Quantcast
Applying for work in the US - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Applying for work in the US

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The hard numbers that everyone in the USA ignores is the debt. Its literally what is allowing the USA to become obese year after year after decade. Keep consuming, golf weekend in Hawaii, then golf day on the moon.
    Lol wut.

They shutdown their government almost ever year bickering over their debt ceiling. In fact later this month it'll shutdown again marking the second shutdown in this calendar year.

I dunno, you could say that they are shutting down the government not because they are bickering over debt - but because they need more money to keep their corporate pledges from rebelling. You can argue over something (debt) as a cause or effect.

As far as I'm concerned the US still hasn't paid off its fuel tab for Apollo, some 50 years later. The ones that will immediately be blamed, Mexicans, then Canadians, the Puerto Ricans, then Hawaiians. The last to be standing would be Central USA (Nebraska, Dakotas) So if your plan is to pretend to be a Dakotan - its actually not all that bad of a plan. Asian people would not be able to pass as a Dakotan though.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-06-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Exploded.

How does taxation work for a Canadian citizen working in the US? Is that a double hit of CRA and IRS?

Does that also mean you have to leave any financed assets behind if you move to the US?
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    How does taxation work for a Canadian citizen working in the US? Is that a double hit of CRA and IRS?

Does that also mean you have to leave any financed assets behind if you move to the US?
    tax treaties prevent double taxation

Canada and most other countries tax based on residency. So if you live and work in the US all year you just pay US taxes

US however taxes on citizenship regardless of where you reside, so Americans living outside of the US are subject to US tax. However, tax treaties do allow you to use taxes paid in other friendly countries as credits against US taxes. Since most other countries have higher tax rates than US, your taxes paid end up essentially canceling out your US tax liability. Long story short, MOST Americans living in other countries don’t end up owing anything and the biggest “burden” is the cost/time of filing a US return. But there are certain cases where they would end up owing tax such as massive capital gains on RE, or capital gains in a TfSA (US doesn’t recognize TFSA as tax free)

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Canada and most other countries tax based on residency. So if you live and work in the US all year you just pay US taxes

US however taxes on citizenship regardless of where you reside, so Americans living outside of the US are subject to US tax. However, tax treaties do allow you to use taxes paid in other friendly countries as credits against US taxes. Since most other countries have higher tax rates than US, your taxes paid end up essentially canceling out your US tax liability. Long story short, MOST Americans living in other countries don’t end up owing anything and the biggest “burden” is the cost/time of filing a US return. But there are certain cases where they would end up owing tax such as massive capital gains on RE, or capital gains in a TfSA (US doesn’t recognize TFSA as tax free)
    Canadians on the other hand get royally railed. If I’m making all my money in the US but still live in Canada I would have to pay Canadian taxes on anything above the US tax rate.

For example. I get taxed 15% in the US and the same rate in Canada would be 45% I would have to “top” up the tax rate of 30% to Canada on my yearly return.
    Professionally Retired

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    Canadians on the other hand get royally railed. If I’m making all my money in the US but still live in Canada I would have to pay Canadian taxes on anything above the US tax rate.

For example. I get taxed 15% in the US and the same rate in Canada would be 45% I would have to “top” up the tax rate of 30% to Canada on my yearly return.
    It sucks, but I can’t say I disagree with this. If you want to live in Canada, you should pay the same taxes as everyone else regardless of where you earned it.

Sounds like you are moving residency to the US to avoid this?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    It sucks, but I can’t say I disagree with this. If you want to live in Canada, you should pay the same taxes as everyone else regardless of where you earned it.

Sounds like you are moving residency to the US to avoid this?
    I will eventually. I’ll wait up to 1 year before I sell anything in Calgary. I’m in an odd situation where I have a large enough shareholders loan where I can avoid taxes for quite awhile if needed.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Exploded.

Thanks, peeps.

If you want to use a Canadian car to the US but it's still on lien against a Canadian bank, is it able to be registered there? Do you even switch registration or keep it AB?
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    ute

Thanks, peeps.

If you want to use a Canadian car to the US but it's still on lien against a Canadian bank, is it able to be registered there? Do you even switch registration or keep it AB?
    Your loan documents likely do not permit this

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Can't tell if serious or not haha

I looked at moving my startup south of the border last year but it's kind of a pain. Despite 90% of my revenue coming from US customers you need around 250-500k investment basically and to be able to show you'll employ a number of US workers and such IIRC.

I kinda half debating applying for a US engineering job just to get down there and then could run things on the side but idk how legal that technically is. If you can have secondary work under a TN or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    Minimum investment is $30,000 USD, to get noticed and approved you should start at $100,000USD.

I’m serious, just finalizing 1 business in the great North Dakota and want to partner with someone else for a Texas one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Interesting, when I looked into it basically everyone said the minimums are a joke and you have no hope of getting noticed. Hence the 250-500k number. That's not too bad. Maybe one of these days I'll bite the bullet, still have dreams of living in California for a bit
    I just opened an office in Atlanta. 30k is the mark to start getting noticed for an E2 visa, but around the 100k mark it's basically a sure thing. They want to see you employ or plan to employ 5+ people in a couple of years.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Your loan documents likely do not permit this
    A vehicle with a lien or loan is not permitted to be imported, in addition to the State restriction for title issuance (Texas at least). @flipstah , sell or discharge loan before residing in US.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    A vehicle with a lien or loan is not permitted to be imported, in addition to the State restriction for title issuance (Texas at least). @flipstah , sell or discharge loan before residing in US.
    Le sigh
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    I just opened an office in Atlanta. 30k is the mark to start getting noticed for an E2 visa, but around the 100k mark it's basically a sure thing. They want to see you employ or plan to employ 5+ people in a couple of years.
    You need an employee? @Jlude Lol

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    You need an employee? @Jlude Lol
    I definitely do.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    I definitely do.
    You’re allowed to fire Canadians as long as you’re bringing them down as managers or supervisors.
    Professionally Retired

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3