Quantcast
When Is The Best Time of The Year To Buy Tires - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When Is The Best Time of The Year To Buy Tires

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want some cheap chinese studded 225/60/16s for a cheap car, where do I find these? Cant Imagine @tirebob sells em..
    @GTR_Auto .

I've bought 3 times now and happy with all 3.
    I tried calling @tirebob but his phone line is literally busy all day and night

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Yea I am looking for reasonable brand name tires but if there was a season or month that was more prone to better deals or discounts I have some time to bargin shop. I'd love to do business with Bob but its impossible to get ahold of them for anything which as a business is a good problem to have because it means he's at capacity. I have had good experiences with the Okotoks costco and Integra tires on Mcleod that I will probably check out.

Edit: I know Bob always gives priority to the people who show up at his shop face to face, which is great service, just not condusive for those of us who live in the south. Again, not knocking Bob or Urban X as they are obviously doing something right to always be flat out.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 10-04-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I was eyeing those cheap chinese brands like Farroud and Firemax but got too sketched out haha.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I was eyeing those cheap chinese brands like Farroud and Firemax but got too sketched out haha.
    same, especially for the car that my wife drives with our kid. Could've saved over 50% on some Farroads instead of the Pirellis i ended up with but just couldn't do it.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Edit: I know Bob always gives priority to the people who show up at his shop face to face, which is great service, just not condusive for those of us who live in the south. Again, not knocking Bob or Urban X as they are obviously doing something right to always be flat out.
    It's not conducive for anyone that's busy, period. Driving around to get quoted on something in person is preposterous in this day and age.

Note: Bob is great, his service is great, and his pricing is competitive. I've used him and recommended him to other family members who also use him. I just think he needs to hire an admin assistant

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    It's not conducive for anyone that's busy, period. Driving around to get quoted on something in person is preposterous in this day and age.

Note: Bob is great, his service is great, and his pricing is competitive. I've used him and recommended him to other family members who also use him. I just think he needs to hire an admin assistant
    I would agree! My issue is it is only like this for 6 to 8 weeks twice a year and I finding someone who has the knowledge necessary to do what I would need who only wants seasonal work as I can't keep an employee year round for just a 1/4 of a year worth of work. It sounds great to say but it just isn't practical as a person who doesn't know what I know would make my job ever more difficult rather than easier because on top of dealing with the influx of clients I would need to do their work for them so in the end it is easier and more efficient to do it myself.

That said, plans are in the works to do some serious business expansion and if/when it goes through, it will iron out the seasonal aspects of the business allowing me to retain more staff that can cross over work loads freeing up more of my time when needed. Just takes time and money!!!

Name:  IMG_20191004_123806_319.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  34.7 KB
    Last edited by tirebob; 10-04-2019 at 03:01 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I want some cheap chinese studded 225/60/16s for a cheap car, where do I find these? Cant Imagine @tirebob sells em..
    1010tires has Nexen winterguards with studs for 600cad including shipping and taxes to my door (185/60/15 for my fiesta)

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    1010tires has Nexen winterguards with studs for 600cad including shipping and taxes to my door (185/60/15 for my fiesta)
    You can do quite a bit better than Nexen Wingards for that price man...

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Idk they were just asking for the cheapest tires with studs so thought I’d look it up

Its things like this that make it worth it to go to Urban. I'm a total cheap ass too and used to shop around before any purchase but its just not worth it anymore. The Urban guys have always taken care of me before a purchase and most importantly after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Idk they were just asking for the cheapest tires with studs so thought I’d look it up
    Sorry dude... I wasn't meaning that to sound snarky if it came across like that. I was thinking you were intently looking and just wanted to make sure you knew to dig a bit deeper.

PMC and Canadawheels have been cheap when I checked around online. Funny enough locally I use the GMC dealer, they are nearly as cheap, get a set time to come in and out and they offer after sales things like flats, repairs etc. Never thought a dealer would be my best bet, but turns out it was. I usually purchase anywhere from 6-12 complete sets of tires every couple years between company trucks, personal vehicles and others. Online is great for price but you still need to install/mount balance etc, unless you choose that option. We only have a small few dedicated tire shops locally so its different than living in a large city, but I didn't have much luck shopping Calgary or Edmonton for large orders.
    Last edited by Skrilla; 10-04-2019 at 04:47 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Sorry dude... I wasn't meaning that to sound snarky if it came across like that. I was thinking you were intently looking and just wanted to make sure you knew to dig a bit deeper.
    Its all good, I literally just sorted by cheapest studded just for a reference point. Pretty sure last year I got my altimax arctics studded for 400 last year when they had a big sale

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Couple days ago, I called tirebob's NE shop and thankfully got a hold of someone but in the end I ended up ordering my Kumho Wintercraft Wi31's from Canadian Tire.

My head was hurting between getting quotes on the tires, balancing/install, stud labour, and trying to find a place with the availability to do it on a weekend so I wouldn't have to take time off work.

With busy times like this, you can't have it all haha. Hopefully Canadian Tire doesn't bung up a simple job but I was a bit cheesed when they told me they needed to add an extra $40 to the price because they had to bring them in from a US supplier.

At least I get a $40 rebate from Kumho

My Ride
    Grimace

Hopefully Canadian Tire doesn't bung up a simple job
    lol, have I got some bad news for you

My Ride
    V8s

Couple days ago, I called tirebob's NE shop and thankfully got a hold of someone but in the end I ended up ordering my Kumho Wintercraft Wi31's from Canadian Tire.

My head was hurting between getting quotes on the tires, balancing/install, stud labour, and trying to find a place with the availability to do it on a weekend so I wouldn't have to take time off work.

Hopefully Canadian Tire doesn't bung up a simple job
    Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    lol, have I got some bad news for you
    Yeah I've never had good luck at Canadian Tire for anything service related. Haven't been there in ages, but had enough repeatedly shitty experiences that I won't ever go back.

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree! My issue is it is only like this for 6 to 8 weeks twice a year and I finding someone who has the knowledge necessary to do what I would need who only wants seasonal work as I can't keep an employee year round for just a 1/4 of a year worth of work. It sounds great to say but it just isn't practical as a person who doesn't know what I know would make my job ever more difficult rather than easier because on top of dealing with the influx of clients I would need to do their work for them so in the end it is easier and more efficient to do it myself.

That said, plans are in the works to do some serious business expansion and if/when it goes through, it will iron out the seasonal aspects of the business allowing me to retain more staff that can cross over work loads freeing up more of my time when needed. Just takes time and money!!!
    I figured as much haha. Good to hear you're thinking of expansion, hope it works for you

With busy times like this, you can't have it all haha. Hopefully Canadian Tire doesn't bung up a simple job but I was a bit cheesed when they told me they needed to add an extra $40 to the price because they had to bring them in from a US supplier.

At least I get a $40 rebate from Kumho
    I just picked up some duratrac tires for my truck. Went to canadian tire and took advantage of their cash back and 25% off. I've now had the truck in 4 times as they havent been able to properly balance the tires.

I think their good now but what a shit show this has been. Never again. It's the first time I've not bought my tires from Costco but they didnt carry this brand that I needed.

It should be as simple as buy local, buy at Bob's.

I used to get tires through my brother's auto repair shop because family discount (uh huh) but Bob had better prices and it was much quicker in and out the door. Are there cheaper alternatives out there, it appears so but service, a quality product and no worries afterwards means a lot to me. I don't want to deal with cheap or no-name tires and I don't want to deal with them being delivered to my home. I want to drive in, feel like an appreciated customer and drive out in a reasonable amount of time andI also do not need to be coddled with a gourmet coffe or whatever - Bob does this all very well.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    changes every year

I'd like to hear more @tirebob , pm me. . I just checked and my winters are at 3/32 left, however I might not be driving the car very much this winter.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    PMC and Canadawheels have been cheap when I checked around online. Funny enough locally I use the GMC dealer, they are nearly as cheap, get a set time to come in and out and they offer after sales things like flats, repairs etc. Never thought a dealer would be my best bet, but turns out it was. I usually purchase anywhere from 6-12 complete sets of tires every couple years between company trucks, personal vehicles and others. Online is great for price but you still need to install/mount balance etc, unless you choose that option. We only have a small few dedicated tire shops locally so its different than living in a large city, but I didn't have much luck shopping Calgary or Edmonton for large orders.
    For some reason this year is weird. I checked my local dealer and their price for Pirelli Sottozero 3 with OEM wheels was very comparable to local tire shops. They even 'offered' to store my summer wheels for one season and next season swap over for free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2