Quantcast
Furnace Issues - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Furnace Issues

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel like a homeowner noob asking, but other than replacing filters, what maintenance should I be doing with my furnace? I've been in our home for about 3 years and we've never done much. We had the ducts cleaned when we first moved in, but that's really it. Are there items I should be checking more often? I'm pretty handy, so I'm not too scared to dig into things if needbe.

Cleaning/checking on your flame sensor. Probably the most common issue during cold winters
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    R50

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    That's exactly what I'm experiencing. Data shows this. I'm currently heating my house with the blinds all open. Ecobee is bitching about my furnace too.

Attachment 88968
    That can’t be right. It takes like 1.5 hours to get from 21 to 22.5C which I resent. But temp had never dropped during a cycle.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

this was my yesterday. Constant call for heat, while house kept cooling.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 3.56.24 PM.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  34.7 KB

It'd randomly jump up in temps tho quickly when we ratchet up the fireplace, then drop when it shuts off from our automation. Just cool air coming out of the furnace.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    I feel like a homeowner noob asking, but other than replacing filters, what maintenance should I be doing with my furnace? I've been in our home for about 3 years and we've never done much. We had the ducts cleaned when we first moved in, but that's really it. Are there items I should be checking more often? I'm pretty handy, so I'm not too scared to dig into things if needbe.
    Make sure you ebay/amazon/or otherwise source a new flame sensor and igniter, then tape them to the furnace - so they're there when needed. They're cheap as chips bought in advance - 300+$ when you get home home and find out one has failed...

Beyond that - bearings on the blower motor... Some are sealed so you never touch them - older ones you can lubricate.

It'd randomly jump up in temps tho quickly when we ratchet up the fireplace, then drop when it shuts off from our automation. Just cool air coming out of the furnace.
    You’re normally pretty thorough with this stuff so I apologize if you’ve already taken the following into account.

Are you sure the Ecobee is setup correctly for your furnace, and that the furnace thermostat wiring is correct? My Ecobee Status like the one you posted shows the 2nd stage of heat as a bar just below the “heat/cool” bar. I would be surprised if your furnace didn’t have two stages of heat. Is it possible the Ecobee is set up thinking it’s single stage and/or the thermostat wiring to the thermostat or the furnace is incorrect so the furnace is never “firing” the second stage of heat?
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

21.5C? Are you a Greta fan? Fuck that noise, 23.5C is our daytime setting, doing our bit to keep the Alberta gas industry going.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Preach
    My parents keep their house at set at 18 celcius. I usually wear my fall jacket when visiting them. But I'm a privileged white guy who grew up in Sask and got sick of the cold.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by rx7_turbo2 View Post
    You’re normally pretty thorough with this stuff so I apologize if you’ve already taken the following into account.

Are you sure the Ecobee is setup correctly for your furnace, and that the furnace thermostat wiring is correct? My Ecobee Status like the one you posted shows the 2nd stage of heat as a bar just below the “heat/cool” bar. I would be surprised if your furnace didn’t have two stages of heat. Is it possible the Ecobee is set up thinking it’s single stage and/or the thermostat wiring to the thermostat or the furnace is incorrect so the furnace is never “firing” the second stage of heat?
    Not enough wires for 2 stage, so they rigged it as a single stage but it goes stage 2 after 10 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    21.5C? Are you a Greta fan? Fuck that noise, 23.5C is our daytime setting, doing our bit to keep the Alberta gas industry going.
    I make up for it in the summer with AC.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Not enough wires for 2 stage, so they rigged it as a single stage but it goes stage 2 after 10 mins.
    Can you confirm the gas valve is actually opening to the 2nd stage? You mentioned the air coming out of the ducts is “luke warm”
    Unless they managed to way undersized the new furnace, I’d suspect the issue lies somewhere in the staging, or possibly the fan speed when the 2nd stage is called for? Thermostat wire is pretty cheap could always run a temp line from thermostat to furnace then configure it all properly see if it makes a difference?
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Can you confirm the gas valve is actually opening to the 2nd stage? You mentioned the air coming out of the ducts is “luke warm”
    Unless they managed to way undersized the new furnace, I’d suspect the issue lies somewhere in the staging, or possibly the fan speed when the 2nd stage is called for? Thermostat wire is pretty cheap could always run a temp line from thermostat to furnace then configure it all properly see if it makes a difference?
    I'm actually considering moving the thermostat into the mechanical room. We have remote sensors throughout the house anyways so it makes zero difference. The current location isn't even used for my temperature averages anyways.

My Ride
    R50

That was my suspicion, I also only have 1 wire going to the Ecobee, which causes it to show the furnace as a single stage even though it's not.

Actually got the installer to come back to make sure things are installed properly, and pointed this question out. He said it actually doesn't matter what the Ecobee thinks, the furnace board determines and controls the staging based on patterns of how fast it could get to the target temperature in the past.

Still don't know if i was fed BS. All I know is year-over-year (forgot how the weather was last year), I used more gas but less electricity.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

They checked it out today, says there's a problem with drainage, so water was draining back into inducer? or something so it vapour locked. He drained everything, nothing was clogged, so suspect it's how the drain wasn't effective. It's working now.

Also suggested moving thermostat downstairs for 2 stage without rewiring the whole house, instead he said don't even bother with stage 1. It's now jumped to just do stage 2. If I don't like the quick temp swings or it's too much, then look into moving thermostat to furnace room.

Once it was cleared up, took a whopping 10 mins to gain 2 degrees back onto target. So I guess it's fixed for now. He suggests yearly maintenance to check on this shit. This ain't what I signed up for. Fucking high maintenance bullshit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by cdnsir View Post
    Actually got the installer to come back to make sure things are installed properly, and pointed this question out. He said it actually doesn't matter what the Ecobee thinks, the furnace board determines and controls the staging based on patterns of how fast it could get to the target temperature in the past.

Still don't know if i was fed BS. All I know is year-over-year (forgot how the weather was last year), I used more gas but less electricity.
    That's not how it works in a proper setup. There's a wire to set stage 1, and another for stage 2, and thermostats can determine when it choses each stage.

In our 1 wire setup, it's fixed on when the furnace decides to go from stage 1 to stage 2 (10-15 mins) or now in my case, always stage 2.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnsir View Post
    I think that’s a bit of a “bandaid”. Manufacturers of 2 stage furnaces create that functionality to accommodate for the fact lots of installations won’t have the ability to allow 2 stage control from the thermostat due to a lack of conductors between thermostat and furnace. Ultimately I think letting the Ecobee determine staging is the most effective due to it’s adjustability.

That's not how it works in a proper setup. There's a wire to set stage 1, and another for stage 2, and thermostats can determine when it choses each stage.

In our 1 wire setup, it's fixed on when the furnace decides to go from stage 1 to stage 2 (10-15 mins) or now in my case, always stage 2.
    We’re the same in terms of multiple sensors, so I moved the thermostat to a spot out of the way that let me run the right # of wires, took a little bit of tinkering to get it dialed in, what sensors when, temp differentials and thresholds etc but we’ve noticed a significant increase in house comfort, and it really only took a couple hours, gave us the ability to control the humidifier from the Ecobee as well.
    Toma the homophobe?

You can use look into this to add a wire without having to run new wires. I installed this with a Nest since it wasn't able to steal enough power to keep it running without a C wire.
    https://smartthermostatguide.com/c-w...dapter-review/
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My dream is to one day have 2 furnaces and eliminate all the BS...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Thats not how that works. You end up with twice the BS.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    changes every year

I'm hoping my flame sensor is the issue I'm having as well....it will be blowing air but no heat, or it will turn on for a quick minute, then shut off and constantly keep doing that.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Thats not how that works. You end up with twice the BS.
    Can confirm. 2 Lennox here, double trouble.

Or downsize to eliminate need for two furnaces?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast