Quantcast
Peanut Allergy and Work - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Peanut Allergy and Work

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,391
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Complaining about this is a surefire way to end company sponsored lunches. Tell your friend to not make waves
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Im the one with a learning disability....

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,150
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is your friend voting Liberal or NDP?
    Considering the NDP’s healthcare platform, I am going to guess its them.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    100% Bow tie
    Posts
    2,653
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    What does HSE stand for? I've been out of the corporate world for 12 years now and don't recall such an acronym.
    Moran supreme

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does HSE stand for? I've been out of the corporate world for 12 years now and don't recall such an acronym.
    Health, Safety & Environment

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,740
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    People WAY WAY WAY overstate the severity of their allergies.

    "If I eat peanuts, I'm dead!"

    "If I eat shellfish, I will die!"

    In the united states last year, according to the FDA, only 150 people die of food allergies per year. That's nothing.

    But I'm supposed to believe that the dude at work is somehow the food allergy lottery winner?

    I think people get an allergy reaction, and THINK that they are dying...but they're not. Incidentally the number of people dying by food allergy per year is always about the same, but the number of people going to emergency for food allergies is skyrocketing. Basically people are being led to believe they have some severe allergy - I presume because of media or just because people believe stuff.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People WAY WAY WAY overstate the severity of their allergies.

    "If I eat peanuts, I'm dead!"

    "If I eat shellfish, I will die!"

    In the united states last year, according to the FDA, only 150 people die of food allergies per year. That's nothing.

    But I'm supposed to believe that the dude at work is somehow the food allergy lottery winner?

    I think people get an allergy reaction, and THINK that they are dying...but they're not. Incidentally the number of people dying by food allergy per year is always about the same, but the number of people going to emergency for food allergies is skyrocketing. Basically people are being led to believe they have some severe allergy - I presume because of media or just because people believe stuff.
    Not sure what he is voting but I think you're misunderstanding the post. It's just to show that even when you take the steps to make sure there are no allegens in your food then best choice is just don't trust it and pack a lunch. Who's talking about a lottery winner here? its a live and learn situation.

    I can't speak on other peoples allergies but for him its full anflax shock which can lead to death if left untreated and some people just get itchy skin or nothing life threatening. Just an awareness thread, relax.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '14 Taco
    Posts
    536
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    even when you take the steps to make sure there are no allegens in your food then best choice is just don't trust it and pack a lunch. .
    I don't think that telling reception that you have a peanut allergy counts as really taking steps to 'make sure'. Maybe they specifically said 'No peanuts', and then the restaurant didn't think it was a problem to have Cashews.. Question, what was the theme of the food? Chinese? Thai? Seems like a bad idea regardless

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This!!!

    When meals are provided, companies are accommodating as they can. In my experience, it's usually a gluten or non gluten option. When doing bulk food orders, they usually can't accommodate everyone's preference. It's either eat or don't. Your buddy fucked up and is still living in elementary school. HSE won't care because it's your buddy should have known better. We're suppose to be functioning adults here.
    agreed, best way is not to eat lesson learned. It's funny cause he was explaining ot me that someone burned their hand on coffee and they made it into a big safety moment company wide. A little excessive i thought..

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that telling reception that you have a peanut allergy counts as really taking steps to 'make sure'. Maybe they specifically said 'No peanuts', and then the restaurant didn't think it was a problem to have Cashews.. Question, what was the theme of the food? Chinese? Thai? Seems like a bad idea regardless
    Not sure of how it was communicated to be honest but there are a few people that work with him that have nut allergies. There is no way to be sure but to just avoid food that is not made by someones self. I believe it was Indian food cause there was curry chicken, naan bread etc.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '14 Taco
    Posts
    536
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is no way to be sure but to just avoid food that is not made by someones self.
    Sounds like what i'd be doing if something could kill me.... Celebration or not. Ton's of cashew use in indian food

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Honda E Toaster
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    - - - Updated - - -



    Just sayin

    I thought about this bit when I read the OP
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

    1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current


    FALL CLEAR OUT FURNITURE SALE! **clicky**

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    IAH bar
    My Ride
    UA6295 seat 22A
    Posts
    6,327
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    So if you have a serious allergy, don't ever eat the food in the workplace. But in the travel thread, we told someone that travelling to Thailand was an OK idea? Seems ass-backwards.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '14 Taco
    Posts
    536
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if you have a serious allergy, don't ever eat the food in the workplace. But in the travel thread, we told someone that travelling to Thailand was an OK idea? Seems ass-backwards.
    if you are deathly allergic..travel all you want, but id still be making my own food

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,740
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure what he is voting but I think you're misunderstanding the post. It's just to show that even when you take the steps to make sure there are no allegens in your food then best choice is just don't trust it and pack a lunch. Who's talking about a lottery winner here? its a live and learn situation.

    I can't speak on other peoples allergies but for him its full anflax shock which can lead to death if left untreated and some people just get itchy skin or nothing life threatening. Just an awareness thread, relax.
    That's my point...everyone thinks their allergy is some sort of life threatening situation. It's just catastrophizing. About the same number of people die from falling coconuts in the US every year as die of allergic reactions. So, it's statistically extraordinarily unlikely that someones impression of their "life threatening allergy" is actually life threatening. People also die of hemorrhagic heartburn at a somewhat similar rate. But if someone told you that their franks hot sauce was life threatening, you'd mock them.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,150
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if you are deathly allergic..travel all you want, but id still be making my own food
    This.

    And carry a god damn epi pen at all times.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Medicine Hat/Calgary
    My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford
    Posts
    366
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I totally believe it should be up to the person with the allergy to be responsible for themselves. I'm not allergic but absolutely hate onions and go to extreme lengths to make sure no onions where used or i simply just don't eat it.

    That being said I think its not a horrible idea to treat epi pens more like fire extinguishers or AEDs and make them more readily available in public places. Lots of people out there with heart conditions that don't need to lug around an AED with them everywhere because most public buildings, malls, schools, and emergency personal have them available. If you made the restaurant responsible for the epi pen they might be more diligent when it comes to allergy orders if they have to bear the cost to replace the pen after an incident.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hilariously on topic:

    My old company used to do a birthday celebration every month for all the people born in that month. Cake or cupcakes or someting delicious anyways. Nothing crazy just agther in the boardroom and bullshit and eat some delicious desserts.

    Then one lady went all allergy on dairy or gluten or something and an email went out to come join the dairy free/gluten free celebration or whatever because HR didn't want to exclude anyone.

    Well no one went and that ended a fun monthly tradition.

    I hated that place.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    4,269
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hilariously on topic:

    My old company used to do a birthday celebration every month for all the people born in that month. Cake or cupcakes or someting delicious anyways. Nothing crazy just agther in the boardroom and bullshit and eat some delicious desserts.

    Then one lady went all allergy on dairy or gluten or something and an email went out to come join the dairy free/gluten free celebration or whatever because HR didn't want to exclude anyone.

    Well no one went and that ended a fun monthly tradition.

    I hated that place.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Complaining about this is a surefire way to end company sponsored lunches. Tell your friend to not make waves
    Hate to say it, but making a stink with HR is only going to go this way.

    Lunches etc. are a bonus that is supplied not an entitlement, if your friend wants to mention the allergy before a meal and roll the dice that their call but if they are massively allergic to something like you exclaimed sounds like they should be packing their food 7 days a week and eat that. If I was that massively allergic I wouldn’t trust the person serving me in the +15 to ensure a popular condiment isn’t in my food.

    Anyhow it was a shitty situation, but making a stink about it is just going to ruin things for everyone.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hate to say it, but making a stink with HR is only going to go this way.

    Lunches etc. are a bonus that is supplied not an entitlement, if your friend wants to mention the allergy before a meal and roll the dice that their call but if they are massively allergic to something like you exclaimed sounds like they should be packing their food 7 days a week and eat that. If I was that massively allergic I wouldn’t trust the person serving me in the +15 to ensure a popular condiment isn’t in my food.

    Anyhow it was a shitty situation, but making a stink about it is just going to ruin things for everyone.
    oh yea he's not going to make a stink about it, he just thought it was funny that someone burns their hand from a coffee mug and a massive Health and Safety thing gets circulated but someone has a bad allergy and there is no speak of it.

    I think he's just never going to eat a catered lunch regardless , its just not worth the risk. It has me contemplating going to Thailand cause even if you say no nuts, they still might have some.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    Trucks and junk
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It has me contemplating going to Thailand cause even if you say no nuts, they still might have some.
    And that's the women.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1992 GMC C2500 454
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    Posts
    789
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People WAY WAY WAY overstate the severity of their allergies.

    "If I eat peanuts, I'm dead!"

    "If I eat shellfish, I will die!"

    In the united states last year, according to the FDA, only 150 people die of food allergies per year. That's nothing.

    But I'm supposed to believe that the dude at work is somehow the food allergy lottery winner?

    I think people get an allergy reaction, and THINK that they are dying...but they're not. Incidentally the number of people dying by food allergy per year is always about the same, but the number of people going to emergency for food allergies is skyrocketing. Basically people are being led to believe they have some severe allergy - I presume because of media or just because people believe stuff.

    Yea...no.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Peanut Butter that isn't peanut butter.

    By ZenOps in forum Food and Dining
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 06-14-2012, 10:42 PM
  2. Peanut allergy buffer zones on airlines

    By can't hide in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 41
    Latest Threads: 03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
  3. For anyone with severe nasal and allergy problems

    By 89coupe in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 21
    Latest Threads: 02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
  4. Nut Allergy Question

    By msommers in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM
  5. Supplement Allergy?

    By kaput in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 13
    Latest Threads: 02-04-2006, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •