Quantcast
Applying for work in the US - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Applying for work in the US

Default Applying for work in the US

There have been various posts over the years about working in the US, but I thought I'd ask around about recent experiences. The biggest barrier I have found is the visa. According to many of my friends who are in the US now on TN visas part of it is letting prospective companies know about TN Visa process (I qualify as an engineer) and that it is much easier than a H1B. A friend of mine in SF also suggested I change the address on my resume to his in SF which would help me get interviews (not sure how much this helps). I wanted to know if anyone has had any recent experience applying down in the US and going through the whole TN Visa process.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So I don't have any experience in the last few years, I don't know if anything has changed in the Trump era but 4 years ago I just went to the airport with my original engineering degree and a one page letter from my P.Eng supervisor and then I just paid the fee and got a 3 year work Visa. All in it was about half hour.

I forget the exact letter but basically it said I had a specialized skillset, I would be working for X amount of time but I may do future work so I'd like to apply for a 3 year Visa, and that I'd still be working for the Canadian parent company. Then signed and stamped and all they did was read it and photocopy.

I imagine working for a US company would be similar. You just need a letter and some kind of proof of a job offer. One thing to note though is you'll probably have better luck if you have a time-based (1-3 year) contract rather than permanent employment because that explicitly shows its temporary. You can always renew / extend it.

It's an awkward situation because generally when you check the 'I need a visa/sponsorship' then you are automatically rejected for many jobs. But it's not the same level of sponsorship as a H1-B visa which costs the US company tens of thousands of dollars to apply for.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's an awkward situation because generally when you check the 'I need a visa/sponsorship' then you are automatically rejected for many jobs. But it's not the same level of sponsorship as a H1-B visa which costs the US company tens of thousands of dollars to apply for.
    That is exactly the feedback I've gotten. The people I have talked to don't consider it a sponsorship because all you need is a job offer and some description of the work you'll be doing. You don't need your company to petition the government to allow you to work for them. Anyway I'm going to apply for some jobs over the next few weeks with some of the tips I've gotten from friends, and update my progress here. Hopefully it becomes a useful guide for people interested in this path in the future. That being said anyone with recent experience please go ahead and post your experiences here.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Meanwhile in Canada it's illegal to NOT hire someone because of their lack of citizenship:
    https://business.financialpost.com/o...idnt-even-hire
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I saw that the other day... So much wrong.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I had a TN1 visa back in 2006-2008, it was easy to get, but the biggest factor is understanding what you need to get it. It's really quite simple. I qualified under "Scientific Tech" as an expert in my field, but a lot of companies are timid about this because they're unaware of what is needed. Let's be clear, your US employer doesn't need to do anything other than saying "Yes, we are hiring this person".

I have no experience with H1B. My wife is finishing medical school in the US and we're about to go through that process for her residency.

I am in the process of getting an E2 visa (just opened an office in Atlanta), but that wouldn't apply to you. My opinion is that US visas are not a problem if you qualify and understand the process clearly. As for changing your address, I would not do that, instead when applying for jobs, let them know that you have a solid understanding of the work visa process and will require very little from them to get a working visa.

PM me if you have other questions that I might be able to help with.

I'd be more worried about the long term ramifications of earning a single dollar in the USA. Although if not a citizen, the IRS still does have a stupendous amount of power and legalese that no ordinary human could possibly understand. NASA made it straight up illegal to hire Chinese or anyone even related with Chinese ancestry.

Boris had to pay his six digit exit fee, even though he has been living in the UK since he was five years old (and never made a penny in the USA)

From a legal point of view, its is becoming increasingly dangerous to attempt to contribute to and be paid as a part of the USA workforce - heaven knows that Mexicans know this all too well. I can imagine this will only accelerate as US debt per citizen starts tipping $200,000 per head. As is now, they tend to blame Mexico, but Canada cannot be far behind, nor that matter blaming your state neighbor.

I wish you luck in all your future endeavors, but be wary of traps.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-15-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

I escaped Calgary nearly two years ago. I came down to California on a TN1 as a "Computer Systems Analyst" (https://bdzlaw.com/tn-visa-systems-analyst/). My employer hired a lawyer to put together a package that was pre-approved by the US Government so there would be no surprises at the border crossing. From start to finish the process was 6 weeks. I've moved onto an H1B a couple of months ago after winning the lotto.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Toms-SC View Post
    I escaped Calgary nearly two years ago. I came down to California on a TN1 as a "Computer Systems Analyst" (https://bdzlaw.com/tn-visa-systems-analyst/). My employer hired a lawyer to put together a package that was pre-approved by the US Government so there would be no surprises at the border crossing. From start to finish the process was 6 weeks. I've moved onto an H1B a couple of months ago after winning the lotto.
    Did you mean winning the actual lottery of millions of dollars? Far as I knew, Canadians were exempt from being a part of any Visa lottery.

Glad I saw this thread! If it's that easy to get a work visa, I might very well be making my exit from this country.

My Ride
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Did you mean winning the actual lottery of millions of dollars? Far as I knew, Canadians were exempt from being a part of any Visa lottery.

Glad I saw this thread! If it's that easy to get a work visa, I might very well be making my exit from this country.
    Not the actual lottery. H1B visa is a lottery based system.

If any O&G professionals are looking to make the US transfer it’s going to be much more difficult then the last few years. The US industry is seeing major issues at current WTI pricing and most companies are simply not profitable at current prices. Layoffs have hit the industry hard the last 6 months to the point that I’ve heard people are struggling to get a job in Midland. 2 years ago you could have half a brain and get multiple offers to be a senior level person in midland at $150-200k base with a nice signing bonus.

On top of that, most US companies are now refusing to even consider anyone needing a visa, and sometimes it goes as far as not hiring non-Americans. Discrimination is a thing down here even if you are a Canadian which is surprising.

My Ride
    ute

Wait, why aren't you guys all staying here to help with the project to "diversify" our economy?!?!?!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

US industry is going to see a massive wave of consolidation over the next 12 months, and total employment will be significantly lower. I predict 2020 rig count will reach 700 down there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Wait, why aren't you guys all staying here to help with the project to "diversify" our economy?!?!?!
    Like the Philippines, we will diversify by sending remittances back to our poor family.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    US industry is going to see a massive wave of consolidation over the next 12 months, and total employment will be significantly lower. I predict 2020 rig count will reach 700 down there.

- - - Updated - - -

Like the Philippines, we will diversify by sending remittances back to our poor family.
    I think its funny that Canadians think we can just replace the O+G business with "diversification" like budding flowers in the spring. It ain't happening. Canadians aren't built for actual innovation.

I was stupidly baited into this discussion with an extremely left-leaning friend (think kertjud levels) and it is laughable how stupid some people really are when it comes to a basic understanding of how the world works. If tech companies, or other industries, wanted to move to Alberta they could have done so anytime over the past 20-30 years and never did. Alberta was a place that was generally an attractive place to invest, so why didn’t any of these industries show up? Some people claiming “cheap office space” being a reason corporations would relocate to Calgary just seems dumb...so you really think successful companies are going to up and relocate because of cheap office space? Maybe, just maybe (hear me out here...it’s tough), when successful young tech innovators can live in LA, San Fran, NYC, Seattle, Vancouver, etc. they are actively choosing to not move to Alberta because these other places have better things to offer? I am a born and raised Calgarian, and don’t get me wrong, there are worse places to live then Calgary - but it is not a world class city. The only thing Calgary had going for it was 1) easy to get a high paying job; and 2) proximity to the mountains. Albertans voting for the NDP 4 years ago and Eastern Canada voting for the liberals now twice has taken care of #1 for the foreseeable future so unless you really love the mountains in Alberta then what’s the point of staying?

My Ride
    ute

Alberta (and Canada in general) is like the hot chick with big tits. She thinks because she's hot and has big tits that she must also be a good actress. Just be happy that you can make that 'gram money from your big tits, and say thank you for your good fortune. Don't try to confuse that with actually being valuable from an intellectual perspective. Canadians are the same. You have been blessed with resources....get rich off of those resources and stop pretending you are something you are not.

Canadians who harp on about "diversifying" the Alberta economy have one thing fundamentally wrong: they think diversification is something you do. It's not. It's something you get as a result, when you do all of the other things right. Things like rewarding and celebrating success. This is certainly something that Canadians are very poor at. Alberta will never be able to diversify: we have big tits, but no understanding about what talent actually looks like.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Alberta (and Canada in general) is like the hot chick with big tits. She thinks because she's hot and has big tits that she must also be a good actress. Just be happy that you can make that 'gram money from your big tits, and say thank you for your good fortune. Don't try to confuse that with actually being valuable from an intellectual perspective. Canadians are the same. You have been blessed with resources....get rich off of those resources and stop pretending you are something you are not.

Canadians who harp on about "diversifying" the Alberta economy have one thing fundamentally wrong: they think diversification is something you do. It's not. It's something you get as a result, when you do all of the other things right. Things like rewarding and celebrating success. This is certainly something that Canadians are very poor at. Alberta will never be able to diversify: we have big tits, but no understanding about what talent actually looks like.
    Brilliant analogy.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    Maybe, just maybe (hear me out here...it’s tough), when successful young tech innovators can live in LA, San Fran, NYC, Seattle, Vancouver, etc. they are actively choosing to not move to Alberta because these other places have better things to offer? I am a born and raised Calgarian, and don’t get me wrong, there are worse places to live then Calgary - but it is not a world class city. The only thing Calgary had going for it was 1) easy to get a high paying job; and 2) proximity to the mountains.
    Yet whenever there's an attempt to try and inch the city to be more than just two things, a quick glance at a community open house or a beyond thread about it will show just how angry the suggestion makes people.

I think its funny that Canadians think we can just replace the O+G business with "diversification" like budding flowers in the spring. It ain't happening. Canadians aren't built for actual innovation.
    So, no point in even trying then?
    The UCP gave Husky a $250MM handout, and what did the people of Alberta get back? A wave of layoffs.
    That could fund a hell of a lot of startups/innovation, or infrastructure, or hell even a mini-Ralph-bucks round at like $75/adult, which would actually recycle through the economy.
    But instead they threw it into losing corporation that will use it to salvage exec pay packages and/or shareholder value.

Bloomberg had a recent article that predicts peak oil demand by 2026-2028. Alberta is at the tail end of a long supply chain, doesn’t matter if we get more pipelines, we will be irrelevant first.

If Alberta doesn’t diversify it will be completely left behind and forgotten in the long run. Oil and gas in Calgary will be a fraction of what it is now in the next decade or two.

My Ride
    ute

The things that actually would LOOK like "diversification" in Alberta are better done elsewhere. Are Canadians willing to do the things that create an environment for actual high value activities? Answer: no they are not. Never have been. Canadians don't think like that. Canadians are the very definition of being born on 3rd and thinking you hit a triple. It's the reason that Canadians behave so stupidly towards wealth generation - especially lately. Any rational human being elsewhere in the world would see the oil demand out there and do everything in their power to fill that demand and make shit tons of money. What do Canadians do? Turn their nose up at enterprise because they think money falls from trees in general. About 5 billion poor people living hand-to-mouth around the world would think we were the biggest morons going. And they would be right.

So you want to give $250 million to people to "diversify"? Have you thought through what that means? Do you helicopter cash to a bunch of neckbeards coding in their parent's basement in the hopes they will create the next big wave of digital economies? Not happening.

Canada can't attract capital investment for the things we're actually good at. It's definitely not attracting capital investment based on dreamy catch-phrases like "diversification".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast