Quantcast
Climate change discussion. - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate change discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by That_Nast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Acid rain and quicksand turned out to be less of a problem then I was led to believe when I was younger.
    Lol, I remember the huge hysteria around quicksand, and I was TERRIFIED I didn't step foot on sand until I was ~13-14

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Oh she had her way with JT today, I am sure he was in tears and will pledge at least 50 million to something in her honour.
    Are you sure he didn't man-splain something to her instead?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Are you sure he didn't man-splain something to her instead?
    I don't think he's qualified for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

He told her that the ozone was so bad in 2001 that his face turned brown.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I don't think he's qualified for that.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ExtraSlow again.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

This might not be the perfect thread for this article but the first sentence sure seems like it's a good fit. A great read.
    "Our society urgently needs to address the climate crisis, and a big part of that solution involves using Canada’s abundance of oil and gas."

https://www.queensjournal.ca/story/2...to-provide-it/
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Silverado

Its worth of note that putting up a million and a half solar panels is still a good idea. Right now, carbon hate is at fever pitch. The last thing you want to do is look like a oil baron baby eater in front of the Greta's of the world. Because if you piss off the Gretas', they will eventually turn into Wiebos'.

Solar panel = cheap insurance against looking like Buzz Aldrin - that is - an absolute dickwad. Does Greta think that Buzz is the worst human being ever? Someone should ask. Personally I don't think Buzz is anywhere near as bad as Rob Anders or McCain, but Buzz is definitely on the wrong side of dickwad. Greta is eventually the one you have to cater to, because Buzz has almost passed on.

Photovoltaic solar, if it maintains its downward price march, will eventually become cheaper than all other forms of energy including carbon. That is not something that I think Albertans want to hear, but it is definitely heading that way (but not for a few decades). Along with cereal box top redemption priced cellphones and tablets.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 09-29-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Solar panel manufacturing isn't exactly carbon neutral. So pick your poison, Greta.
    https://relay.nationalgeographic.com...bility-ranking

Thing is though, you are looking at it from the perspective of using carbon to create solar panels. Which admittedly is mostly necessary as of today, but maybe not so much in the future.

There are plenty of places on earth where there is stupendously abundant free energy, but not as much local use for it. Three gorges dam, active magma chambers, even the Bay of Fundy goes mostly untapped, because there is little local use for energy generation. As long as the moon rotates around the earth, the Bay of Fundy will create more energy per day than a country needs.

But what if you put a silicon ingot plant right beside the Bay of Fundy, and then ship the ingot/cut ingots/panels to where you actually need the energy? The beauty of solar production is that you can build the ingot plant anywhere, as its simply a matter of melting it. Most places in the world have decent enough sand (not microchip quality sand, but definitely high enough quality to produce mid-grade solar panels) so you don't even have to invest much in shipping materials in, its about as close to free gets, as well as being stupendously simple.

Where do people think that "cheap Chinese solar panels" are coming from? They don't use the coal plants (which they can build close, but just outside cities to minimize line losses) They build the solar manufacturing plant where the power is abundant for the area, that means - Three Gorges Dam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc_furnace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_...wer_output.JPG Lets say the immediate area around the dam needs the equivalent of five coal plants (3,000 MW) What do you do with the excess energy? You build a silicon ingot smelter.

Stupendously I say.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 09-30-2019 at 12:23 PM.

I'm gonna say this too, while the champion of the boomer generation may have been Buzz, and what made the nation "happy" at the time - You cannot say the same of the upcoming generations. Many are not happy with that particular legacy, a legacy of pollution - and a garbage patch in the middle of the ocean larger than Texas.

Give a man a hammer and everything will start looking like nails. Give a man oil, and everything will start looking like it should burn.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 09-30-2019 at 12:28 PM.

My Ride
    ute

It's weird how similar Climate Change Hysterics are to Climate Change Deniers.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/churc...ign=benshapiro

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It's weird how similar Climate Change Hysterics are to Climate Change Deniers.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/churc...ign=benshapiro
    Just like anyone in the "news" these days. You only hear about the fanatical extremes.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Just like anyone in the "news" these days. You only hear about the fanatical extremes.
    Both sides are amply represented in this very thread.

Also about solar panels: They are slowly working their way toward silicon extrusion as opposed to drop forging. This means that silicon panels could be made from long "wires" instead of two or three foot ingots. This last step will allow 24/7 production of silicon panels and greatly reduce the number of humans in intermediate steps.

If you can extrude a mile long length, cutting it while it cools at the one end - you can reduce the cost of solar panels even further and potentially increase output 10x.

USA? Stupendously far behind in this aspect. The USA has concerned itself with adding another 1,000 patented parts to a 2,000 part combustion engine, to make it run 0.5% more efficiently. Its obvious to me who is winning. I do tend to blame NASA for this particular problem, the USA is now fixated on "more complicated = gooder because you can charge lots of money for it"

I do get the feeling that China has already taken some sort of intermediate step that I was not aware of, because they did try that "solar road" and although it was a spectacular failure, you do have to wonder where they got all those silicon wafers to start with. You can order up 1 million, 100 or 200 watt panels from China today, and as long as you show the money - it will show up in three weeks.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...ar-road-theft/

When panels drop further, I can imagine the USA will move from a 25% tariff to 50% to probable ban on solar panels to "protect American industries" which means auto-patent holders and the entire combustion vehicle industry. The shift may soon be here, but the USA is working hard to stop it.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-01-2019 at 08:04 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm a big fan of any form of "alternative" energy, but it's always seemed to me like Solar had the widest application. Works really well as distributed micro-generation in residential and industrial applications, even if us "first world" people will probaly want some form of grid-tie for backup. Works great in remote or third-world situations where you either live without backup or you maintain your own energy storage solution.

Increasing efficiency and decreasing capital costs of solar are both happening, and I think they will continue to happen.

Cheap clean energy is good for everyone, even oil and gas people. I look forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    But what if you put a silicon ingot plant right beside the Bay of Fundy, and then ship the ingot/cut ingots/panels to where you actually need the energy? The beauty of solar production is that you can build the ingot plant anywhere, as its simply a matter of melting it. Most places in the world have decent enough sand (not microchip quality sand, but definitely high enough quality to produce mid-grade solar panels) so you don't even have to invest much in shipping materials in, its about as close to free gets, as well as being stupendously simple.
    This is nonsensical. Its the same type of talk of 'yes yes if we do this it will work' kinda nonsenese.
    This statement pretty much highlights the problem of why climate change is not taken seriously.

You cannot use any sand. By that logic you could build a Solar plant in Saudi Arabia. Lots of Sun and plenty of sand. How much energy would you use to purify that sand..? Mining and shipping the other materials to do that..?

It all comes down to the same argument. The entire supply chain is carbon and the energy issue is a storage issue. Not a production issue.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Global emissions GO down when we export more energy, because we are displacing even dirtier shit.
    Are you sure? All I see everywhere is that oilsands oil is the most carbon intensive on the planet, which makes sense. I haven't been able to find any good data to refute that either. Kind of paints us with a shitty brush. Undoubtedly we keep our environment the cleanest, but in terms of CO2 emissions, are we actually better than anyone?

Look at saudi, they poke a hole in the ground and make 1000-10000 bbl per day. We need mega fracs and oilsands to approach their productivity

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    The amount of delusional people per capita on beyond amazes me.
    This statement is so deliciously vague that people on both sides of the debate read it and wholeheartedly agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    If you're trying to draw him back to the forum you may have better luck scattering some free Bitcoin.
    Seems to have worked, he logged in a couple of days ago. Dafuq happened to @Mibz anyway?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Seems to have worked, he logged in a couple of days ago. Dafuq happened to @Mibz anyway?
    When I was typing this I had the image of Carter Pewterschmidt fishing for Lois and his wife with the dollar bill on a string.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast