Quantcast
What to do with my investments? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with my investments?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for all the info guys. I tend to not think about the future too much and always presume things will remain the same, which is obviously isn't usually the case. I guess I take the approach of dealing with the issue when it comes, and not really plan for it.

Think in the mean time I will move my stuff to QT or WealthSimple Invest (separate from their main product) as both allow you to buy ETFs for free.

I really don't like to manage things, so would standard WealthSimple not be a very good idea? Seems like over $100k in management the fee is .4% which isn't that big, and gives me some additional benefits like Airport lounge access, never used them but I travel lots and would use it if I had that benefit.

My main question regarding ETFs is the whole re-balancing thing. If I invest into the few ETFs mentioned here directly myself, do I have to "re-balance"? I understand the concept of re-balancing I think, but not sure how that applies to ETF? I mainly want to buy into something and forget it, check it once every few months type of approach.
    The all-in-one ETFs mentioned earlier get re-balanced within the funds, so you dont need to do it. It's the primary benefit of going to the one ETF

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

My main question regarding ETFs is the whole re-balancing thing. If I invest into the few ETFs mentioned here directly myself, do I have to "re-balance"? I understand the concept of re-balancing I think, but not sure how that applies to ETF? I mainly want to buy into something and forget it, check it once every few months type of approach.
    If you get an all in one ETF (like VGRO/VBAL/etc.), the no. Otherwise, yes.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I’ve been watching vforx and vtthx, do I have to buy these straight though vanguard??

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    I’ve been watching vforx and vtthx, do I have to buy these straight though vanguard??
    Those are American MFs, you can't buy them up here.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I was liking the style of those, that’s to bad. Do we have something similar up here??

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    I was liking the style of those, that’s to bad. Do we have something similar up here??
    Blackrock has them, they call them lifepath funds. My company offers them in our employee retirement plan. I'm guessing you should be able to buy those your mutual fund broker if you'd like.

Only for institutional investors.

My Ride
    X5

Name:  SparklingOfficialAtlasmoth-size_restricted.gif
Views: 521
Size:  1.36 MB

O rly?
    Last edited by Marsh; 10-22-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: double

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Hi Peeps,

So I am thinking of doing this and just want to do a sanity check before I pull the trigger.

1. Open 2x Questtrade accounts for LIRA and RRSP
    2. Initiate the transfer out of RBC through Questtrade. I presume they will initially transfer into the accounts as cash, so I can do what I please with them later, while still being within the RRSP or LIRA realm and thus counting as a transfer and not a withdrawal?
    3. Take all funds in RRSP and buy VGRO ETFs for free.
    4. Take all funds in LIRA and buy VBAL for free.
    5. Leave everything alone for the next 30 years and ride the waves.

Does this seem plausible? Any reason not to drop all funds from each account time into just one ETF? I did some more reading about these vanguard ETFs and seems they all just get balanced in the background, so really you just choose between VCNS\VBAL\VGRO based on your risk tolerance. If I am happy with VGRO for all my RRSP for example, any issue just buying it all that way? I read some couch potato stuff and guess before you had to buy multiple individual ETFs but with Vanguard stuff it's no longer really necessary.

Just trying to make sure that my plan isn't insane. Thanks

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've started listing to a bunch of the Couch Potato podcasts (thank you Beyond) and what they've outlined is essentially what you've got planned. From what I've surmised this far, actually holding them through the thick and thin will be the hardest part. As the decades go on, you may wish to go into progressively more conservative portfolios but that's very personal.

I actually just transferred all my stuff out and bought VRGO through QT as well. Mind you, I don't have much RRSP money these days anyways but I really like the set it n' forget appeal of VRGO without the 2.4% MER I was paying previously.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I've been thinking about this too. Its almost like it's too good to be true. That's why I'm nervous

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    I've been thinking about this too. Its almost like it's too good to be true. That's why I'm nervous
    What makes you nervous?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Thinking about it, I don't really know. I suppose it's just that I've been saving for a long time and am nervous about change, I suppose. Plus the big banks have me brainwashed that they must be worth the 2% my mutual funds cost

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

2% is still high but here's the thing. Are the banks (ie: actually qualified person) helping you plan your short and long term goals, assessing your risk changes, various tax questions and keeping you on track? Or selling you mutual funds and never speaking with you again?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Which mutual funds are you invested in?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    2% is still high but here's the thing. Are the banks (ie: actually qualified person) helping you plan your short and long term goals, assessing your risk changes, various tax questions and keeping you on track? Or selling you mutual funds and never speaking with you again?
    Yep, Money gets deposited weekly and that's about all. I did just have a meeting where I switched to a "newer" mutual fund(s). I think it was just because it was similar to what I was previously in and a bit cheeper. (And "newer" )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Which mutual funds are you invested in?
    Scotia Aria build premium portfolio and Scotia Aria grow premium portfolio. Called something like that

Little over 2% MER on that first one, what a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Peeps,

So I am thinking of doing this and just want to do a sanity check before I pull the trigger.

1. Open 2x Questtrade accounts for LIRA and RRSP
    2. Initiate the transfer out of RBC through Questtrade. I presume they will initially transfer into the accounts as cash, so I can do what I please with them later, while still being within the RRSP or LIRA realm and thus counting as a transfer and not a withdrawal?
    3. Take all funds in RRSP and buy VGRO ETFs for free.
    4. Take all funds in LIRA and buy VBAL for free.
    5. Leave everything alone for the next 30 years and ride the waves.

Does this seem plausible? Any reason not to drop all funds from each account time into just one ETF? I did some more reading about these vanguard ETFs and seems they all just get balanced in the background, so really you just choose between VCNS\VBAL\VGRO based on your risk tolerance. If I am happy with VGRO for all my RRSP for example, any issue just buying it all that way? I read some couch potato stuff and guess before you had to buy multiple individual ETFs but with Vanguard stuff it's no longer really necessary.

Just trying to make sure that my plan isn't insane. Thanks
    Terrible plan, buy TQQQ and SQQQ instead

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Thinking about it, I don't really know. I suppose it's just that I've been saving for a long time and am nervous about change, I suppose. Plus the big banks have me brainwashed that they must be worth the 2% my mutual funds cost
    Think of the 2% in terms of returns.

If your "professional" account manager fiddles with your asset allocation and nabs a 5% return and the bland ETF manages a 3.5% return .... you've still lost. And if they both get the same return? You lose a lot more.

Here's a fun math example. Let's say you have 10k right now and can save 1k every month for 25 years.

ETF with 5% return = 616, 225$ in the end
    Bank mutual fund (5% return but minus 2% MER = 3% return) = 462,344$

That's 154 thousand dollars in lost interest if they both get the same yield but you lose 2% to fees. Or in beyond terms that is 6.5 Velosters you could have posted threads about.

Edit: Another thing people don't realize is for a 2% MER that doesn't mean you give up 2% of your gains, it means you lose a full 2% off your investment. So if your fund returns 6% on the year, you lose 2% of that (So you net 4% gain). So actually 33% of your gains wiped out in management fees.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 11-14-2019 at 11:49 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ok here's one, im on a viridian account with Raymond James, so they have a flat 'rate' per month. Looks to be around 1.09%. Only really at RJ since my folks are there

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

An easy fee calculator found here:

https://larrybates.ca/t-rex-score/
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast