Quantcast
What value does a realtor add? (split) - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What value does a realtor add? (split)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is a portion of my rant on Realtors. (And screw off if you start reading this thinking I'm saying "all Realtors = bad").
    It's too easy to become a realtor and it attracts the wrong kind of lazy people who think they can #MakeMoneyFromHome which leads to WAY too many Realtors overall which their association shouldn't allow because it's too hard for that number of them to make a living at it.
    Aside from word of mouth, there's no good way to pick a realtor and no one has that option when moving to a new city they've never lived in. So there are signs on buses and billboards and hot females who scrape by selling only a few houses a year because many people can't weed out the lazy, part timers.

There's a fundamental dichotomy in saying "I'm the best listing agent because I can sell your house for the most money" when your other brochure says "I'm the best buying agent because I can bargain you into a house below market value". Plus, their fee is a % of the selling price so it's also tough to argue any of them want to see houses selling well under listed prices.

Here's where many many of them really get greasy... They undervalue houses to make quick sales which makes them appear like marketing geniuses when all they really did was give your house away. That's stealing from clients and it needs to stop but it won't because they are rewarded for it. That quick sale only cost the realtor a few hundred bucks from their overall commission but now they can brag "I am expert cuz I sell your house in average <7 days!!!" No shit you did! I can sell my Volk TE37's for $1,000 cash money in 10 minutes if I wanted to. It doesn't make me a gifted seller, it makes me an idiot for leaving money on the table. But... If the money I'm leaving on the table wasn't mine - I am motivated to care a lot less.

Three of these "esteemed professionals" tried to list the last house I sold. Each told me it was worth $30k-$50k less than what I wanted (and knew) it would sell for. I used a friend who had a realty license. He charged me less than half the standard fee and my house sold for more than 15% higher than the three other "esteemed professionals" said they would list it for. Three of them tried to get me to walk away from tens of thousands of dollars. My house also sold within the average selling time period. I didn't need to sell it in a 48hr bidding war to pay back a loan shark before he cut off my fingers. It sold in less than 90 days and in the winter.

So the industry really needs to clean itself up and their professional association needs to take a lot of this blame. I'm glad there are excellent Realtors but there are far too many predators and instead of the association dealing with it, they are trying to cling to their Golden Goose while new undercutting vultures are moving in to correct their market share.

*AGAIN - no hurt feelings reports needed from any Realtors in this board. I'm not painting YOU with this brush. I don't know any of you but I sure remember who tried to screw me and I refused to lay down and take it. I'm tens of thousands "richer" now for it.
    Realtors list the house for what you want to sell it for. They can give you advice, but you don't have to follow it.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Realtors list the house for what you want to sell it for. They can give you advice, but you don't have to follow it.
    False. You can't force a realtor to list your house for One Hundred BILLION Dollars just because you're crazy. Similarly, they may also choose to not list your house unless you're willing to list it for well below market value.

Just ask Pćul Blćis who said, and I directly quote,
    "Hey - the last thing I need is more listings just sitting on the market."
    I felt so incredibly guilty for wasting his precious time!! I don't know what made me think a realtor who advertises heavily would've been interested in receiving money in exchange for services pertaining to the sale of my house. That was my bad.

I'm sure no one's putting their house up for a billion dollars. Derp.

But houses come up for sale all the time that are clearly overpriced. Because their house is a special snowflake.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Well said, Mighter. The actual accountability in the real estate industry is fucking abysmal.

When it comes to a majority of Realtors, their overall commission supercedes your best interest at the end of the day. An easy check on that...look at how many houses listed over 500K don't have professional photos, or even good ones. Comes down to good ol' greed.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

gwill you must have had one really horrible experience or you are talking out of your ass a bit because most of the stuff you are claiming is absolutely not represented by any realtor I've worked with. I've seen deals go bad on undisclosed issues, etc etc and the Realtor has been there leading the charge in what to do and how to get through it. It's part of the job. I've seen others on the other side of the issue absolutely held accountable legally and financially (through their insurance).

None of the stuff you are spouting is typical of the industry that I know as a consumer and client. Maybe that's just because I did my research and picked a very good agent from the start who's an actual professional. So even if my experiences are the minority not the majority, that's still on the people who choose the shitty agents.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

gwill does seem to have a very strong outrage muscle.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    gwill you must have had one really horrible experience or you are talking out of your ass a bit because most of the stuff you are claiming is absolutely not represented by any realtor I've worked with. I've seen deals go bad on undisclosed issues, etc etc and the Realtor has been there leading the charge in what to do and how to get through it. It's part of the job. I've seen others on the other side of the issue absolutely held accountable legally and financially (through their insurance).

None of the stuff you are spouting is typical of the industry that I know as a consumer and client. Maybe that's just because I did my research and picked a very good agent from the start who's an actual professional. So even if my experiences are the minority not the majority, that's still on the people who choose the shitty agents.
    I get that realtors are a necessary evil. It is unfortunate I've worked with so many useless realtors before. In one of the greasiest cases i had a realtor hold his clients mortgage hostage unless my company paid him. The guy lived 800 km away, never intended to help his clients find a home in another city but decided we had to pay him.

Those buyers had us increase their mortgage so this "realtor" would get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Well said, Mighter. The actual accountability in the real estate industry is fucking abysmal.

When it comes to a majority of Realtors, their overall commission supercedes your best interest at the end of the day. An easy check on that...look at how many houses listed over 500K don't have professional photos, or even good ones. Comes down to good ol' greed.
    Even if you look over $1M, it's shocking how many have what look like flip-phone photos with the realtor's reflection in every mirror. I used to contact the listing realtors for these properties in the nicest way possible to see if they might be interested in professional photos (I went as far as offering my services for free if they weren't satisfied), and 9/10 of them took offense and told me to get lost because their photos were fine. In those cases, it was cheaper for them to tell the client to drop the price than spend $200 on photos I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Even if you look over $1M, it's shocking how many have what look like flip-phone photos with the realtor's reflection in every mirror. I used to contact the listing realtors for these properties in the nicest way possible to see if they might be interested in professional photos (I went as far as offering my services for free if they weren't satisfied), and 9/10 of them took offense and told me to get lost because their photos were fine. In those cases, it was cheaper for them to tell the client to drop the price than spend $200 on photos I guess.
    Why don't you contact the sellers? Realtors aren't going to do anything unless the seller says so.

My Ride
    G05

lol.... come on the view sells this house

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...lgary-mahogany

but totally agree. Good pictures sell the house.

Why don't you contact the sellers? Realtors aren't going to do anything unless the seller says so.
    Is that even possible without physically going to the houses and harassing people in person? I didn't think you could get any seller info from a listing but I could be wrong. I imagine that would also piss the realtor off (going around them), so they probably wouldn't use me anyway even if the client did push for photos.

At the time at least, my assumption was that the realtors would have the client's best interest in mind and they had nothing to lose if they weren't happy (free if not satisfied), but I was definitely wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post

Haha wow. They didn't even de-clutter. You can tell that house would look amazing with Twilight photos with all those big windows.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post

Haha wow. They didn't even de-clutter. You can tell that house would look amazing with Twilight photos with all those big windows.
    Million dollar house staged with Ikea patio furniture

My Ride
    2011 5.0 FX4

We've sold 2 houses using comfree. We figured it was us taking on all the staging, house cleaning, getting the kids and animals out for viewings why should we pay someone a crazy sum of money to get us on mls. The first house sold without any realtors being present all paperwork was filed and viewed by our lawyer to ensure it was accurate and the house sold in just over 40 days. The second house was sold during 2015 with the other side using a realtor. She was professional and respected us in that we knew how the process worked and we were able to reach an agreement. Some of the realtors that would come through were professional and respectful, some of them were not. All in all we would probably always lean to selling it our selves as it is a way to keep thousands in our pocket not in someone else's.

Is that even possible without physically going to the houses and harassing people in person? I didn't think you could get any seller info from a listing but I could be wrong. I imagine that would also piss the realtor off (going around them), so they probably wouldn't use me anyway even if the client did push for photos.

At the time at least, my assumption was that the realtors would have the client's best interest in mind and they had nothing to lose if they weren't happy (free if not satisfied), but I was definitely wrong there.
    Find realtor friend.

Get properties DOM > 30.

Visit them and offer your services.

Also do you have proof that your service actually helps? Like less DOM or higher selling price with your pretty pictures?

Find realtor friend.

Get properties DOM > 30.

Visit them and offer your services.

Also do you have proof that your service actually helps? Like less DOM or higher selling price with your pretty pictures?
    Nope - I am not sure how that would be possible without a parallel universe haha. Every home sale is unique so it would be extremely difficult to really prove anything like that, however I think it's widely accepted that good photos give you more traffic, which is all you can really ask for at the end of the day. With most people looking at houses online, and with so much supply, you'll at least get a look if you have decent photos. I wouldn't think good photos increase the sale price too much, because they always make houses look better than they are, so once the potential buyers are in the home, you are done fooling them haha. My view has always been that more showings = faster sale, but I am not sure if it would necessarily translate to a higher price unless that traffic increase was the catalyst for a bidding war or something.

I do have a realtor that I work with most of the time, at the moment she provides me with most of the business I want, but a while ago when I had more time on my hands is when I was approaching realtors with the above mentioned success (or lack of).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-07-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Well you're always going be fighting an uphill battle if you can't actually prove that your service makes a difference. You don't even have testimonials?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

For those interested, check out Freakonomics (the documentary on Netflix, or even the book). They have a portion dedicated to how Realtors in the current systems are not really incentivized to help the owners sell above market value. The sensitivity on every $10k increment increase or decrease makes little effect on their commissions, as the base commission is so high already. Any incremental effort to get more money for the seller, doesn't yield the same effect on their commissions. Realtors are generally more interested in cash-flow, as your $10k drop in price, only means $150 less for them

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Nope - I am not sure how that would be possible without a parallel universe haha. Every home sale is unique so it would be extremely difficult to really prove anything like that, however I think it's widely accepted that good photos give you more traffic, which is all you can really ask for at the end of the day. With most people looking at houses online, and with so much supply, you'll at least get a look if you have decent photos. I wouldn't think good photos increase the sale price too much, because they always make houses look better than they are, so once the potential buyers are in the home, you are done fooling them haha. My view has always been that more showings = faster sale, but I am not sure if it would necessarily translate to a higher price unless that traffic increase was the catalyst for a bidding war or something.

I do have a realtor that I work with most of the time, at the moment she provides me with most of the business I want, but a while ago when I had more time on my hands is when I was approaching realtors with the above mentioned success (or lack of).
    Good photos help traffic but my main desire would be for every listing to have a floor plan

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Good photos help traffic but my main desire would be for every listing to have a floor plan
    Yeah, a to-scale floor plan would be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast