Quantcast
Ordered a 2019 Toyota Rav4, will be getting a 2020 instead but have to pay $700 more - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ordered a 2019 Toyota Rav4, will be getting a 2020 instead but have to pay $700 more

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’d say split it with them.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will pay $700 for a newer model year..

Put it this way, the resell value for 2020 will be better than 2019 for sure, say a 2015 and 2016 RAV4 for sale, even same km, but $700 difference, which one would you buy?

By the way, if you are talking the Hybrid, there is a big shortage and huge demand for Hybrid vehicles from Toyota/Lexus now... most models been sold out for months!

I am sure if you want to take your deposit back, no problem, but I doubt you can get extra $700 off on a 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid, and expect a long waiting time.
    This, if you've ever factory order a vehicle you'd know it's a pain. At this point, getting a 2020 is a way better deal even for $700 more. a year later, your 2020 would be worth at least 2k more than the 2019 with same KM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Doesn't Redlyne_mr2 work at the Toyota in Red Deer still?
    Wonder what he can do for you compared to price you paid currently.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Update: Finally received word this past weekend that the vehicle is here and scheduled pick-up on Saturday. They are passing the $700 cost to me and not budging. A few months back the sales person said that the sales manager would 'see what he can do' to compensate for the $700. Fast forward to the present, and the sales person told me that the sales manager felt bad I waited so long and his 'favor' is giving this vehicle to me instead of another customer because they usually give the vehicles to customers who pay the most (which contradicts what I was originally told about first come first serve). The other option he proposed is I turn this vehicle down and get one maybe in March and he'll ask his sales manager to throw in a cargo liner

Today, I receive an email he wants to charge me $526 + tax because he 'forgot' to include the block heater charge to my 'all in' pricing and that the 2020 comes with a block heater whereas the 2019 doesn't... We both did the math when the 2020 pricing was on toyota.ca and the difference for the exact same trim, model, accessories, etc. was about $700, not $1230.

... seriously?!?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

This feels like Country Hills tactics to me. I can't give you any input on what to do in your specific situation. Mathematically what everyone said about 'just paying it' for the 2020 makes sense. I am much more petty though and this would really bug me.
    Cos...

My Ride

So earlier in this thread, I recommended escalating the situation to the GM or higher. Have you done so?
    If the guy who is fucking you over is doing it repeatedly, you would be silly to expect any differently if you are trying to convince the same guy to change. Talk to his boss?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    They aren't screwing you over, as long as they'll permit you to cancel the deal and give your deposit back. This happens and it's not always the dealerships fault. You are free to shop around now.
    Quoting myself and remembering all the reasons a deposit is a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Standard dealer horseshit. Next they will 'forget' charging you for undercoating.

Promised in Sept, now available in Jan. wow.

Time to walk and try again elsewhere. I would even recommend leaving the city.

$500+ for a block heater? They could at least throw in some lube. Block heaters are commonly free or thrown in as part of the deal. Don't pay them for it at all. If they want to put it on the invoice, make sure it comes out of their end. Same deal with any admin fees, key replacement fees, glass etching fee, etc. You should not be paying a cent for those.

And that mat they offered you in March MAYBE costs the dealership $20. If you want mats, aftermarket ones are cheaper (than dealership retail) and much better quality.

If I were you I'd bail on the deal (sounds like they are giving you the option) and buy it from a different dealership. They know they got you by the balls so they don't care anymore. Threaten to walk away from the deal and watch the price magically decrease.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Forget about threatening. Just bail. If they're not gonna screw you on this, they'll find something else to screw with.

I'd just go find another dealer who isn't going to play mind games.

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Do you like to gamble? Try bluffing and say Sherwood Toyota in Edmonton is willing to honour xyz price.

Sherwood Toyota sold 173 new cars last month. No other Toyota dealer in AB came close (usually Country Hills and Southe Pointe are kings in AB, but Sherwood is starting to make noise).

Also, have you shopped in Edmonton? Dealers in Edmonton are much more aggressive and will actually negotiate. This is true for most makes.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    So earlier in this thread, I recommended escalating the situation to the GM or higher. Have you done so?
    If the guy who is fucking you over is doing it repeatedly, you would be silly to expect any differently if you are trying to convince the same guy to change. Talk to his boss?
    I will try this evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Standard dealer horseshit. Next they will 'forget' charging you for undercoating.

Promised in Sept, now available in Jan. wow.

Time to walk and try again elsewhere. I would even recommend leaving the city.
    This is actually an Edmonton dealer, though I wish I did go with Drayton Valley as they seem most honest in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    $500+ for a block heater? They could at least throw in some lube. Block heaters are commonly free or thrown in as part of the deal. Don't pay them for it at all. If they want to put it on the invoice, make sure it comes out of their end. Same deal with any admin fees, key replacement fees, glass etching fee, etc. You should not be paying a cent for those.

And that mat they offered you in March MAYBE costs the dealership $20. If you want mats, aftermarket ones are cheaper (than dealership retail) and much better quality.

If I were you I'd bail on the deal (sounds like they are giving you the option) and buy it from a different dealership. They know they got you by the balls so they don't care anymore. Threaten to walk away from the deal and watch the price magically decrease.
    He referred to Toyota's website where it shows $563 for the block heater in the build and it says it is included in all vehicles sold in AB.

Anyways, I sent an angry email shortly after my updated post here and he got back to me saying they will look for another vehicle for me ASAP without a block heater. So essentially they're gonna give up the vehicle to the next person in line and I'd be back in the queue for who knows how long.

They're certainly not afraid to lose my business as they did offer to return my deposit in full back when I made a big stink about the $700. I did explore options with other dealerships but they told me its better off to just wait it out with this dealership because if I jumped ship I would be at the back of the line again anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NRGie View Post
    Do you like to gamble? Try bluffing and say Sherwood Toyota in Edmonton is willing to honour xyz price.

Sherwood Toyota sold 173 new cars last month. No other Toyota dealer in AB came close (usually Country Hills and Southe Pointe are kings in AB, but Sherwood is starting to make noise).

Also, have you shopped in Edmonton? Dealers in Edmonton are much more aggressive and will actually negotiate. This is true for most makes.
    This is actually an Edmonton dealer. Sherwood's price was pretty good but not as good as the price that I had negotiated with this particular dealer.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don’t care how good the car is, I’d walk.

To quote another thread this stinks from the beginning, Plenty of Fish in the sea.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by gyu View Post
    He referred to Toyota's website where it shows $563 for the block heater in the build and it says it is included in all vehicles sold in AB.

Anyways, I sent an angry email shortly after my updated post here and he got back to me saying they will look for another vehicle for me ASAP without a block heater. So essentially they're gonna give up the vehicle to the next person in line and I'd be back in the queue for who knows how long.

They're certainly not afraid to lose my business as they did offer to return my deposit in full back when I made a big stink about the $700. I did explore options with other dealerships but they told me its better off to just wait it out with this dealership because if I jumped ship I would be at the back of the line again anyways.
    Take your money and run is what I would do - if they are giving you an out, take it and try find a dealer who isn't going to screw you at every turn. No vehicle is worth getting treated like garbage IMHO - especially since that is exactly what is going to happen if you have any post-purchase issues.

Also, their website showing an absurd cost of a block heater does not mean that's what it's worth haha - I've never bought a car in my life without getting it for free. They are feeding you more BS.

My Ride

gyu, this isn't meant as a jab at you, but do you find yourself to be a good haggler? It's okay if you're not, but the thing is most dealers prey on crap like this and they sense this a mile away.

I would recommend you try to be ready to come at different approaches when you escalate this up or else take your deposit back and go elsewhere and at least hopefully get a better experience. Mentally it sucks to own a vehicles knowing it was sold by the same people who gave you that bad experience.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Take your money and run is what I would do - if they are giving you an out, take it and try find a dealer who isn't going to screw you at every turn. No vehicle is worth getting treated like garbage IMHO - especially since that is exactly what is going to happen if you have any post-purchase issues.

Also, their website showing an absurd cost of a block heater does not mean that's what it's worth haha - I've never bought a car in my life without getting it for free. They are feeding you more BS.
    Unfortunately competition is lacking for the Rav4 hybrid so alternatives are limited, there's the Ford Escape hybrid and that's about it. CR-V hybrid won't release till maybe Fall 2020. And the Rav4 hybrid is better than its gas powered CUV competitors

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    gyu, this isn't meant as a jab at you, but do you find yourself to be a good haggler? It's okay if you're not, but the thing is most dealers prey on crap like this and they sense this a mile away.

I would recommend you try to be ready to come at different approaches when you escalate this up or else take your deposit back and go elsewhere and at least hopefully get a better experience. Mentally it sucks to own a vehicles knowing it was sold by the same people who gave you that bad experience.
    I would like to think I'm a decent haggler as many dealers were not willing to budge on MSRP (I negotiated a deal about 1.5% above dealer cost) and in the US many dealers are even selling well above MSRP due to the supply-demand. Normally I would have walked long ago, the only reason I haven't is the lack of alternatives for CUV hybrids and just having to wait several more months if I went to another Toyota.

what does your paperwork say in regards to the purchase? Is it not iron clad in regards to the purchase? You wouldn't think they could be changing things so easily. If their able to change things then I'd assume you'd be able to as well?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Last time I bought a car the exact vehicle itself wasn’t finalized but all the prices that were signed upon were honoured.

It was just a sales sheet without the vin but the List of Options and costs all listed.

If the car came back costing the dealer more that was their cost to eat, that was made clear to them.

OP is being taken for a ride, and they are going to win because he wants the car too much.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Quote Originally Posted by gyu View Post
    Unfortunately competition is lacking for the Rav4 hybrid so alternatives are limited, there's the Ford Escape hybrid and that's about it. CR-V hybrid won't release till maybe Fall 2020. And the Rav4 hybrid is better than its gas powered CUV competitors
    CRV Hybrid is not coming to Canada until 2022.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast