Quantcast
When Is The Best Time of The Year To Buy Tires - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When Is The Best Time of The Year To Buy Tires

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Default When Is The Best Time of The Year To Buy Tires

My wife's RDX needs a new set of all seasons and I was just wondering if there was a time of the year to try and get the best deal. We will be switching over to her winter tires right away here so I have some time before next spring to pick some up, but if I can save a few more dollars in the mean time I am all ears.

I guess in the same breath, lets have a discussion on the best time to buy winters too. I would assume end of season as they would rather get rid of them than keep inventory but I'm a self proclaimed dummy so I'd like to hear from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

When the big manufacturers start running 4 for 3 promotions or the Michelin $70 off promotion, which is usually May to December. That's usually a good time IMO.

Call LOTS of tire shops for quotes, I have always found pricing to vary pretty wildly for the identical product. Also make sure mount & balance is included in the quotes, some try to hide that from you. Even between the 3 Urban X's in the city, and the 2 of which I have used have been great, I have got very different quotes for the exact same thing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    When the big manufacturers start running 4 for 3 promotions or the Michelin $70 off promotion, which is usually May to December. That's usually a good time IMO.

Call LOTS of tire shops for quotes, I have always found pricing to vary pretty wildly for the identical product. Also make sure mount & balance is included in the quotes, some try to hide that from you. Even between the 3 Urban X's in the city, and the 2 of which I have used have been great, I have got very different quotes for the exact same thing.
    Yep. it's worth calling and emailing around. Check local and internet. I've found good value from UrbanX north, but I always price-check him every time because I'm not a very trusting individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    LNF

I find fall and spring are good times to buy tires...There are always rebates (see below).

Also, I find Canadian tire has lots of promos where they will have 25% off specific tires or brands (usually cooper and good year) and you can stack on top for the rebate and triangle day rewards. Pretty tough to beat these deals. For instance, they had a deal last week, 25% off of good year duratracs plus they had 30 times triangle rewards for tires for 2 days.. Works out to 37% off per tire.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/2019...bates-2310488/

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Also don't be afraid to shop online. 1010tires and tirerack have some really great deals. If you already have the wheels off the vehicle you can find places to do a mount and balance for 60-80$ and it might be cheaper that route.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Canadian tire has certain tires on special right now. I’m considering picking up a spare set for my Duramax because the ones I want are 25% off.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'm about to pick up a set of defenders. going to use them all year. $1381 installed - $70 rebate from Michelin
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 10-03-2019 at 12:19 PM.

My Ride
    VAG products

I just ordered wheels and tires from Canadawheels.ca found it to be the cheapest option for my winter wheel set up.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I just ordered a set of Kumho Wintercraft Wi31 from Canadian Tire. Extra $120 to get them studded and swapped onto my OEM 19".

Came to around $1350.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Call LOTS of tire shops for quotes, I have always found pricing to vary pretty wildly for the identical product. Also make sure mount & balance is included in the quotes, some try to hide that from you.

Of course it varies wildly for identical product. Most if not all shops are pulling from the same local tire distributor/vendor for probably the same price. Some places require 20 points profit on cost, some places require 50 points profit on cost. Dealership pricing would be the worst. In some cases, Costco's pricing on tires is even cheaper with their rebates they offer
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Of course it varies wildly for identical product. Most if not all shops are pulling from the same local tire distributor/vendor for probably the same price. Some places require 20 points profit on cost, some places require 50 points profit on cost. Dealership pricing would be the worst. In some cases, Costco's pricing on tires is even cheaper with their rebates they offer
    What surprised me more was that the same chains had such different prices between locations, as I had assumed things like profit margin requirements would be roughly consistent. Apparently you are correct and that is not the case.

Pricing will vary no doubt. Not every dealer buys tires at the same discounts from the manufacturers/distributors. Like everything, volume and loyalty matters. Also, some shops offer things others don't that need to be considered such as after care as in flat repairs, rotations, rebalancing etc when needed that you do not get when buying tires online or through dealers who do not provide these services. Convenience is another factor. For example, we provide dedicated appointment spots that get you in and out in 30 to 60 minutes while many places is line up and wait. Our way is a bit more expensive because we cannot ram through as many cars in the same time frame, but it is convenient for people who don't have all day to wait around for their car. Also, depending on what kind of car or wheels you use, some places use very low quality cheap equipment that mars wheels and do not do as secure of a job and cannot handle oversize items safely while other use premium touchless equipment and guarantee damage free. All this costs extra money but provide a higher level of service.

Again, there is a place for all of this in the market place and it comes down to what provides you specifically with the best experience for a price you find acceptable. If shopping simply for cheap as possible is most important to you then you can do that. If shopping for an overall experience is most important is important to you, you can do that too. If future after service is valuable to you then you can do that too. Price is important but there are many other aspects the justify consideration, and comparing stores based only on cost of goods is not a fair comparison so make sure you consider it all.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I for sure put a value on the fact that I can get in and out of UrbanExpressions exactly as fast as I expect to. When it's just a changeover, I don't think I've ever been more than 60 minutes, and usually just 30. Compared to the all-day gongshow you'd have at a place like Costco . . . .shudder . . . .
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Recently purchased two complete sets from Costco within the last two months (one for our vehicle, the other for my mother in law), two different promos. One was i think a $120 costco gift card off a set of 4 pirellis, and the other was $70 gift card + $0.01/tire install for a set of bridgestones (total $150 value). Even without the promos, cost was at least $150-300 cheaper than all of the places i called around to.

The booking process is not bad either these days. Order online, they call you when they arrive, then you book an appt. Was in and out within 1.5 hours both times. I doubt they will do any promos now that winter tire season is coming up, but during July-Aug, i feel like Costco had a promo almost every week for each of the big brands. I definitely saw Michelin, Pirelli, and Bridgestone.

My Ride
    changes every year

I want some cheap chinese studded 225/60/16s for a cheap car, where do I find these? Cant Imagine @tirebob sells em..

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I want some cheap chinese studded 225/60/16s for a cheap car, where do I find these? Cant Imagine @tirebob sells em..
    for chinese, check these guys:
    http://www.gooddealtire.ca/

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    for chinese, check these guys:
    http://www.gooddealtire.ca/
    No studded unfortunately

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bob has access to several price levels. He's worth a call.

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Check out quattrotires.com

My Ride
    *The First*

I don't think there's really a "time of year" because I've never noticed that winter tires get blown out in spring or summer tires in autumn.
    I watched for the Costco deals on Bridgestone and got a new set for whatever the almost always "$70-80 cash card discount" thing is, plus also got the 1¢ install which is apparently another $80 savings since there seems to be no end to what a person will pay to have tires put onto rims and balanced. This was only 3 weeks ago.
    I'm new here, but many folks on this car~ish forum do talk up the TireBob guy, so maybe that's worth a look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast