Quantcast
Home maintenance and spare parts thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Home maintenance and spare parts thread

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

crank the oven and leave it open, it'll be enough to not let things freeze for a few days

Also walmart and other stores have longer hours, go pick up a couple space heaters..

For me i just don't need more "just in case, maybe one day" clutter
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you do have an emergency, you can rent space 120V space heaters from places like Rogers and United rentals 6 days a week. They stock several hundred of them. I went through this with a relative two winters ago so I did spend some time calling around. Even during a cold snap there was no supply shortage.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Has anyone ever come across a blown transformer for a furnace? Noticed my ecobee had a black screen, so went down to teh furnace and tried to manually turn on the fan (it's an original 1980s furnace so it just has a switch to turn it from manual to auto) and even that wouldn't fire up, so i'm thinking it must be the transformer. i've already flipped the breaker on and off with no luck.

i guess i'm just trying to understand if a blown transformer is possible and if so is it common? I would rather take a crack at replacing the transformer myself instead of making a service call.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It's not likely just the transformer. Blowers use household 110v, so if you have a physical switch like my 80's furnace does, the switch bypasses everything. Check for voltage into the furance.

My Ride
    Rage2

yeah i think the transformer is usually just for the thermostat not the furnace, i know i had to install one to power my ecobee when i switched from an oldschool t-stat, but if it wont work on manual and the ecobee is dead i'd say its likely a power issue, blown or faulty breaker. or if you have one of those light switches on the furnace power line like some older places have maybe someone turned that off.

^^ Fact Checked

Ok so the weird thing is that the ecobee keeps cycling on and off now. Must be the main 110v power that’s the issue. I do have a switch in the utility room for each furnace. I’ll try switching that out to see if it helps before I look at the breaker.

I also remember now that I kind of smelled a faint burning smell at night, so something must have fried just not sure what.

tested voltage at the wall switch, 122V so i don't think its the breaker. I changed out the switch to a spare one just for fun and no dice either. i didn't check the voltage AT the furnace, but i have to assume it's OK since the switch voltage was good and i put in a new switch.

However after I flipped the breaker back on, i flipped on the blower fan and it's making a humming noise but just not spinning. Is this indicative of a blown blower motor?

anyone know where i can buy a new blower motor locally? ideally a place with contractor pricing. i would have like to have ordered one of those mars azure fans, but i don't see them available on amazon any more.

also it still doesn't fully explain why my ecobee kept cycling off, but my working theory is that since the fan wasn't working, it got really hot in the furnace which either kills the transformer, or some sort of safety thing in the gas valve that is triggering when it gets too hot (i tap the c wire off the terminal on the gas valve).

My Ride
    Blue boy

Princess Auto sells blower motors

actually just looking online, and it could be a matter of replacing the capacitor and not needing to do the whole motor. Has anyone ever done this? the only thing i'm worried about is discharging it... is it really as simple as touching both leads with a screwdriver (holding the insulated part obviously)?

My Ride
    Rage2

is it an old furnace? if its newer it could be the induction motor that's humming. either way sounds like the blower isnt working properly.

I normally get mine from sopers, they're the ones that supply most of the HVAC places anyway,

PA would be a crap shoot because there's nobody with knowledge to help you find the right one.

^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    is it an old furnace? if its newer it could be the induction motor that's humming. either way sounds like the blower isnt working properly.

I normally get mine from sopers, they're the ones that supply most of the HVAC places anyway,

PA would be a crap shoot because there's nobody with knowledge to help you find the right one.
    Yes, go to Sopers.

Nope, it's an original direct drive motor (at least it looks like its from the 80s). It's a GE P-8-9662 motor. 5" diameter 1050RPM 3 speed, 1/5HP

I was really hoping it was as easy as changing the capacitor, but looks like it doesn't have one, so i guess i have to replace the whole thing. I called AMRE and they have a like for like replacement for $285, but i'm thinking i might as well upgrade it if i can. Unfortunately AMRE didn't have any other 5" motors so will call Sopers to see if they have anything. hoping to find a 1/2 or 1HP motor to replace it with considering i added an A/C this summer and i think the extra resistance of the coil along with running it 24/7 probably killed mine.

Will see what Sopers says tomorrow. At least it's not going to be too cold tonight so should be able to get by without it tonight. It's my upstairs furnace that's out of commission so i'll just crank up the main floor one to keep it comfortable.

EDIT: it's a frame 42, so i think that could be limiting me. Are there adapters to convert it to frame 48? Or would i need to replace the whole blower assembly to use a different frame? i'm planning on calling Sopers tomorrow but want to do some research before as a starting point.
    Last edited by sabad66; 10-10-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2