Quantcast
The Aquarium Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aquarium Thread

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How big is that? love a reef but dont want to go huge.. Nano's are intriguing but know they're super hard to do
    That's the Innovative Marine 20g AIO, lighting is an AI Prime HD.

Nanos are easy; don't let people dissuade you and tell you to "go as big as you can afford." That's bullshit and alot reefers don't know what the fuck they're talking about anyway.

Pico tanks are another story. Those are much harder.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Yup, that's an IM 20! It's not super hard to do actually as long as you do scheduled water changes which is actually easier to do on a smaller tank (because it requires less water, 1 bucket a week is good, whereas big tanks you need more obviously.) It's a very expensive hobby though, BUT I've seen people do it on a budget. The only negative to the IM 20 is the stock pump in the back is really bad so everyone immediately upgrades for a $100 Sicce pump. I'm doing a total re-start on this tank soon though (removing everything - cleaning everything out - and starting fresh). Maybe I'll document a bit of the process here to show how it can be done easy!

Here's what it looked like in its PRIME (6 months old)

IMG_2876 by kijho6, on Flickr

It kinda went down-hill after the move because life just got so busy and I neglected it in the new house.. but this was the view from the living room which I did enjoy

IMG_8012 by kijho6, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    https://petapixel.com/2018/07/31/the...through-glass/

Would this help with aquarium photography?
    Just grab one of these in the size you need:

https://www.amazon.ca/72mm-Camera-Le...0636616&sr=8-3

Also remember if you're using a SLR with the lens pushed up against the glass, it will probably sound like thunder to the fishes haha. Just in case you have any sensitive species in there or something.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

In all my photos posted above I didn't use any special filters or hoods, just my Canon 70D and 50mm lens at the time! I adjusted my lighting to be a little more bright (bumped up the whites a touch) and then just slightly corrected WB in Lightroom (which ends up feeling weird because you don't adjust it the same way you would a normal photo lets say of a car or portrait, you kind of tweak the WB to look more realistic which isn't actually properly balanced... if that makes sense).

I just use a tripod and try to make sure the camera is positioned in a way to have no reflections and I also turn off any other lights in the area of the house... but here's some interesting stuff...

Reverse lens photography w/ 50mm 1.8 (handheld)
    You can buy special adapters but I literally used to just hold the lens and use a fast shutter: https://digital-photography-school.c...aphy-lesson-3/

IMG_7215 by kijho6, on Flickr

IMG_7187 by kijho6, on Flickr
    Last edited by Kijho; 10-09-2019 at 10:12 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    Yup, that's an IM 20! It's not super hard to do actually as long as you do scheduled water changes which is actually easier to do on a smaller tank (because it requires less water, 1 bucket a week is good, whereas big tanks you need more obviously.) It's a very expensive hobby though, BUT I've seen people do it on a budget. The only negative to the IM 20 is the stock pump in the back is really bad so everyone immediately upgrades for a $100 Sicce pump. I'm doing a total re-start on this tank soon though (removing everything - cleaning everything out - and starting fresh). Maybe I'll document a bit of the process here to show how it can be done easy!

Here's what it looked like in its PRIME (6 months old)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/V3Y815]
    Did any of your clowns host the pumps? one thing i always see with tanks is the stupid clown taking care of some top corner or a pump

My Ride
    rally pig

Used to have a 24G reef tank with 2-3 clowns, snails and 1 anemone and loved watching it once in a while.

Wouldn't mind picking up this hobby later on.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Used to have a 24G reef tank with 2-3 clowns, snails and 1 anemone and loved watching it once in a while.

Wouldn't mind picking up this hobby later on.
    I have a 33 gal complete with all the accessories sitting around taking up space. Trade for your exhaust that's sitting around taking up space?

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I have a 33 gal complete with all the accessories sitting around taking up space. Trade for your exhaust that's sitting around taking up space?
    ohhh tempting.. send me pics! what happened to your reef?

My Ride
    G37X

My 45 gallon bow tank due for a clean. Plants are all live, inhabitants are one angelfish, one dwarf gourami, 6 panda corys, 8 lemon tetras, 9 dwarf neon rainbowfish and about 10 amano shrimp. Name:  20191008_192551.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  150.9 KB

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

our red sea marine, reefer series nano 350 (70 some gallons)
    We upgraded from a 20 Gal Nano cube. It was started as something to do and then came to a point where either we were going to shut the tank down or make a go it it.

Occupants are: clown fish, blue chromis, blue demsel, yellow tang, fire fish, cleaner shrimp, a couple of hermit crabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

surprised so many took the plunge and went with a reef tank although they are gorgeous with the corals.

Currently going through an ammonia spike probably caused by the overfeeding when I added the pleco. I was worried he wasn't eating but hes grown and is active so he must be. All his tank mates really prefer eating his algea wafers over there own food. My luck I get a tank of vegetarians.

Look how much his bristles have grown in only a week.

Performed a big water change and did a good gravel vac to help with the ammonia spike. Always love the crystal clear water after a WC

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

So the tear-down of my Fusion 20 began last weekend and throughout the week. Completely took everything out, disregarded a few pieces and kept some others. I wanted to give the tank (4 years old at this point) a deep cleaning and then to re-start and go bare bottom this time (so much easier maintenance and cleaner.)

Vinegar bath for all the equipment

I literally took the tank to the car wash and pressure washed the absolute shiiit out of it Got a few weird stares, but it was worth it. 4 years of crud from the back sump gone haha...

Started mixing more water

So I let the water cycle alone for a couple days, got salinity right, and got temperature good, etc. Then added an amazing product (which was very difficult to find I might add). This stuff claims to allow you to add it to the tank and you can add fish within ~ 24 hours with no problems, then begin regular WC's and your cycle will be done in a week. I used it before when I started the tank and it worked exactly as claimed. So I did it again. I checked everywhere for this stuff but I couldn't find it. Pieces, Concept, Wai's, etc. Last place I checked; Ocean Creations - $24. Bingo!

Now I have two ideas; (Keeping bare bottom)..

Either a clownfish harem tank (4) with frogspawn theme only, OR a seahorse tank (2) with SPS branching and stony corals, but I'd most likely start that with fake branches (Probably some black egg crate structures to allow the seahorses to be in there).

My Ride

I've always used nutrifin CYCLE to start up my tanks. It claims you can add fish instantly but following the directions on the bottle its a 3 day dosing process. Following the instructions I've always had great luck and never felt the need to try other products. Although you still have to add fish slowly, it sure beats waiting 6-8 weeks for a new tank to cycle.

Pet Smart had some fish on sale so I ended up adding another 20 tetras to the tank and then found some java loaches at another place so i picked up a pair to go with my 5 kuhlis.

I do 2 smaller feedings a day on the new tank and was a couple hours late yesterday and the loaches went full on savage over a single piece of flake food that actually made it to the bottom. I usually have to feed them sinking shrimp or algea pellets because floating food usually doesn't get to make it to the bottom.

I'm very impaitently waiting for the green and red glofish danios to make it to canada so I can finish off that school.

Also picked up a 150G tank with a stand, FX5, and heaters for 200$ but it was previously used as a reef tank. He cleaned it out pretty good but still gonna replace the media and hose it all down. Not even really sure the plans for it other than knowing it will be another tropical tank.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

So the plan was to do something different and unique this time around.. was initially going to go a harem of 4 clownfish and then try to find a massive frogspawn with like 25+ heads/ branches to just place right in the middle - and that would be it. Minimal, clean, and lively.

A trip down to Wai's and we see some dragon pipefish and dwarf seahorses. This was kind of the initial desire - a seahorse tank - but we kind of realized the challenges are very high with this idea. (Extremely challenging feeding regime, can't keep many corals, can't really keep other fish, etc.)

Anyways we saw some and f*ck plans changed, the GF loved the seahorse so now working towards getting the tank enriched enough to support a pair.. Picked up these guys to help move the process along, though (and they're compatible.)

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Nice man, good luck and congrats on the pipefish.

I've never kept them before but they're gorgeous creatures, albeit more advanced to keep.

Somewhere along the line you're gonna be picking up a boatload of macroalgae haha.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

I’ll bite. I have a little 13 gallon reef tank running. Keeps me busy in the winter Name:  33159C6B-C3E1-45BC-A446-30B693E6BCAA.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  69.5 KB
    Last edited by civicrider; 10-30-2019 at 02:01 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

That's awesome, I like the GSP wall.

I fed the tank with a bottle of live pods' last night and let it sit with lights and pumps off for about an hour. Also put in a handful of Grape Caulerpa macro in the tank for the Pipefish to enjoy haha. Going seahorses soon!
    Last edited by Kijho; 10-30-2019 at 10:52 AM.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Here's my 5 Gal fluval spec.

Name:  6PbzRL2h.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  74.6 KB
    Name:  YKWKuAxh.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  45.1 KB
    Name:  VgF1aHyh.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  60.1 KB

1 month after, letting the roots get set.
    Name:  3fPhsUIh.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  90.9 KB
    Name:  Ppfr7nph.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  89.2 KB
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    That's awesome, I like the GSP wall.

I fed the tank with a bottle of live pods' last night and let it sit with lights and pumps off for about an hour. Also put in a handful of Grape Caulerpa macro in the tank for the Pipefish to enjoy haha. Going seahorses soon!
    Are you prepared to palpate and syringe them if they get air in their bellies? That would freak me out haha.

My Ride

Well bad news my super red bristlenose that started this thread didn't make it. He just would not eat despite trying dozens of types of food. I even went as far as to contact the previous owner to see how she was feeding him and how to prepare it but he would not touch it. The other 40 fish are doing marvelous and have grown lots.

Replaced him with this little guy. Hes only about the size of a neon right now but should get to 4-5".

He was sold as a "butterfly pleco" but I believe hes actually some sort of hillstream loach. Either way he has a voracious appetite and loves grazing on the biofilm on the glass and isn't shy at all unlike the BN pleco.

I've got the 150G set up in the basement and thinking of ideas for stocking. I want to stay with freshwater fish and probably looking to only get a few larger fish. There is a neighbor looking to re-home a flowerhorn that I may take but still would like to get him at least one tank mate. I don't know much about flowerhorns. I can also get 3-4 tiger oscars for free from a friends dad that breeds them but they would be small juvenile <~2" so I don't know if they could be housed with a full size flowerhorn.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Those pipefish are gorgeous and would look amazing in a reef tank with seahorses!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast