read my post on page 1 of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    How does one diversify without “tech” companies nowadays?
    Tons of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    You know what else can be used to attract Tech companies? Money.
    Money that will be made from a booming energy industry in Canada, which has the net effect of reducing global emissions.
    Now with all of this money, and the attraction of said tech companies we can further invest and continue to reduce emissions through alternative energy.

Please explain to me why we wouldn’t leverage an absolute golden goose in order to achieve the end goal of reduction in emissions?
    No offence but your line of thinking is extremely illogical.
    My line of thinking - and I'm not sure you even understand what that is - is not illogical. Thinking that we should roll out comparable incentives to other industries in order to draw them here kind of makes sense given that balancing our economy with non-boom/bust industries also makes sense.

I think your argument is that with all the money we generate from resource extraction, we would use it to attract investment? Except that every government we've had in power, including the current one, has no interest in reinvesting that money back into anything. We had years of making a ton of money and what did we do with it? Where is it now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Im no expert, but the government shouldn't be picking winners and losers for subsidies. I'd much rather make Alberta attractive for investment across the board and see what develops organically.
    How come we didn't see more tech/other industries enter the space pre-NDP?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast