Quantcast
Odd etiquette question re:tipping - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Odd etiquette question re:tipping

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Odd etiquette question re:tipping

So went on a lovely (and rare) date the other night at a moderately high end restaurant, and got distracted when using the debit machine. Ended up not pressing two zero's and tipping 1/100th of what I meant to and only noticed just now. Should I call one in, or just make sure next time I go back, I get the same server and double tip? We don't go often, but a few times a year.

Non-tippers need not reply. That argument is rehashed enough here.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Fuck I hate when that happens.

I’m for going back and double tipping, bonus points for apologizing in advance to avoid a sneeze muffin.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

If I forgot/accidentally f'd up a tip I would just go down and see the server and correct it. That'll go miles for your next visit anyway. Is it a typical place with server name on the bill?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

if you go back then mention it before you order so she doesn't spit in your food and give you shit service expecting a shitty tip anyway
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    If I forgot/accidentally f'd up a tip I would just go down and see the server and correct it. That'll go miles for your next visit anyway. Is it a typical place with server name on the bill?
    ^This.
    I've made exactly the same mistake as OP and it's a mandatory correction immediately, as above.

My Ride
    Silverado

Similiar enough happened to me when I had a gift card for half the meal and then I hit the auto tip on the credit machine, effectively leaving half of the tip.

I realized it before we got to the car and just ran back and flagged him over and explained and gave him cash for the rest. He pretended like he didn't notice which was nice enough.

If you're going back soon, just request the same server, make a joke out of it at the start, and give them double the tip when you're done.

If you aren't going back anytime soon, then I'd go back down there and offer what you intended to give as it was an honest mistake. They will be very appreciative I'm sure.

The server isn't dumb, they probably know it was a mistake if it was say $0.04 instead of $40.00 or whatever, especially if your intended amount was an even percentage (15%, 20%, 25%, etc.)

I have a similar story as well but the opposite scenario - we were out with some people who accidentally tipped too much, and they chased down the server asking for a refund....for $5.00. We don't hang out with them anymore for other reasons, but that was really surprising to see and the server was stunned.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I think it makes more sense to have gone down immediately to correct it than to just double up on your next visit. Even if you do get the same server next time, the kitchen/bartending staff may not be the same and they get a cut of the tips too. The staff on your second visit could be benefiting from the work of the staff from the first visit, even if they aren't as good.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    So went on a lovely (and rare) date the other night at a moderately high end restaurant, and got distracted when using the debit machine. Ended up not pressing two zero's and tipping 1/100th of what I meant to and only noticed just now. Should I call one in, or just make sure next time I go back, I get the same server and double tip? We don't go often, but a few times a year.

Non-tippers need not reply. That argument is rehashed enough here.
    Side question. Did you split the bill with your date?

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

Any pics of the date?

Lovely (and rare) date.
    Explain, is it "rarely dates are lovely" or "rare to go on date"??

I've messed this up before. Double date, group paid mostly with a gift card and I wasn't even watching, autopilot selected tip off the total paid, not total bill.
    As I was leaving, the server then started to call me out and chased me out of resturant asking if I thought service was crap and was obnoxious about it. Didn't even realize then, it was in the car and thought back and had an "ah shit" moment.
    Because server was a dick about it, I called me friends explaining why he was so pissed. We all agreed, F-him, he was a dick about it and left it as is.

You said it was a rare occasion so I would assume you don't go often so I would go back right away and do the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If you're going back soon, just request the same server, make a joke out of it at the start, and give them double the tip when you're done.

If you aren't going back anytime soon, then I'd go back down there and offer what you intended to give as it was an honest mistake. They will be very appreciative I'm sure.

The server isn't dumb, they probably know it was a mistake if it was say $0.04 instead of $40.00 or whatever, especially if your intended amount was an even percentage (15%, 20%, 25%, etc.)

I have a similar story as well but the opposite scenario - we were out with some people who accidentally tipped too much, and they chased down the server asking for a refund....for $5.00. We don't hang out with them anymore for other reasons, but that was really surprising to see and the server was stunned.
    I have a friend that has done this several times asking the servers where's the refund when we all just said give it to them for tip, but he thought it was too much. We don't hang around him much anymore either.......

My Ride
    LNF

My brother did that one time at joeys.. Accidentally tipped 0.05$ or something and the waitress had a real smart ass "THANK YOU FOR THAT" and stormed away.

My brother is handicapped and it was definitely a mistake, we did not realize until after we left because we were all confused to why she said that. We did not go back to change the tip after the way she handled it.

Amazing that these servers in the above 2 examples did not think it could be a mistake, especially since it was probably a multiple of an even percentage, and assuming the table was never visibly upset about anything. If you're going to chase down a customer at least be nice about it, otherwise you guarantee you aren't going to see any more of that tip.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have a few friends who are servers and you should see how frothed they get about those “I don’t tip” cards people leave, it’s super entertaining lol.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Lovely (and rare) date.
    Explain, is it "rarely dates are lovely" or "rare to go on date"??
    Rare to go on a "date". Reliable babysitters are rarer than fucking unicorns these days.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Side question. Did you split the bill with your date?
    You could say that, the bill came out of our joint account.

Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post
    You said it was a rare occasion so I would assume you don't go often so I would go back right away and do the correction.
    We were actually planning on going back for a weekday lunch somewhat soon. I think I'll just double tip when we go. If we don't see them next time, I'll just shave my beard and they'll never recognize me again, lol.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 10-01-2019 at 12:12 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Honestly it's water under the bridge now. If you think karma is out to get you just donate the tip to a charity or something.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it.

They likely won't remember you the next time you go in anyways, unless you're a regular. If you are, then they already know it was a mistake unless you're a notoriously shitty tipper.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I wouldn't go out of my way to the restaurant just to tip. I would however revisit the restaurant to show my patronage. While I'm there, I'd ask for the manager to explain the mishap last time and ask to speak to the server and express my gratitude verbally and with cash.

My Ride
    Model S

Haha. Gratitude for what?