Quantcast
Climate change discussion. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate change discussion.

My Ride
    ute

When people say "diversification" I roll my eyes.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My favorite part of this is that if climate change is as catastrophic and crisis as we’re led to believe, Alberta will be one of the best places on the planet to inhabit. The irony.
    Actually it's making things worse in Alberta, we're getting some pretty crazy hail storms the past decade.

Insurance data compiled by AMA Insurance has revealed that 51% of all storm-related damage in Canada since 2010 has occurred in Alberta.

Since 2010, Alberta has incurred about $5 billion of insurance damage involving storms.

Collecting data from insurance providers, AMA also reported that 66% of Canada’s major hailstorms happen in the province. The most severe hail event on record occurred in August 2010, which caused almost $400 million in damages.
    I don't believe that includes the flood since that was 5 billion in damages by itself.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com...da-171872.aspx

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Actually it's making things worse in Alberta, we're getting some pretty crazy hail storms the past decade.
    This is where the climate change rhetoric is counter-productive. People assume that because the data seems to indicate that humans are causing climate change, that the outcomes that are discussed are also being held up to the same rigor. But they're not. The data on the impact of climate change is far weaker (or non-existent).

You can't take a leap from a proven hypothesis and assume the next potential hypothesis is also true.

Is Climate Change Real? Yes, climate changes all the time. We're witnessing weather events that have happened since the beginning of time.
    Are they increasing in frequency and intensity? Nope, in fact looking at hurricane data, they are at a historical low.
    Does Man-Made Carbon Production have anything to do with climate Change? Nope
    Does increased CO2 levels greening the planet. You bet.
    Are there constant Doomsday predictions that have gotten wrong time after time after time after time after time after time? Yep
    Has Environment Canada been deleting inconvenient climate data over the last 100 years? Yep
    Is the Green New Deal and other Climate Policies meant to change the economy and enslave people? Yep.

"Diversification" is what nations that cannot easily print money or declare bankruptcy do.

If you always have the ability to declare bankruptcy on $915 million worth of bad loans, then you tend to not understand the value of diversification as a safety net. Asian countries all understand this, the USA most definitely does not. If they ever brought back "debtors prisons" that applied to every human, you can absolutely be sure people would diversify.

https://usdebtclock.org/ Putting people in jail, or breaking thumbs for owing $100, would not work in the USA as everyone is in debt. The entire nation would be in jail.

In many ways, you can blame a lot of the US current woes on big bets in one direction. Putting all eggs in one basket does not work when you actually have to pay blood for mistakes. Millennials did not go through the $14/bbl lean years, but older GenX most definitely did.

By my estimation, spending a little more than half a Billion on 1.5 million solar panels in Alberta is very cheap insurance against energy tail risks of oil. If you assume that man did not land on the moon (all or nothing USA) then diversification is superior to all-in. If you believe they put a man on the moon, I'm not sure if you think that all-in is a good strategy - as I can't see your viewpoint (Green needle or Brainstorm, once you've got your brain going one way - its usually hard to see/hear the other perspective)

Global warming single best thing for alberta. We might actually get more surface moisture in addition to warmer. This will allow growing things like hardier fruit trees, without having to pump arsenic laden groundwater. Which also means: Even more potential flooding for Calgary.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...ion/ar-AAHEw5a
    Last edited by ZenOps; 09-24-2019 at 05:54 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

People are at the root of the climate crisis, and no one wants to talk about population control.
    Since climate change is man made, there should be a Climate Change Tax on having kids.
    20 tonnes/year (average) x $50/tonne x 100 years = $100,000 per kid.
    If you have kids and are unable to pay the new tax, you will be sent to Eco-jail and be forced to subsist on nothing but Beyond Meat burgers.

This is a posit: Buzz Aldin arguably burned 100 million kilograms of fuel to play a round of golf on the moon. 50 years later, he complains that he was not paid enough to do it. Is this combustion/carbons all-in legacy?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    "We're trying to put a band-aid on a stab wound."
    I think it's more like putting pressure and calling an ambulance for a buddy who has a stab wound......it won't ensure he is saved, but it's the best you can do with what you have. In the grand scheme of things, what effect will Canada have even with emissions being zero if the rest of the developing nations are going hog wild with anything they can get there hands on for energy.
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 09-24-2019 at 09:07 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    People are at the root of the climate crisis, and no one wants to talk about population control.
    Since climate change is man made, there should be a Climate Change Tax on having kids.
    20 tonnes/year (average) x $50/tonne x 100 years = $100,000 per kid.
    If you have kids and are unable to pay the new tax, you will be sent to Eco-jail and be forced to subsist on nothing but Beyond Meat burgers.
    We should just nuke India , start a war with china and give out a few hundred thousand free AK-47's to various groups in Africa, we could drop a couple billion in ten years.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I’m fully on board. We don’t need one 40 billion dollar LNG terminal, we need 20!

We have to get gas to the east, they’re derailing everyone’s efforts.

And how could they not? Like said above, developing countries are getting whatever cheap energy they can.

They’re undermining everyone’s efforts, it’s downright fucked.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

One large volcano erruption and this whole climate change takes a turn. Shortage in Canada Goose jackets will be the headline.

In reality:
    Target the high producers first to make the most impact.
    Really, LNG sales to China from Canada would make a bigger CO2 reducing impact by getting them off Coal than anything Canada can do internally. China is building bigger Coal plants and they consume over 45% of the world's coal.
    Name:  Capture34.JPG
Views: 479
Size:  69.8 KB

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

This is interesting. Not sure what to believe now

https://climatism.blog/2018/08/09/cl...e-been-fooled/
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    One large volcano erruption and this whole climate change takes a turn. Shortage in Canada Goose jackets will be the headline.

In reality:
    Target the high producers first to make the most impact.
    Really, LNG sales to China from Canada would make a bigger CO2 reducing impact by getting them off Coal than anything Canada can do internally. China is building bigger Coal plants and they consume over 45% of the world's coal.
    Name:  Capture34.JPG
Views: 479
Size:  69.8 KB
    So we should nuke a volcano?

I'm more concerned about food security in regards to climate change. If countries that currently produce all the food Canada consumes suddenly decided they only could produce enough to feed their own citizens then what would we be eating up here, although I think if the world is going down this path food will become really expensive first.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanEG6 View Post
    This is interesting. Not sure what to believe now

https://climatism.blog/2018/08/09/cl...e-been-fooled/
    I've taken a couple 500 level Uni courses on this before it was big business and a buzz word. Firmly believe climate change is and never has been caused by Anthropogenic forces and climate's going to do what it's going to do. Always been changing over thousands of years and always will.

Remember when the ozone layer was the buzz word and we all quit using cfc's so we could fix it? We did it! And under 20 years after using cfc's for 50 some years. Miraculous! Especially since you can trace cfc's still being heavily used in China to this day.
    So did this ozone layer problem really go away due to human influence?

My Ride
    4x4

Remember this picture from school? Name:  sealed-bottle-garden-david-latimer-coverimage.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  66.2 KB

Welcome to earth...

We're now supposedly a not carbon sink because the Canadian shield is releasing co2... But somehow that doesn't apply to the "world's lungs" the Amazon rainforests..

We are in effect a sealed system. Earth's composition has changed over millennia, carbon gets sequestered, carbon released. We've gone from no polar ice caps to being completely covered. Co2 levels now are lower than they were in the pleioscene epoch.

How about we take on a reasoned approach of not doing bad shit to mother Earth? Remember all those cyanide contaminated areas down in Kentucky West Virginia etc? Millions of acres of unusable lands because coal mining was done without environmental protection? Well now we're getting lithium Cobalt and other heavy metals from Africa because they'll mine it in similar ways with no environmental protections or worker safety rules because it's cheaper and feeds our insane need to have electric vehicles for cheap. At the cost of course of having these lands become unusable for millennia again...

We're more likely to kill off human civilization than anything else.

Here's China's CFC stuff that hit the news awhile back.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48353341

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    So we should nuke a volcano?

I'm more concerned about food security in regards to climate change. If countries that currently produce all the food Canada consumes suddenly decided they only could produce enough to feed their own citizens then what would we be eating up here, although I think if the world is going down this path food will become really expensive first.
    Vertical farming is a good solution to this dilemma.

Though, won't help us with bananas/etc.

Well the good news is im no longer using my duramax turbo diesel powered prostate tenderizer. Ive gone green and switched to solar.

Food won't be too big a problem in Canada. We have a low enough population density for it not to be a problem.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

It’s sad that our Government is willing to kill our Country to prove to the rest of the world we are a leader in clean energy. Meanwhile the rest of the world continues to prosper. We contribute 2% of global emissions.

Makes no sense to me at all.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast