Quantcast
Saudi Arabia. Riyadh - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Saudi Arabia. Riyadh

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

As a former judeo-christian, I can also find things in the bible that are deplorable (eg. how to kill your enemies babies) and reprehensible (women should be silent in church).

However, most churchy North Americans just selectively take out of the bible what they want and ignore the rest - we call these 'moderates'.

I suspect most religions are the same - you have the nutty fundamentalists and then the moderates who integrate the concepts more loosely into modern life/society.

Religion needs to be relegated to the back burner of all societies. My sky god cannot be better than your sky god.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

My sky god cannot be better than your sky god.
    Well, I'm glad you can at least admit my sky god is better than yours.

Seriously though, religion will always exist, and always be highly influencial. It's how weak men control others, to become powerful men.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    If I had a sky god, he wouldn't care or be offended. !

As a former judeo-christian, I can also find things in the bible that are deplorable (eg. how to kill your enemies babies) and reprehensible (women should be silent in church).

However, most churchy North Americans just selectively take out of the bible what they want and ignore the rest - we call these 'moderates'.

I suspect most religions are the same - you have the nutty fundamentalists and then the moderates who integrate the concepts more loosely into modern life/society.

Religion needs to be relegated to the back burner of all societies. My sky god cannot be better than your sky god.

Bible is Based on stories from history. Koran is the manual of how to live and actual words from their God. The Christians have a perfect example to follow that Jesus didn't sin, while Muslim's prophet induldged in all kinds of evil, and he is considered Pefect. That is the main difference. Also, to get out of Islam means one should be killed. Other religions don't have this same law. You are free to come and go as you wish.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SportEL View Post
    Bible is Based on stories from history. Koran is the manual of how to live and actual words from their God. The Christians have a perfect example to follow that Jesus didn't sin, while Muslim's prophet induldged in all kinds of evil, and he is considered Pefect. That is the main difference. Also, to get out of Islam means one should be killed. Other religions don't have this same law. You are free to come and go as you wish.
    I can definitely tell you that the old testament, which is still part of the christian bible, tells people how to live (book of numbers/deuteronomy) and that their 'warrior' god of the time was great at helping the Israelite's massacre their enemies.

Haha, we are trying to argue about which religion is WORSE than the other..... usually its the other way around!!

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Seriously though, religion will always exist, and always be highly influencial. It's how weak men control others, to become powerful men.
    I agree with this, but not on the level we see today. I don't think it will have the same influence anymore either. I think the only religious folk left in 200 years will be the ultra-radical groups.

Most of the Catholics I've grown up with have moved away from Catholicism and into Atheism/Agnosticism. I think it's great to see people realizing they don't need religion to have a good set of morals or as a crutch to seek hope in their lives. At one point in my life, as I was burying my father in a catholic ceremony, I legitimately thought that I wasn't going to see him in the afterlife because I wasn't baptized and didn't follow the religion. Fuck was I dumb, and fuck is religion dumb for brainwashing people to that point.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yuu know what's interesting, I think I only know one real Athiest. He's hilarious, because he actually enjoys talking about religion and the merits of various beliefs. Most, including myself are pretty agnostic. Maybe that's become the default (lazy) position? To be a true athiest, you need to have put some real thought into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Lariat

The most important thing I see affecting religion is wealth. If you're from a poor middle eastern country with no possessions, at least you can have religion. Religion does not require money or possessions, only faith. And when you have less, I feel like you are more likely to cling on to religion. I have even seen people here who have less now than they did before, who have turned to religion.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    The most important thing I see affecting religion is wealth. If you're from a poor middle eastern country with no possessions, at least you can have religion. Religion does not require money or possessions, only faith. And when you have less, I feel like you are more likely to cling on to religion. I have even seen people here who have less now than they did before, who have turned to religion.
    There has always been a really high reverse correlation to religion and wealth/education for the reasons that you state. And many of the really wealthy religious folks use it for money laundering and tax shelters haha (like all the celebs in Scientology). You also have pastors in the US flying around in private jets, and I would bet my last dollar that those people don't even believe in the religion that they use to make them so rich, but they put on a hell of a show.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yuu know what's interesting, I think I only know one real Athiest. He's hilarious, because he actually enjoys talking about religion and the merits of various beliefs. Most, including myself are pretty agnostic. Maybe that's become the default (lazy) position? To be a true athiest, you need to have put some real thought into it.
    I love the Atheists that go to gatherings of other Atheists. Like, WtF do you even DO there??! Actively concentrate on NOT believing in anything?!? LoL! Isn't half the reason to be Atheist is because you hate getting dressed up to go to a magic building once a week??! You're totally fucking that up, Man! None of the Heaven benefits and all the detriments of dragging your ass to church!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I think she will be fine. I think many people who posted here saying they would rather go to North Korea or wouldn't do it for $250,000...probably never left Alberta or North America in general. I travel all the time and to many different countries, respect their customs, be open minded, know your surroundings and you will be just fine. 3-4 days isn't much to do anything stupid, especially if you actually have to do work while there. Granted I have never been to Saudi Arabia, I wouldn't hesitate to go and actually do want to go.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Are you a woman? Slight, but significant difference.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    respect their customs, be open minded,
    This is the problem for many entitled North Americans when they travel. They think they are superior and that their customs are correct.

My rule for traveling has ALWAYS been, when in Rome..... shut the fuck up and dont stand out.

I can definitely tell you that the old testament, which is still part of the christian bible, tells people how to live (book of numbers/deuteronomy) and that their 'warrior' god of the time was great at helping the Israelite's massacre their enemies.

Haha, we are trying to argue about which religion is WORSE than the other..... usually its the other way around!!
    Again, that is recounting of History. Those people don't even exist anymore. By the way, Christians follow the New Testament and the teachings of their sinless God Christ. This is in contrast the Koran which is the words of their God telling people how to hate, rape, and murder Kafirs/Infidels as that is the best example of being an evil psycho. It's okay though because non-Muslims are not even considered human, but "worst of creatures", transformed apes and pigs. Heck they even describe Satan as a Black man.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Are you a woman? Slight, but significant difference.
    I'm not, but same shit, follow their laws, cover up, and you will be fine. I would be more concerned as a woman going to India than Saudi Arabia. Hell if you are so concerned, do the whole head covering like the rest of them, no one will even know that you aren't local. Don't talk to strangers and you are golden.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Timely article by the bbc:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50013068
    TBH, sounds like a cool country. Hope your wife has a grand time.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Well she flies out this Tuesday for a week.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Don't listen to all the fearmongering in here. I'm actually wanting to visit Saudi now that they're granting tourist visas.

Basic things she'll probably be told by her chaperones. Best to keep her head covered and travel with others.

Depending on their accommodation she may need to be prepared for squat toilets. They typically use a bidet hose there so she'll want to have her own toilet paper and possibly little bags to put it in until she can find a trash can. Because people use their left hands to wipe their arses everything, particularly eating, shaking hands, etc. is best done with right hands. I'm not usually a fan of using hand sanitizer but she'll want to use some after shaking hands (not in front of the person obvs) and before eating.

She'll want to stick to mineral water and it's quite possible she'll have some stomach issues due to the food. Best to avoid salads and raw vegetables and go for the fried or stewed stuff.

Learning a few basic Arabic phrases will be helpful - Salaam Alaykuum is the greeting equivalent to "hello" and the reponse is Alaykuum Salaam. Thank you is "Shukran". I'm sure generally she'll be taken care of.

She should be very conservative in her actions and speaking. No public affection of any kind with men though holding hands with ladies should be fine. Probably best for her to always go out with someone else and if it's just her and a guy to even claim he's her brother or uncle or cousin or some shit.

She should be careful not to bring any magazines or other materials that could be seen as obscene - that includes political stuff and things as simple as cleavage in a perfume ad. Likewise for watching movies - even a basic Rom Com can been seen as too much so she should keep it private.

Otherwise, I'm sure it will be an enjoyable adventure. I remembering being surprised that there was a Tim Hortons in the Jeddah Airport - she may even find a taste of home in Riyadh...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Don't listen to all the fearmongering in here. I'm actually wanting to visit Saudi now that they're granting tourist visas.
    They are promoting the heck of this right now and I assume they will hold back the crazies to make sure tourism industry takes off.

So while I have some reservation in visiting it, now is probably the best time to since the government is probably micro managing everything to sure there is no bad press.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast