Quantcast
Garage door adjustment? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Garage door adjustment?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Default Garage door adjustment?

Standard 2 car garage door (I think 15x8’?) Noticed there is a bit of light shining through right at the top corners of the door with it closed. Is there a way to adjust it closer to the front of the house to get it to seal up a little better? Would help keep it warmer in the winter. Wasn’t like this last winter, is it possible that it’s opened up due to the house settling etc? Home is 2017 build.

And yes, I’ve checked that there is nothing under the door like snow and ice keeping it from closing fully. Thanks for any help!

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

If its shining at the top corners of the door, I think you need to replace the weatherstripping on the garage outer itself. The only adjustment you can do on the opener is make it close more down I think? Not tighter to the garage
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I will post a pic when I get home but it’s almost like the top panel isn’t reaching completely perpendicular to the ground, as though it’s starting on the curved piece of track too soon?

My Ride
    4x4

If it's a recent drastic change - likely you're talking failure of the weatherstriping, a cable starting to fail, or a seasonal frost heave in the concrete pad necessitating an adjustment.

Start by finding the source of the issue - don't start trying to adjust Willy nilly or you'll end up with larger issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it's a recent drastic change - likely you're talking failure of the weatherstriping, a cable starting to fail, or a seasonal frost heave in the concrete pad necessitating an adjustment.

Start by finding the source of the issue - don't start trying to adjust Willy nilly or you'll end up with larger issues.
    How do you determine if a cable is starting to fail?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

A couple photos of the same corner from outside and inside. Now that I think about it, I’m not sure it’s a recent change. I seem to remember having this issue last year too.

Name:  9B2DC900-EADC-44E5-B26E-E850B0DE27A7.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  FC1BB91C-B932-410C-95F2-DF7DDC247045.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  24.6 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    A couple photos of the same corner from outside and inside. Now that I think about it, I’m not sure it’s a recent change. I seem to remember having this issue last year too.

Name:  9B2DC900-EADC-44E5-B26E-E850B0DE27A7.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  FC1BB91C-B932-410C-95F2-DF7DDC247045.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  24.6 KB
    That corner from the outside looks like shit. Like the newest, first-timer did it. I suspect that's the problem as it looks like piles of light would leak through that.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the picture from my phone, but that's my guess.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I agree. Hack-city for sure. How do I fix it? Unscrew those weather strips and install new ones?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I agree. Hack-city for sure. How do I fix it? Unscrew those weather strips and install new ones?
    Correct. Un-screw, go buy new ones. Home Depot? And cut to fit and install. Lots of Youtube tutorials on how tos. Easy peasy
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    4x4

Grab a proper Arctic grade triple seal weatherstriping.

But it takes some talent be forewarned

Top piece you cut square install - for me about 7/16" between door face (closed) and the steel edge. be aware of thermal bowing, and allow space for it at the center.

Sides you'll notice your weatherstrip should already be notched, start at the top, interweave and splice. Top panel usually has a different lean than the other panels, do top, screw at joint to 3rd panel, then flex in at bottom, again 7/16" space (for me that was right index 1st joint pressed tight).

Too tight and it won't move, too loose and it's useless. Getting it pretty can be fun.

My Ride
    *The First*

As others mentioned, or, get your hands wrapped around some CAULK and keeping squeezing that CAULK until the creamy white substance flows from the tip of that CAULK.

Loudly proclaim what an established CAULK handler you are at length, the entire time you're swinging that CAULK around and marvel at how it's a joke that never gets old. Ever.
    Go to your neighbour's after and ask them if they need any of your partially used CAULK or if they want you to throw the CAULK to something in their house.

My Ride
    Silverado

easy Farva