Quantcast
Edmonton Liquor Store Robberies Rise 300% - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Liquor Store Robberies Rise 300%

Default Edmonton Liquor Store Robberies Rise 300%

https://globalnews.ca/news/5947290/s...ore-robberies/

I guess getting a regular job and paying for goods is too old school for some people? Just grab some bear spray, some buddies, and walk, don’t run. What’s the fine for doing something like this? A couple slaps on the wrist?

My Ride
    *The First*

Holy shit. That's like 18/day!!?
    I hate the Marth of "300% increase" because they could mean either triple or quadruple but either way, I'm shocked that there was ever even 4 or 6 per day!
    This is a serious problem.
    Let's focus on more bathrooms for neutered people and saying sorry for crimes perpetrated by people none of us are related to that took place 300 years ago. If we all focus hard enough on that, these liquor store robberies will be eradicated.
    Maybe we should change the anthem more? Oh shit, this is in Edmonton? More photo radar traps, then. That'll fix it.

Wtf... zero ambiguity to the statement 300%

My buddy manages a large liquor store (chain) in Calgary and this is a serious problem. Company policy is to sit by and call the cops/do nothing otherwise. His specific store is approaching ~$2000/week in stolen liquor. It is almost always Natives. If he or his staff intervene with the theft, it results in termination of job.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wtf... zero ambiguity to the statement 300%
    Oh, good! Please tell me with certainty how many robberies there was at this point last year based on there being 18,000 this year and some CTV reporter with a Journalism "degree" telling us that it's been a "300% increase". State the number.

My Ride
    4x4

Wouldn't surprise me... 2-3 a night in the radio in okotoks/high river/Turner valley RCMP dispatch was fairly consistent last year. Treated about as seriously as parking complaints.

My Ride
    VAG products

Not Edmonton but... I was in liquor depot a couple weeks ago in marda loop around midnight and 7 people ran in and cleared shelves. It was quite the raid. The staff just kept yelling at them to leave, when we went to pay they said this has been happening more in more.

Quote Originally Posted by HHBL View Post
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5947290/s...ore-robberies/

I guess getting a regular job and paying for goods is too old school for some people? Just grab some bear spray, some buddies, and walk, don’t run. What’s the fine for doing something like this? A couple slaps on the wrist?
    It is generally a slap on the wrist because it’s simply shoplifting until there is violence involved. It’s not the more serious robbery charge unless you use violence or the threat or violence in order to obtain the product... bad guys know this and that’s why they do this en masse and simply clear the shelves.

It’s all connected to organized crime and for them it sure is easier than getting a job or doing things the way the rest of us do because it’s a relatively high reward for little risk, as unfortunately the system just doesn’t take it seriously. I’ve personally arrested many of these folks over and over again for the same thing and they do a day served and walk out, do it again, rinse and repeat.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by phil98z24 View Post
    It is generally a slap on the wrist because it’s simply shoplifting until there is violence involved. It’s not the more serious robbery charge unless you use violence or the threat or violence in order to obtain the product... bad guys know this and that’s why they do this en masse and simply clear the shelves.

It’s all connected to organized crime and for them it sure is easier than getting a job or doing things the way the rest of us do because it’s a relatively high reward for little risk, as unfortunately the system just doesn’t take it seriously. I’ve personally arrested many of these folks over and over again for the same thing and they do a day served and walk out, do it again, rinse and repeat.
    I can’t imagine how unbelievably frustrating that is for you ffs

Someone really needs to take a hard look at who our “system” is actually serving.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Oh, good! Please tell me with certainty how many robberies there was at this point last year based on there being 18,000 this year and some CTV reporter with a Journalism "degree" telling us that it's been a "300% increase". State the number.
    Well..... 18,000 / 4 = 4500. Holy shit I can do grade 3 math....

My Ride
    *The First*

Good for you! It's nice you're SO CERTAIN that the person writing the story didn't go "old number = 6,000 and new number = 18,000 therefore triple and triple means '3' so write down in story that it's a 300% increase".
    I admire your faith in the mathematical abilities of journalists.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Percentages are fucked up in the news constantly. My favourite is when a number doubles, they call it a "200% increase" . There's real confusion in the difference between the amount you multiply a number by, and the amount that the percentage increase is.

Example. Year 1: 100, Year 2: 200, 100 x 200% = 200.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

It’s just sad that so many people completely lack integrity and accountability.

So fucking sad. Pathetic... hopefully they get hit by a ricochet
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Liquor store by my place has also had to take measures to mitigate the loss from thefts in the past few months, all of their big bottles (I think 1.75L) are no longer on shelves, staff has to go get it from the back (which seems like a great chance for someone to grab and dash too).

It might be time for liquor stores to go the old catalog shopping route. Pick your poison, place your order with the cashier, they go in the back to get your order, transaction done. Sad that things are headed this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    It’s just sad that so many people completely lack integrity and accountability.

So fucking sad. Pathetic... hopefully they get hit by a ricochet

My Ride
    V167

Sickening

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Watched a theft happen in front of me the other day. One woman held the front door open, one dude went to the back and smashed a glass vodka bottle to distract the employees and then another dude just started picking up stuff and they all just casually walked out. It was the superstore liquor store in Shawnessy at about 5 pm. 3 other customers in the store. They really give no fucks. The funniest thing to me was they had a paid security guard that just stood there doing nothing. Hard to not believe stereotypes...
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post
    Watched a theft happen in front of me the other day. One woman held the front door open, one dude went to the back and smashed a glass vodka bottle to distract the employees and then another dude just started picking up stuff and they all just casually walked out. It was the superstore liquor store in Shawnessy at about 5 pm. 3 other customers in the store. They really give no fucks. The funniest thing to me was they had a paid security guard that just stood there doing nothing. Hard to not believe stereotypes...
    I was in this liquor store a couple of months ago and noticed the security guard. I asked the teller about it and he told me they have thefts on a daily basis so it's supposed to be a deterrent.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post
    The funniest thing to me was they had a paid security guard that just stood there doing nothing. Hard to not believe stereotypes...

If he does anything he'll be either fired, charged, or sued. Fuck the "justice" system and fuck thieves, can't trust the system so take care of them yourself if you get the opportunity.

20 some years ago my friend's family ran a hotel/bar in a real sketch area, lots of the patrons were sketchy people. One day, one of the regulars got caught stealing from them. They didn't call the cops, they introduced him to a harsh reality of consequences and while he may have still stole once he could use his hands again - he never stole from them again. Of course today he'd end up in jail for protecting his property but that underscores why you don't need the police for petty crime, they're powerless through no fault of their own. People learn by actual consequences, when there are none there is no change in behaviour - just look at your own kids for evidence of that, it's just human nature.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

I can’t imagine how unbelievably frustrating that is for you ffs

Someone really needs to take a hard look at who our “system” is actually serving.
    We should vote liberal, so we can penalize them with a teepee sky pixie smoke out.
    ---
    Can they hire armed guards? ie; similar to a Brinks employee.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    We should vote liberal, so we can penalize them with a teepee sky pixie smoke out.
    ---
    Can they hire armed guards? ie; similar to a Brinks employee.
    ARMS??!?!??!?!? In Canada?

What are you some kind of American?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

ARMS??!?!??!?!? In Canada?

What are you some kind of American?
    Brink's just has to become a Government run corporation, problem solved.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast