Quantcast
Applying for work in the US - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3
Results 41 to 56 of 56

Thread: Applying for work in the US

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    799
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The hard numbers that everyone in the USA ignores is the debt. Its literally what is allowing the USA to become obese year after year after decade. Keep consuming, golf weekend in Hawaii, then golf day on the moon.
    Lol wut.

    They shutdown their government almost ever year bickering over their debt ceiling. In fact later this month it'll shutdown again marking the second shutdown in this calendar year.
    Nolan

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    489
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I dunno, you could say that they are shutting down the government not because they are bickering over debt - but because they need more money to keep their corporate pledges from rebelling. You can argue over something (debt) as a cause or effect.

    As far as I'm concerned the US still hasn't paid off its fuel tab for Apollo, some 50 years later. The ones that will immediately be blamed, Mexicans, then Canadians, the Puerto Ricans, then Hawaiians. The last to be standing would be Central USA (Nebraska, Dakotas) So if your plan is to pretend to be a Dakotan - its actually not all that bad of a plan. Asian people would not be able to pass as a Dakotan though.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-06-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    FATCA is coming for your loonies.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,750
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    How does taxation work for a Canadian citizen working in the US? Is that a double hit of CRA and IRS?

    Does that also mean you have to leave any financed assets behind if you move to the US?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,725
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How does taxation work for a Canadian citizen working in the US? Is that a double hit of CRA and IRS?

    Does that also mean you have to leave any financed assets behind if you move to the US?
    tax treaties prevent double taxation

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,686
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How does taxation work for a Canadian citizen working in the US? Is that a double hit of CRA and IRS?

    Does that also mean you have to leave any financed assets behind if you move to the US?
    Canada and most other countries tax based on residency. So if you live and work in the US all year you just pay US taxes

    US however taxes on citizenship regardless of where you reside, so Americans living outside of the US are subject to US tax. However, tax treaties do allow you to use taxes paid in other friendly countries as credits against US taxes. Since most other countries have higher tax rates than US, your taxes paid end up essentially canceling out your US tax liability. Long story short, MOST Americans living in other countries don’t end up owing anything and the biggest “burden” is the cost/time of filing a US return. But there are certain cases where they would end up owing tax such as massive capital gains on RE, or capital gains in a TfSA (US doesn’t recognize TFSA as tax free)

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Merc S550, Merc SL550, F-450, ML63
    Posts
    260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Canada and most other countries tax based on residency. So if you live and work in the US all year you just pay US taxes

    US however taxes on citizenship regardless of where you reside, so Americans living outside of the US are subject to US tax. However, tax treaties do allow you to use taxes paid in other friendly countries as credits against US taxes. Since most other countries have higher tax rates than US, your taxes paid end up essentially canceling out your US tax liability. Long story short, MOST Americans living in other countries don’t end up owing anything and the biggest “burden” is the cost/time of filing a US return. But there are certain cases where they would end up owing tax such as massive capital gains on RE, or capital gains in a TfSA (US doesn’t recognize TFSA as tax free)
    Canadians on the other hand get royally railed. If I’m making all my money in the US but still live in Canada I would have to pay Canadian taxes on anything above the US tax rate.

    For example. I get taxed 15% in the US and the same rate in Canada would be 45% I would have to “top” up the tax rate of 30% to Canada on my yearly return.
    Professionally Retired

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,686
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Canadians on the other hand get royally railed. If I’m making all my money in the US but still live in Canada I would have to pay Canadian taxes on anything above the US tax rate.

    For example. I get taxed 15% in the US and the same rate in Canada would be 45% I would have to “top” up the tax rate of 30% to Canada on my yearly return.
    It sucks, but I can’t say I disagree with this. If you want to live in Canada, you should pay the same taxes as everyone else regardless of where you earned it.

    Sounds like you are moving residency to the US to avoid this?

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Merc S550, Merc SL550, F-450, ML63
    Posts
    260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sucks, but I can’t say I disagree with this. If you want to live in Canada, you should pay the same taxes as everyone else regardless of where you earned it.

    Sounds like you are moving residency to the US to avoid this?
    I will eventually. I’ll wait up to 1 year before I sell anything in Calgary. I’m in an odd situation where I have a large enough shareholders loan where I can avoid taxes for quite awhile if needed.
    Professionally Retired

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,750
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Thanks, peeps.

    If you want to use a Canadian car to the US but it's still on lien against a Canadian bank, is it able to be registered there? Do you even switch registration or keep it AB?

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,725
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, peeps.

    If you want to use a Canadian car to the US but it's still on lien against a Canadian bank, is it able to be registered there? Do you even switch registration or keep it AB?
    Your loan documents likely do not permit this

  11. #51
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg/Saint John
    My Ride
    MS & Q5
    Posts
    2,238
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't tell if serious or not haha

    I looked at moving my startup south of the border last year but it's kind of a pain. Despite 90% of my revenue coming from US customers you need around 250-500k investment basically and to be able to show you'll employ a number of US workers and such IIRC.

    I kinda half debating applying for a US engineering job just to get down there and then could run things on the side but idk how legal that technically is. If you can have secondary work under a TN or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Minimum investment is $30,000 USD, to get noticed and approved you should start at $100,000USD.

    I’m serious, just finalizing 1 business in the great North Dakota and want to partner with someone else for a Texas one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting, when I looked into it basically everyone said the minimums are a joke and you have no hope of getting noticed. Hence the 250-500k number. That's not too bad. Maybe one of these days I'll bite the bullet, still have dreams of living in California for a bit
    I just opened an office in Atlanta. 30k is the mark to start getting noticed for an E2 visa, but around the 100k mark it's basically a sure thing. They want to see you employ or plan to employ 5+ people in a couple of years.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Houston
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your loan documents likely do not permit this
    A vehicle with a lien or loan is not permitted to be imported, in addition to the State restriction for title issuance (Texas at least). @flipstah , sell or discharge loan before residing in US.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,750
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A vehicle with a lien or loan is not permitted to be imported, in addition to the State restriction for title issuance (Texas at least). @flipstah , sell or discharge loan before residing in US.
    Le sigh

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,494
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just opened an office in Atlanta. 30k is the mark to start getting noticed for an E2 visa, but around the 100k mark it's basically a sure thing. They want to see you employ or plan to employ 5+ people in a couple of years.
    You need an employee? @Jlude Lol

  15. #55
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg/Saint John
    My Ride
    MS & Q5
    Posts
    2,238
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need an employee? @Jlude Lol
    I definitely do.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Merc S550, Merc SL550, F-450, ML63
    Posts
    260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I definitely do.
    You’re allowed to fire Canadians as long as you’re bringing them down as managers or supervisors.
    Professionally Retired

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Applying to UofC, late transcripts.

    By magicalpoop in forum Campus Chat
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 08-03-2009, 12:27 PM
  2. Applying to UBC

    By e36bmw/// in forum Campus Chat
    Replies: 13
    Latest Threads: 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
  3. Applying a dash kit

    By Kloubek in forum Cosmetic and Styling Modifications
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 02-05-2008, 09:49 PM
  4. applying 3m wax/detail before ok?

    By vincent-h in forum Car Care, Detailing and Body Work
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 06-13-2006, 03:25 AM
  5. Applying wax and using a buffer

    By STONER1 in forum Car Care, Detailing and Body Work
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 05-12-2005, 11:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •