Quantcast
need help to get rid of fruit fly, as after I sealed the windows, no difference - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help to get rid of fruit fly, as after I sealed the windows, no difference

Default need help to get rid of fruit fly, as after I sealed the windows, no difference

I have a fruit fly problem. I just spent 2 hr. sealed the front windows in my family room. There is no difference. I don't know how they got in. I sealed the gaps.

is there anyone else out there has the same problem, that they are all over your windows? These fruit fly are primarily at the front windows near the front entrance, in my family room windows. There is a few at the kitchen, but no big deal.

So I went to home depot and use silicion seal to seal the entire windows. There is no difference. After I seal it, they appear almost immediately. The only thing I can think of at this point is to get some sort of spray that can discourage them to stay at my house. Perhaps I can spray on the outside

any idea, anyone in the same boat?

My Ride
    *The First*

Pour a few ounces of beer on a flat plate. They will FLOCK to it and drown.
    Problem solved.

Apple cider vinegar in a cup, fill it up 1/5th of the way.
    Cover with cling wrap.
    Poke a bunch of holes.

There will be a genocide of fruit flies.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fruit fly traps work and are cheap. Available at hardware stores, Wal mart, Lee valley, Amazon, Super common.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Is it actually a fruit fly or a fungus gnat?

would sugar mix w/ a small cup of water works w/ holes on a saran wrap works?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

if it has a little bit of orange on it then its a fruit fly if its black its a fungas gnat. The fungus gnats dont give a fuck about sugar/water or vinegar/soap traps.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post
    would sugar mix w/ a small cup of water works w/ holes on a saran wrap works?
    they are attracted to the fermentation by-products

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

So I went to home depot and use silicion seal to seal the entire windows. There is no difference. After I seal it, they appear almost immediately. The only thing I can think of at this point is to get some sort of spray that can discourage them to stay at my house. Perhaps I can spray on the outside

any idea, anyone in the same boat?
    Fruit flies don't come from the outside, in, like house flies. Their eggs are on fruit/plants that you bring into the house from the store. Sealing your windows won't do anything. You just have to keep the aforementioned traps going until they are all gone, and don't let any of your fruit get too ripe in the process, or they'll start laying more eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Geo View Post
    Apple cider vinegar in a cup, fill it up 1/5th of the way.
    Cover with cling wrap.
    Poke a bunch of holes.

There will be a genocide of fruit flies.
    This right here...also doesn't hurt if you have a couple of berries to toss in there as well. We've used a mason jar just so it looks a little more like part of the kitchen decor.

Also poor boiling water down your kitchen drain, tends to be a spot they will take to.

okay, I use apple cider vinegar then

I vacuum them, and w/i seconds, they show up again.

I can't see what fruit I got that has the fruit fly in it. All I got on the kitchen is banana. And I notice they were here about few weeks ago, and there is nothing really on the kitchen. As orange and blackberry are the only other fruit, and they are in the fridge

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

They are definetly coming with the bananas.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    They are definetly coming with the bananas.
    This!! And they made my bananas ripen/spoil way too fast before I could eat them too.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I had this issue last year. The bastards kept coming back. It was a watermelon I bought.

1. Do the apple cider vinegar trap method with a jar and cling film. That will trap flies that hatch.

But you have to kill the eggs.
    2. Clear all your surfaces (mine were the kitchen and bathroom)and clean down with borax.
    3. At night pour bleach down the sink, in the kitchen and bathrooms. Leave this overnight(& clean the toilet bowl too). They are attracted to the moisture.

This worked. Any remaining flies got caught in the jar traps.
    Last edited by tonytiger55; 10-06-2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Grammer

so you guys are sure there is a nest in my house? because there is some bit amt. of fruit fly in the kitchen. But nowhere nearly as much as the ones in the family room. Like 4:1 ratio. But I have no fruit in the living room, no furniture, no table, no chair. Just play tunnel x 2 for my pets. So the majority is in the living room. I'll put some bleach in the sink tonight

the apple ciger vinegar has only 3 fruit fly inside. A dozen at the bottom of the cup. But hundreds more stick to the top of the windows.

Overall, the fruit fly situation is unchanged. 99% of them is at the front windows of the living room. I have Celfort 300 to seal the windows at night time. So some did die the next morning, frozen by ice on the windows. But there is still hundreds of them at the front windows.

There is no fruit in the living room where the front windows are. There is only 4 banana in the kitchen, and there is only a few fruit fly in the kitchen. So it's not any fruit in the kitchen. I have no other fruit. Orange and catalope is in the fridge. Every 2 wk. I have pineapple for pizza, and that's in the fridge since this week.

I suspect the fruit fly is attracted by the tree at the front deck, in which the short tree has some small fruit on it. The sparrows sometimes eat the fruit as well. As long as there is no nest in my house, there is nothing I can do.

My living room has no furniture. Just the bunny castle and 2 bunny tunnel. If there were a nest, I would have easily see it.

I am genuinely curious as to what a fruit fly nest looks like, could you post a picture of what you're looking for?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Buy several packs of the traps, put them around the house. One dish of vinegar isn't going to do enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

If they prefer windows over bananas, they are not fruit flies.
    Figure out what they are. Take closeup pictures and compare with Google images of fungus gnats, no-see-ems, aphids, etc.
    Flat plate of beer will still almost certainly work.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

We just had an influx of fruit flies in our house on the weekend, the apple vinegar cider is doing a great job although there really aren't many in the traps after 3 days (maybe 15), but we don't see them on the windows or walls anymore so we're pleased with the results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast