Quantcast
Eddie Maurice getting sued. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddie Maurice getting sued.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find the outrage a little misplaced here. A guy shot at someone who was rummaging for change in a vehicle. The guy didnt pose an immediate life and death threat.

Even if we had any sort of castle type law this wouldnt be allowed.

I had my truck broken into a couple weeks back. Theres no way I'm taking shots at those thieves when their not a threat. But I suppose theres a few of us still grounded in reality.
    Reality? You want to talk about reality?

In reality, the guys should never have been on the property in the first place. They went on to the property with the entire mindset that what they were doing was illegal. They went onto the property with the intention of burglarizing the place. They went there to commit a crime. Only they know how far they would have taken it.

Would they go to the house next? or just stop at the cars and trucks.

Do they have weapons? Do they intend to use them? Are they coming to the house next?

Eddie took the appropriate action there. He stopped the threat. Period. He kept himself, his kids and loved ones safe. I don't care if it was a ricochet or a straight-up attempt to kill the fuckers. Either way, his goal was achieved. His loved ones are safe and the only ones hurt was the criminal.

In reality, that fucker WAS a threat until Eddie shot him. That is grounded in reality and if you don't like it, go sing kumbaya with Trudeau.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

hah. You guys sure get your panties in a bunch real quick. We know the thief is a scum bag but that doesnt give someone the right to shoot them.

Wasnt the thief shot by the ricochet while fleeing?

I'm all for people defending their home if their life was in danger but I stop when people start throwing out hypothetical scenarios to justify their vigilante justice.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Reality? You want to talk about reality?

In reality, the guys should never have been on the property in the first place. They went on to the property with the entire mindset that what they were doing was illegal. They went onto the property with the intention of burglarizing the place. They went there to commit a crime. Only they know how far they would have taken it.

Would they go to the house next? or just stop at the cars and trucks.

Do they have weapons? Do they intend to use them? Are they coming to the house next?

Eddie took the appropriate action there. He stopped the threat. Period. He kept himself, his kids and loved ones safe. I don't care if it was a ricochet or a straight-up attempt to kill the fuckers. Either way, his goal was achieved. His loved ones are safe and the only ones hurt was the criminal.

In reality, that fucker WAS a threat until Eddie shot him. That is grounded in reality and if you don't like it, go sing kumbaya with Trudeau.
    I'm fairly anti gun, but fully support this and the whole castle law stuff and how it's f'ed up in Canada. One of many legal problems with this country.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    What lawyer wouldn't? he gets paid either way. $$$
    Why? it's civil. I doubt the crook has money to pay a lawyer. If he did, have two cents to rub together, the victim should counter sue. I imagine the trauma of someone breaking into your house in the middle of the night with only you and your daughter home. Life-long emotional scarring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    What the heck kind of gun would you be using to shoot through multiple walls and layers of walls and still having enough momentum to kill someone outside?

Kind of a ridiculous question... Have to be a huge house to use a hunting rifle inside for self defense, but have neighbours close enough to be killed outside your walls....
    Houses are drywall and press board. A good pellet gun will do the trick.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    A .177 air rifle round won't penetrate siding and chipboard. (Shed as target backstop knowledge) nor will it kill someone after. We used that shed as a backstop for the 308 too, most rounds didn't get out the back side.

My Ride
    Model S

I don’t think people should be shot at for trespassing and stealing shit. But the cops can’t get there in time, and the property owner can’t do anything, and they know that and exploit it all day long. So I think people should be shot at for trespassing and stealing shit. Getting grazed by a .22 seems like appropriate punishment. Next time he should lose a limb.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    "Shoot, shovel, shut-up"
    Dont many ranchers have pre dug holes for animals to get buried in? You would never have heard of this case if they did the above and saved the government untold millions no doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    What the heck kind of gun would you be using to shoot through multiple walls and layers of walls and still having enough momentum to kill someone outside?

Kind of a ridiculous question... Have to be a huge house to use a hunting rifle inside for self defense, but have neighbours close enough to be killed outside your walls....
    If I shot a slug in my house, and was aiming (unintentionally) at the neighbours, the shrapnel alone might kill them.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post

So much NO.
    Pellet guns got their fps legally Nerf'd something like 20 years ago and now they're fucking useless. I couldn't kill a squirrel unless I hit it in the throat and non throat/head shots didn't even puncture. It frightened them off leaping and bounding with great vigor and energy to return an hour later looking for more. I found "hollow point" pellets and tried those. No difference.
    The same gun would only cleanly kill a magpie about 30% of the time! They can't kill. A fucking. BIRD.
    Aside from the risk of eye injury, I'm almost comfortable saying that today's pellet guns are a safer children's toy than a Razor Scooter.
    Drywall and Pressboard would make you into the Call Of Duty Juggernaut against pellet guns.
    I'll see if I can find a spare drywall chunk and try mine. Hell, I should just do it in my living room and use it as a pilot hole to hang a picture. My guess is it won't go 1/8" into it at point blank range.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    "I thought I saw a gun and I think I heard him say he was going to kill me, I was afraid for me life". Case closed?
    Name:  331457.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  73.7 KB

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

A few things here:

1 - I thought I heard that the homeowner didn't shoot AT the thieves, but rather fired a warning shot that ricocheted off something and hit the thief in the arm?

2 - There is no need for public support and especially no need for any kind of fundraising. Because the homeowner (Eddie) was not found criminally responsible for the original incident his homeowner's insurance will cover this whole thing including the legal costs to defend. He doesn't even have to pay the friggin' deductible! The liability coverage on your property policy is exactly for dumb shit like this.

3 - For those who are saying that society is going to hell in a hand basket with this lawsuit stuff, these kinds of cases have been happening for DECADES! 20 years ago I took an insurance course on liability and one of the case studies was a guy in Edmonton that was trying to break into a school so he climbed on to the roof and fell through a skylight and broke his back. He sued the school based on the idea that there should have been a safety railing around the skylight and he won! This kind of dumb-assery has been going on long before current times folks.
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 09-25-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I find the outrage a little misplaced here. A guy shot at someone who was rummaging for change in a vehicle. The guy didnt pose an immediate life and death threat.

I had my truck broken into a couple weeks back. Theres no way I'm taking shots at those thieves when their not a threat. But I suppose theres a few of us still grounded in reality.
    You have to move to a rural property to understand. Someone being on your property is a lot different than if your place is in the city.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    You have to move to a rural property to understand. Someone being on your property is a lot different than if your place is in the city.
    All he has to understand is that the only person valuing their life at the contents of a glove box is the thief. It's a very simple concept.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

A .22 round worth pennies is a great ROR if it saves you the $1.35 they were going to steal from your truck console.

- fuck these scumbags they deserved worse than a riccochet.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    A .22 round worth pennies is a great ROR if it saves you the $1.35 they were going to steal from your truck console.
    On the next Freakonomics Podcast.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Except he didn't actually shoot at the guy rummaging in the truck. He fired warning shots into the ground and one ricocheted.

Canadian self defense laws are reasonably clear and the people who have the means to defend themselves and are willing to use them are probably fairly clear on when they can actually use what could wind up being deadly force.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    On the next Freakonomics Podcast.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Heres a different view point. Anyone who owns a gun understands the laws and limitations in which we can engage/shoot someone. The laws definitely need to be changed but that's a different issue in itself.

Every gun owner has a choice to make knowing the laws suck for gun owners on their property who choose to utilize them to defend their property.

The guy shot a thief over change in a vehicle. He made the choice to shoot knowing the repercussions. I dont feel sorry for the trouble someone get in when they decide to make the choices they do.

If he was defending his family and life was at risk I'd have a different opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Except he didn't actually shoot at the guy rummaging in the truck. He fired warning shots into the ground and one ricocheted.

Canadian self defense laws are reasonably clear and the people who have the means to defend themselves and are willing to use them are probably fairly clear on when they can actually use what could wind up being deadly force.
    I'd say our gun laws need a revamp so a property owner can defend their property without going to court while spending tens of thousands of dollars.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Im of the opinion that there needs to be a double standard for rural residents (as far as gun laws) as there is a double standard when it comes to policing out there (ie, there is none to speak of).

Firing warning shots should be allowed in these cases, at least in my books.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Im of the opinion that there needs to be a double standard for rural residents (as far as gun laws) as there is a double standard when it comes to policing out there (ie, there is none to speak of).

Firing warning shots should be allowed in these cases, at least in my books.
    Average response time to a priority 1 call (ie you are being murdered) in Edmonton is 7 minutes. People living in urban areas should have every right to defend their families, just like in rural areas. If someone breaks into a home while residents are there, all bets are off as you do not know their intentions, what weapons they have, their state of mind, or what substances they have consumed. They have the element of surprise that the homeowner does not have.

Agree w/ spikers 100%
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast