Quantcast
What to do with my investments? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with my investments?

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    VGRO/XGRO/ZGRO are the way to go for 98% of us.
    Out of those 3, which would be a decent "higher risk" one for my kids (18 month old and 7 year old) that I can just put money into and forget? I'm ok taking on a bit more risk out of the 3 or are all 3 of them pretty much the same?

They're all the same.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Like suntan says, they're all roughly the same with a 80/20 asset allocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Out of those 3, which would be a decent "higher risk" one for my kids (18 month old and 7 year old) that I can just put money into and forget? I'm ok taking on a bit more risk out of the 3 or are all 3 of them pretty much the same?
    Those are basically the same funds, but Vanguard does have similar products with varying proportions of stocks/bonds. These are all very low risk on the spectrum, but:

VGRO (growth) - highest risk
    VBAL (balanced) - bit lower risk
    VCNS (conservative) - lower risk

Most people probably want VGRO if you're relatively young and want a set it and forget it place to put money.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Where does one learn about these things? They are sold by who? They aren't held by your typical bank or manulife guy I assume? How do you run the numbers to find out if it makes sense to switch a fund, deal with any costs, etc. if they are all self managed and you're not a financial guy? So many questions.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Where does one learn about these things? They are sold by who? They aren't held by your typical bank or manulife guy I assume? How do you run the numbers to find out if it makes sense to switch a fund, deal with any costs, etc. if they are all self managed and you're not a financial guy? So many questions.
    The whole point is that there IS no management. You just buy it and it sits there.

ETFs are essentially just stocks. You buy them using a brokerage account either from your bank (BMO investorline, RBC Direct, etc) or from a dedicated online brokerage (Questrade, Wealth Simple, etc).

If you've purchased stocks before it should be pretty straight forward to pick up, but if you've never done that then check out investopedia to learn and go into your bank to set up a trading account. Trading accounts can be either RRSP, TFSA, or cash (fully taxable).

If you have a bunch of mutual funds and want to switch to ETFs then essentially you would be selling them (money would still be considered nontaxable RRSP/TFSA if applicable) and then transferring the funds to a brokerage and then buy the ETFs in there.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I highly recommend the Canadian Couch Potato podcast series. Listen to all the episodes (26 I think) and that will give you a solid foundation.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

You buy shares of them just like a stock through the normal channels, and you can hold them in a private brokerage like Questrade or a self-directed account through a bank. I own VGRO and other ETFs in multiple Questrade accounts as well as RBC Direct Investing accounts.

The banks typically offer identical or near-identical products, but with a ~2.5-3.0% MER instead of ~0.25%, which highlights the need to do your own due diligence before ever doing anything a bank recommends.

Something like VGRO is basically a safe "set it and forget it" product for people who don't want to be overly active with their RRSPs or other investments or who don't know a lot about investing - which is most people.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So Vanguard lists 0.22% management fee. Tangerine mutual fund lists 1.07%. And some other ones I looked at are around 2%.

How is vanguard so low? Are there other fees hidden or what?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    So Vanguard lists 0.22% management fee. Tangerine mutual fund lists 1.07%. And some other ones I looked at are around 2%.

Because Mutual funds are highway robbery
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Nothing hidden, you're simply getting ripped off buying those other funds. Lots of people don't know any better, so when their free consultation with a 'financial advisor' at their bank branch recommends them high MER funds to maximize their own commission, people agree to it.

Even better, Questrade doesn't charge a commission when you buy North American ETFs - banks are usually $10/transaction.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Because passively-managed mutual funds are highway robbery. If you're going to own mutual funds, at least let them be actively managed with a propsectus beyond "we are going to track the Canadian TSX/60 index".

My Ride
    ute

Because passively-managed mutual funds are highway robbery. If you're going to own mutual funds, at least let them be actively managed with a propsectus beyond "we are going to track the Canadian TSX/60 index".
    I think I would still rather have a passively managed mutual fund, lol

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think I would still rather have a passively managed mutual fund, lol
    lol I get what you're saying. My point is that if you are going to choose the more expensive thing, make sure it's not the more expensive version of the same thing.

My Ride
    ute

lol I get what you're saying. My point is that if you are going to choose the more expensive thing, make sure it's not the more expensive version of the same thing.
    ya, i was just joking, so i shouldnt confuse the good advice you are giving,

Based on the Crypto Challenge, I would consider taking all financial advice from ExtraSlow and purchase Dogecoin.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/406...light=Dogecoin

My Ride
    '04 E46 330ci ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Yes, I would just drop it into an ETF portfolio. You can get your holdings down to 2, 3 or even 1 ETF nowadays. Make sure you know how to track your ACB and do so. At $200M you likely aren't going to be on the radar of the next level up of available asset managers. You're stuck on the low yield equities and fixed income treadmill that probably will only see modest returns for the foreseeable future.

The demarcation line can vary depending on who you are dealing with, but generally it's about $1MM in investments (not $1MM in net worth including home equity, etc). At $1MM then you can usually get your investment to a Portfolio Management firm. These are guys that run their own portfolios, usually in one or more investment pools. The advantage here is that they can put you into an alternative asset pool (often RE development or PE type activities). Some of these PMs manage their own alternative asset activities , sometimes they contract them out by buying into other pools. So you would then have a mix of equities, fixed income and an alternative asset pool - the idea being you get a better yield with the additional risk of the alternative assets. These types of PM firms usually charge LESS per dollar of AUM than other investment advisors and the price goes down as your AUM goes up (other than the extra fees they take on managing alternative assets if they do that).

The extra cost to HNW individuals usually comes in all of the other services that they ask for to ensure they balls are sufficiently tickled. The banks have their private banking services which basically is a full suite of investment products (alternative, and otherwise), plus a full suite of estate planning, banking services, etc. the PM firms mentioned above usually have some sort of Family Office type of services to do the same type of thing. Both of these options are high-fee type of things....that HNW individuals/families need or prefer. But the actual investment side isn't that costly.

TLDR: under $1MM you are limited to buying stuff from MFDA licensed mutual fund schmoes, IIROC registered investment advisors, or ETFs. Over $1MM your options expand to PMs.
    As a licensed portfolio manager in the Private Wealth space (Investment Counsel, not discretionary IIROC) with a $2M investable asset minimum, this is a pretty spot on synopsis of how it works. Portfolio Managers typically have access to different investment products, however product is never going to be the "value" any Advisor brings to the table, especially in the high net worth space. The value comes in tailoring a holistic financial plan and investment portfolio to the specific goals of the client, and helping them stick to it when the going gets tough - this is the hardest part of the profession.

For context, on a $2M portfolio my clients would pay an all in fee of between 0.70%-1.20% plus GST. On a $5M portfolio it would be ~0.50%-0.90%, depending on investment strategy. Most Private Investment Counsel (PIC) firms charge very similar rates - Mawer, PH&N, ATB PIC, BMO PIC, Scotia PIC, QV etc etc. That's an all in fee that would include financial, business succession, estate and charitable giving planning services. Like Buster mentioned, most of the fee is an Advisory Fee - the investment product costs are actually quite low (0.10-0.30%).

Buying VGRO, VBAL etc is fantastic advice, but only if you know why you're buying it and understand how it's value will fluctuate when markets decline. $200k in investable assets is a fantastic start, however the way the industry works, you're likely not going to get high level advice or proactive contact from an Advisor servicing that segment of the market.

@eblend - you're in fantastic shape. Keep it up!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 91_Integz View Post
    Buying VGRO, VBAL etc is fantastic advice, but only if you know why you're buying it and understand how it's value will fluctuate when markets decline.

Is that anything drastically different than how mutual funds fluctuate when markets decline? Shouldn't nearly anyone, even the most hands off, have a basic understanding of funds moving up/down or am I misunderstanding?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Is that anything drastically different than how mutual funds fluctuate when markets decline? Shouldn't nearly anyone, even the most hands off, have a basic understanding of funds moving up/down or am I misunderstanding?
    I mean... lots of people think GIC’s are smart long term investments.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast