Quantcast
Applying for work in the US - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Applying for work in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    H1B visa is a lottery based system.
    Yes I'm aware. And since Canadians aren't allowed to participate, I was curious on the posters circumstances.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Toms-SC View Post
    I escaped Calgary nearly two years ago. I came down to California on a TN1 as a "Computer Systems Analyst" (https://bdzlaw.com/tn-visa-systems-analyst/). My employer hired a lawyer to put together a package that was pre-approved by the US Government so there would be no surprises at the border crossing. From start to finish the process was 6 weeks. I've moved onto an H1B a couple of months ago after winning the lotto.
    I've been reading about the IT Systems Analyst under NAFTA Professional for some time. Been curious.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you have for the prerequisites?

I've been interested in this for some time, but don't have the requirements and I'm wondering what I should do to get it done so I qualify.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Yes I'm aware. And since Canadians aren't allowed to participate, I was curious on the posters circumstances.
    Since when are Canadians not allowed to get an H-1B?

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Since when are Canadians not allowed to get an H-1B?
    Who said Canadians can't get an H-1B? Not sure what Marsh was getting at about it being a lottery system? You can get one through a lottery without meeting the normal criteria for application. But in the past Canadians were exempt from the lottery for it. It was about 15 years ago when I attempted to apply for the lottery.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Geo View Post
    So, no point in even trying then?
    The UCP gave Husky a $250MM handout, and what did the people of Alberta get back? A wave of layoffs.
    That could fund a hell of a lot of startups/innovation, or infrastructure, or hell even a mini-Ralph-bucks round at like $75/adult, which would actually recycle through the economy.
    But instead they threw it into losing corporation that will use it to salvage exec pay packages and/or shareholder value.

Bloomberg had a recent article that predicts peak oil demand by 2026-2028. Alberta is at the tail end of a long supply chain, doesn’t matter if we get more pipelines, we will be irrelevant first.

If Alberta doesn’t diversify it will be completely left behind and forgotten in the long run. Oil and gas in Calgary will be a fraction of what it is now in the next decade or two.
    Sorry. Since when does an across the board corporate tax cut count as a handout? You realize this wasn’t the UCP just cutting Husky a check and saying thanks for the good work lol. This “$250 Million handout to Husky” talk is intellectually dishonest, which obviously makes it a favourite NDP talking point that you are reiterating, congrats.

You know the same tax cut helps your beloved “diversified” businesses too right?

Yea Husky still laid people off, it sucks. But that is a result of not needing those people due to dwindling investment prospects in this province, which are the fault of an increasingly targeted and punitive regulatory environment with that exact design in mind, not this years taxable income number.

We should just be happy Husky is still paying taxes in this province and not Delaware.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You know the same tax cut helps your beloved “diversified” businesses too right?
    I call bullshit. The majority of start-ups operate at a loss for the beginning of their existence. They rely heavily on investments during the development phases before eventually shifting to profit. The tax cuts does absolutely nothing to help them because its a long time before they ever post a profit.

Tax cuts only help pad shareholder profits for large corporations. It does nothing to encourage hiring more people.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I call bullshit. The majority of start-ups operate at a loss for the beginning of their existence. They rely heavily on investments during the development phases before eventually shifting to profit. The tax cuts does absolutely nothing to help them because its a long time before they ever post a profit.

Tax cuts only help pad shareholder profits for large corporations. It does nothing to encourage hiring more people.
    I rest my case on the viability of Canada as anything other than a resource producer.

Similarly expansion of research positions is also something that doesn't benefit from income tax cuts. If they're going to invest money in R&D somewhere they want a steady, preferably local stream of research assistants and qualified technical people, they want universities with steady grant money who can also do independent research parallel to their own field trials (this is particularly big for things like agchem where the PMRA doesn't really enjoy studies 'sponsored by Bayer' being the only ones telling them that a new Bayer product is safe and effective). So the province making post-secondary less affordable, less accessible and less competitive certainly is a way to help stifle any kind of diversification.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 11-03-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Just to be clear, Canadians can be put into the H1B lottery. I can say this because I've got one that came from the lotto process. Perhaps something has changed since Misterman last looked?
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Zhariak View Post
    I've been reading about the IT Systems Analyst under NAFTA Professional for some time. Been curious.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you have for the prerequisites?

I've been interested in this for some time, but don't have the requirements and I'm wondering what I should do to get it done so I qualify.
    I did two years at SAIT as a Network Engineer and an additional two years for an Applied Bachelors. The Immigration Lawyers had to hire a secondary specialty firm that looked through my transcripts and aligned my education to an American equivalent. I had nine years of work experience and three applicable industry certifications helped as well.

Is that helpful?
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

A lot of the American tech firms I applied to did not know about the TN1.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...-professionals

Read this site 2 times over so you are able to speak about the subject with a potential employer.
    Last edited by Toms-SC; 11-03-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    If any O&G professionals are looking to make the US transfer it’s going to be much more difficult then the last few years. The US industry is seeing major issues at current WTI pricing and most companies are simply not profitable at current prices. Layoffs have hit the industry hard the last 6 months to the point that I’ve heard people are struggling to get a job in Midland. 2 years ago you could have half a brain and get multiple offers to be a senior level person in midland at $150-200k base with a nice signing bonus.

On top of that, most US companies are now refusing to even consider anyone needing a visa, and sometimes it goes as far as not hiring non-Americans. Discrimination is a thing down here even if you are a Canadian which is surprising.
    Wait I'm confused. I thought going to the US was dead easy work, and was told this most certainly less than 2 years ago. Texas not the dream boat any more?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

If anyone has a decent business idea they want to open in the states I have a nice new open visa I can sponsor people with :lol:
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

I did two years at SAIT as a Network Engineer and an additional two years for an Applied Bachelors. The Immigration Lawyers had to hire a secondary specialty firm that looked through my transcripts and aligned my education to an American equivalent. I had nine years of work experience and three applicable industry certifications helped as well.

Is that helpful?
    Yes it is! Thank you very much!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Just to be clear, Canadians can be put into the H1B lottery. I can say this because I've got one that came from the lotto process. Perhaps something has changed since Misterman last looked?
    Could have very well changed in the last decade. That's awesome for you, congrats!! Thanks for clarifying.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    If anyone has a decent business idea they want to open in the states I have a nice new open visa I can sponsor people with :lol:
    Can't tell if serious or not haha

I looked at moving my startup south of the border last year but it's kind of a pain. Despite 90% of my revenue coming from US customers you need around 250-500k investment basically and to be able to show you'll employ a number of US workers and such IIRC.

I kinda half debating applying for a US engineering job just to get down there and then could run things on the side but idk how legal that technically is. If you can have secondary work under a TN or not.

My Ride

Can't tell if serious or not haha

I looked at moving my startup south of the border last year but it's kind of a pain. Despite 90% of my revenue coming from US customers you need around 250-500k investment basically and to be able to show you'll employ a number of US workers and such IIRC.

I kinda half debating applying for a US engineering job just to get down there and then could run things on the side but idk how legal that technically is. If you can have secondary work under a TN or not.
    Minimum investment is $30,000 USD, to get noticed and approved you should start at $100,000USD.

I’m serious, just finalizing 1 business in the great North Dakota and want to partner with someone else for a Texas one.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    Minimum investment is $30,000 USD, to get noticed and approved you should start at $100,000USD.

I’m serious, just finalizing 1 business in the great North Dakota and want to partner with someone else for a Texas one.
    Interesting, when I looked into it basically everyone said the minimums are a joke and you have no hope of getting noticed. Hence the 250-500k number. That's not too bad. Maybe one of these days I'll bite the bullet, still have dreams of living in California for a bit

My Ride

Interesting, when I looked into it basically everyone said the minimums are a joke and you have no hope of getting noticed. Hence the 250-500k number. That's not too bad. Maybe one of these days I'll bite the bullet, still have dreams of living in California for a bit
    The biggest issue I had was getting all the “check marks” on their list. Office space, parking space, random numbers, all which I didn’t even need to run the business. Needless to say I’ve had an office for 5 month down there just empty - facepalm.
    Professionally Retired

One could argue that most of the USA's wealth is illusionary. A literal Ponzi scheme that requires more people join into it and become part of a system that charges $8,000 a month in rent and go to a job that sells $13 slices of avocado toast.

The hard numbers that everyone in the USA ignores is the debt. Its literally what is allowing the USA to become obese year after year after decade. Keep consuming, golf weekend in Hawaii, then golf day on the moon.

The second that the USA declares that some debt has to be paid back (or at least not grow any larger) is the day they take the free gasoline, free food, and free golf away. I can imagine it will be similar to changing the law so that students cannot default on debt will simply be extended to the national debt on a per citizen basis, or anyone unfortunate enough to be a part of the US economy as a wage "earner".

http://dailyreckoning.com/dr-content...al-US-Debt.jpg

There have been many times in US history where there has be absolutely no debt.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-05-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast