Arbour Lake West - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arbour Lake West

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Default Arbour Lake West

Anyone check this development out?

https://communities.hopewellresident...medium=offline
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    Grimace

Ah so this was the farm. Pretty big ask for having a trailer park across the street no?

Trailer park doesn't matter, if people are going to spend almost a million to build a huge house just 60 feet off of McKnight then how much worse is a trailer park and a trailer park that's quite well maintained?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The city will find a way to gentrify that trailer park soon enough. That's thier move.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It’s a high density development with small lots for SFH. It’s really close to Arbour Lake school on the north side, basically a 1 minute walk for kids.

That trailer park is the nicest trailer park in the city. Adults only, 50+. Some nice cars in there haha. Doubt it’ll ever get gentrified.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

So being an Arbour Lake elder would you mind if I picked your brain?
    Are you for or against the development? Also, how often do you use the lake?
    I'm an Evanston resident for 8 years, and this is intriguing for me, as I have been living the SFH small lot life, for quite sometime, and I don't mind it, but the commute downtown is killing me, and it is only getting worse with more and more houses/high density being developed just off Symons Valley.

Can start with a fresh build, but that commute downtown would be much better. (I'm assuming)

Figured Beyond is the best place to get the pessimistic side of things to weigh that into a decision. Might go check it out this weekend.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’m neutral on the development. There’s concerns that needs to be met, on the nice days the lake is packed today. This is a high density development that ups population by 20%, and for the first few years will put a huge strain on lake amenities. I used to use the lake weekly in the summers, work out of there on Fridays. With kids and busy schedules, we get out to the lake a couple times a year in the summers. We use it more in winter for skating, at the peak we were out there 3-4x a week.

Commute to downtown is my favorite part of living here. 7am, 20 mins door to door. 9am, 22 mins. Winter, the worst of weather and drivers, 30 or so mins. My brother used to live in Kincora, the commute killed him and he moved in with me.

Transit options are excellent from there too. It’s a 10m walk to the train. Lots of people walk from the condos to the train in the mornings.

Let me know what other questions you have.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Great spot. If you're deaf.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Great spot. If you're deaf.
    What do you mean? It's isolated enough from everything where it's pretty quiet there, especially on the north side. We have a condo at 88 West and it's pretty quiet there even tho the balcony literally oversees Crowfoot.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    My brother used to live in Kincora, the commute killed him and he moved in with me.
    Remember that time you had to bus there?

I definitely agree that Symon's Valley Blvd / Beddington Trail is only good for about 1/2 the capacity it's currently taking. For Evanston they seem to be starting work on the 14 St bridge over to Save-On in Panorama but I'm not sure that really does anything other than strain traffic over to Harvest Hills Blvd where it's strained by new Livingston/Carrington + current Airdrie peeps.

Crowchild seems pretty capped as well with Cochrane folk. Personally I have enough ties deep SE that that far west wouldn't be an option with existing infrastructure. Maybe when the ring is finally a ring I would test the travel times and reconsider.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Crowchild is nowhere near capped in capacity until the lights at McMahon. The true choke point is the bow river bridge. The whole reason was because for the last decade there has been no huge developments west of the ring road due to the sewage capacity being maxed out.

There's a reason why my commute, as well as co-workers in Tuscany and Scenic Acres are so damn quick regardless of time.

My Ride

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I have an appointment set for Monday to go chat in greater detail.

Apparently they are all Zero Lot Lines for the SFH's, which obviously is the new trend in the city for these type of developments.

Doing some digging, and Hopewell Residential is the builder, who used to be Sabal Homes.
    There are some poor reviews (on Beyond of course) about Sabal. So that is something to consider as well.

Rage2, you've been happy with the schools in Arbour Lake I'm assuming, given you have stayed....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Our oldest went to Langevin (K-9) in Bridgeland until last year. He decided to make the switch this year to Arbour Lake School (5-9) this year so that he can have some more local friends so when it comes time to move to high school he won't be starting from scratch there. Too soon to have any meaningful info there. For K-4 you get bussed to Citadel, no red flags after a year there for our middle child.

Ask me again in a year haha.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I have an appointment set for Monday to go chat in greater detail.

Apparently they are all Zero Lot Lines for the SFH's, which obviously is the new trend in the city for these type of developments.

Doing some digging, and Hopewell Residential is the builder, who used to be Sabal Homes.
    There are some poor reviews (on Beyond of course) about Sabal. So that is something to consider as well.

Rage2, you've been happy with the schools in Arbour Lake I'm assuming, given you have stayed....
    FWIW, I have a Sabal home that was build back in 2008 and have no major issues with it. Some tiny issues in the home and a grading WTF, but that's about it. No experience building with them though.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Are we living in the same city. Crowchild isn't anywhere near capped in the NW. Give me the NW over the deep south any day of the week.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Maybe I just have different definitions than y'all.
    My define "capped" as when I have to wait 3 reds to get through any specific intersection.
    For crowchild this would be 24 Ave, 5 Ave, and Kensington Road

For SVR/Beddington Trail it's pretty much every light N of CHB

NB/SB Shaganappi at CHB is also horrible but they've improved flow with 3 lanes, which still bottlenecks NB with a 2 lane bridge over stoney

The NB/SB Center Street at McKnight is also horrible for this but I bypass this by being a transit pleb.

*disclaimer before someone has a comment about my post. This is just a list of my personal observations and is not exhaustive
    Last edited by jwslam; 09-25-2019 at 09:59 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, my definition of at capacity is the inability to drive at speed limit. You're right though, 24th, 5th and Kensington lights are gong shows. Haven't had 3 light waits, it actually moves pretty decent if you know what lane to be in. That part is the slowest part of my commute, averaging 7 mins between Kensington and 24th. Then it's 100+ baby haha. It's a small choke point in the grand scheme of things compared to other parts of the city. When I have to go to Kincora in rush hour to pick up the kids, fucking shoot me in the head. Don't get to drive speed limit until I clear John Laurie on 14th street. It's literally faster to drive towards home, get on stoney, then loop back to Symon Valley.

My Ride

Ok. Thanks for the info.

I'm "Catholic" officially, as in I have been baptized.....my wife, nor my kids are, but that means they would be eligible to go to St. Ambrose. Which would be nice, as it is a quick walk up the path from there.

Anyone know how much they paid for that farm land?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the info.

I'm "Catholic" officially, as in I have been baptized.....my wife, nor my kids are, but that means they would be eligible to go to St. Ambrose. Which would be nice, as it is a quick walk up the path from there.
    And K-9, and (was) full day kindergarten. That's a good school, I have friends that have kids go there, plus one of my neighbours used to teach there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Anyone know how much they paid for that farm land?
    Only Hopewell and the estate knows that. There's interesting backstory as to how this land actually ended up with Hopewell. First, some history of the land:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...82084862795792

The Hawkwood family made Arbour Lake their home, and donated a ton of money to the community to build Lake amenities such as the community centre, with funds to support it for a few decades. This is why we have such low community fees in Arbour Lake. Aurica Hawkwood passed away in 2015. The farmland was supposed to be converted into an open park for community residents as stated in her will, but the city refused to rezone it as such. Estate had no choice but to sell off the land, which went to Hopewel, and rezoned as residential as it sits now. This is the reason why there was so much NIMBY involved in this plot of land, there was very little communications to the community and people were pissed that the land wasn't available for the community anymore.

Anyways, I'm not against it at all, would've been nice to have that land accessible for the community, but it would've cost a fortune to maintain. Just hoping the lake doesn't get insanely busy with a 20% spike in population.

edit - this is the story that I've been told by people involved in the community and residents association as to how it was sold to Hopewell. People in the community that knew about the Hawkwood family had thought that it was turning into community space, and was surprised when Hopewell came along. Here's an article on the NIMBY. Should've gotten a better Greta Thunberg wannabe haha.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/s...81608125366785

edit2 - Hopewell got fined earlier this year (or maybe last year) when they started work and killed off one of the wetlands before any permit was given. They were supposed to preserve them I think? DGAF haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast