Quantcast
Saudi Arabia. Riyadh - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Saudi Arabia. Riyadh

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are promoting the heck of this right now and I assume they will hold back the crazies to make sure tourism industry takes off.

So while I have some reservation in visiting it, now is probably the best time to since the government is probably micro managing everything to sure there is no bad press.
    I wouldn't put money on that. They're not very adjusted to Western tourists and I don't expect they'll be able to conduct the necessary training to get hotels and sites up to spec in the short term. I know of people in Dubai involved in trying to set-up the resorts and hotels and the government is pushing an unattainable schedule. I expect it will be a couple more years until it's really worth visiting unless you have the cash to toss around to pay for a private driver or tour and are willing to pay for the best of the best hotels and only want to visit a couple limited sites.

So my wife is safely in Riyadh. Says she hasn't seen another caucasian woman and has seen anyone with blonde hair - she's got very blonde hair and said she's getting noticed by locals, men and women alike. Said it was a bit disconcerting.

They inspected their exhibition space, huge building like the Roundup Centre, said it had at least 200 air conditioners each the size of her SUV and all were wall mounted.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Hope her trip is safe and enjoyable.

Godspeedog.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Hope her trip is safe and enjoyable.

Godspeedog.
    ^
    x2

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Seems like this same crowd might know the answer to this : a coworker of mine may need to go to Iraq for some meetings, what are the visa requirements?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Seems like this same crowd might know the answer to this : a coworker of mine may need to go to Iraq for some meetings, what are the visa requirements?
    Depends where they're going. Erbil is voa last I checked. Check travel.gc.ca as a starting point.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Tried to look it up, but all I got was Voice of America, and I don't think you mean that. What's VOA? I really hope I don't get roped into any of those trips. Sounds like someone from the company will be hitting Oman, Dubai, Saudi and Iraq in the next six months. Wouldn't mind visiting for a fun trip, but short business trips sounds awful.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Air conditioners almost as far as one can see...

Name:  Resized_20191018_171222_5807.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  27.0 KB

She also says there's no lack of meat on the menu, lamb, beef and chicken. All tastes good, lots of lentils too.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Tried to look it up, but all I got was Voice of America, and I don't think you mean that. What's VOA? I really hope I don't get roped into any of those trips. Sounds like someone from the company will be hitting Oman, Dubai, Saudi and Iraq in the next six months. Wouldn't mind visiting for a fun trip, but short business trips sounds awful.
    https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/iraq

VOA means visa on arrival. It looks like they're trying to align policy across the country though and that option is no longer available in Erbil so a visa will be required. Check the Iraqi embassy in Canada for more info.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thank you. Didn't know that acronym. Learn something new every day.
    Would love to visit that part of the world's on a leisurely tourist trip. The short work trips are less appealing.

My wife and the three people she's with interviewed 1,000 people in 5 hours. She said it was very hectic.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Air conditioners almost as far as one can see...

Name:  Resized_20191018_171222_5807.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  27.0 KB
    That's all part of Saudi Arabia's planet-leading initiatives in environmental stewardship and carbon neutrality contributing to their super clean oil.
    No wonder Canada imports oil from them.

/Off topic
    /ThreadJack

My Ride
    V8s

My wife and the three people she's with met 1,000 people in 5 hours. She said it was very hectic.
    ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    ftfy
    Yes, you are correct. There's no way a minute per person could constitute a decent interview but it was still called an interview process and they did the best they could do with the situation they were placed in.
    Will fuck off, again.

Well my wife is back, basically two days of travelling and 5 days in Riyadh. She said everything is absolutely crazy there, like no rules exist for the most part. She is the only blonde person she saw in her whole weekend there, they extended her stay by a day because things get done on Saudi time which is not very punctual and they would have kept her longer to assist in running there horror event but she had already been committed to going up and running Edmonton's Screamfest event from today until Monday.

She said there's virtually no driving rules or if there is, no one really follows them and everyone is constantly honking their horns, a lot of that to just announce that you're near some one else's vehicle in traffic. She said there is incredible amount if reform happening right now and especially do for women and that she would've loved to have stayed to help run the event because of how things are changing there so fast - this event will be the largest horror/scare event in the world and that the Saudi people are ridicously excited about this event because it us so far removed from anything they've ever experianced.

She never once felt uncomfortable or threatened but dud wear a scarf/shawl when she was outside of their event center. Inside of the event center though she had get hair out and behaved as normal as here and it was accepted. She even had authority over the people she was hiring and the 270 or so men and 30 or so wonen they hired were all cool with that - when she asked them why they wanted to be a part of this event they said it was because they wanted to be a part of the change.

She said she would go back in a heart beat under the same premises, right now though she is very tired because they survived on only 3-4 hours of sleep each night due to the amount of stuff that had to get done. Add in her nmanaging and doing all the hiring for the as HEX event here in Calgary just before thus trip and the Edmonton Screamfest event and she'll be ready for a bit of downtime. Likewise my self because I've kept busy working, thus Friday will be 19 continuous days of cabinet installation for me and I foresee another continuous 7 days being tacked on to that, good thing it's all close by in Marda Loop so there's not much driving involved.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's great. Maybe one day she'll have a chance to visit for tourist reasons. Sounds like she didn't get time to do much exploring.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

She said there's virtually no driving rules or if there is, no one really follows them and everyone is constantly honking their horns, a lot of that to just announce that you're near some one else's vehicle in traffic.
    Name:  5110501.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  31.5 KB
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Well my wife is back, basically two days of travelling and 5 days in Riyadh. She said everything is absolutely crazy there, like no rules exist for the most part. She is the only blonde person she saw in her whole weekend there, they extended her stay by a day because things get done on Saudi time which is not very punctual and they would have kept her longer to assist in running there horror event but she had already been committed to going up and running Edmonton's Screamfest event from today until Monday.

She said there's virtually no driving rules or if there is, no one really follows them and everyone is constantly honking their horns, a lot of that to just announce that you're near some one else's vehicle in traffic. She said there is incredible amount if reform happening right now and especially do for women and that she would've loved to have stayed to help run the event because of how things are changing there so fast - this event will be the largest horror/scare event in the world and that the Saudi people are ridicously excited about this event because it us so far removed from anything they've ever experianced.

She never once felt uncomfortable or threatened but dud wear a scarf/shawl when she was outside of their event center. Inside of the event center though she had get hair out and behaved as normal as here and it was accepted. She even had authority over the people she was hiring and the 270 or so men and 30 or so wonen they hired were all cool with that - when she asked them why they wanted to be a part of this event they said it was because they wanted to be a part of the change.

She said she would go back in a heart beat under the same premises, right now though she is very tired because they survived on only 3-4 hours of sleep each night due to the amount of stuff that had to get done. Add in her nmanaging and doing all the hiring for the as HEX event here in Calgary just before thus trip and the Edmonton Screamfest event and she'll be ready for a bit of downtime. Likewise my self because I've kept busy working, thus Friday will be 19 continuous days of cabinet installation for me and I foresee another continuous 7 days being tacked on to that, good thing it's all close by in Marda Loop so there's not much driving involved.
    Awesome to hear it went well and prove the haters in this thread wrong

Regarding driving, that is "normal" for most middle eastern countries. I was in Lebanon last year and it's the same thing...it's pretty much every man for himself and no courtesy given to other drivers at all. It's hilarious to see people literally go around long lineups of traffic and try to butt in the front.

That's great. Maybe one day she'll have a chance to visit for tourist reasons. Sounds like she didn't get time to do much exploring.
    There is the very real possibility that they'll be putting on shows in other Saudi Arabian cities if all goes well with this event and yeah, they had no touristy down time. Eat, work, a bit of sleep and a chauffeured bus everywhere.

Burger Kings and Dunkin Donuts were a big thing there although a Burger King chicken sandwich there tastes not even remotely similar to what we have here.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Burger Kings and Dunkin Donuts were a big thing there although a Burger King chicken sandwich there tastes not even remotely similar to what we have here.
    As in better or worse? NA has the blandest chicken on the planet. But I see other countries are slowly losing quality too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast