Quantcast
What to do with my investments? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with my investments?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default What to do with my investments?

Hi guys,

So a while ago I was with TD with one of the guys here, but since I wasn't working downtown anymore, I didn't want to go downtown anymore to meet up with him. I switched to RBC which was right close to my house and my work RRSP was with them, but after I transferred all my funds, it went silent pretty much. Don't think I have heard from the guy for like 2 years now. Anyways, I am thinking of pulling my money out of RBC and doing investments myself. I still have my empty WealthSimple account and thinking of moving money back into that.

Looking for advise on what's best to do? It's about $200k split between a LIRA and RRSP, so trying to decide on what's best. Sounds like EFT is the way to go, but looking for all opinions.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Try not to trigger any tax by not properly rolling it over.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

ETF, set and forget.

Or, put the legwork in and build yourself a good dividend portfolio.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ETF, set and forget.

Or, put the legwork in and build yourself a good dividend portfolio.
    the first will outperform the second over the long run

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

People do banking / investing in person?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

There's gotta be a joke in here about GOnSHO and World Financial Group, but it's not coming to me.

+1 for ETFs.

While we're on the subject, I'm curious: what are peoples opinions on the threshold at which you abandon the ETF set it and forget it method, and shift to a HNW advisor? $1MM? $3MM? $10MM?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think OP needs to understand his goals and tolerances. We had one member on here throw his money into ETF's and then freak and out withdraw everything after they went down. He was SHOCKED that there was no active management happening. ETF's are great, but you need to understand what you are buying.

As for switching to High Net Worth (HNW) advisers, here's my opinion: If an investment strategy works for $100k, it works for $1 million, $5 million and beyond. However, there are sometimes additional services that people place value on with these advisors. Just keep in mind, the services aren't free, they are actually incredibly expensive. Banks make massive money on HNW individuals, so you need to be comfortable with them making huge profit off of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think the only + for specialized services for HNW would be access too investing opportunities not otherwise available easily to the public. Trying to meet the requirements of a “sophisticated investor” investing in things without detailed prospectuses etc. If that appeals to you.

These days a million bucks is nothing, I say go HNW/private if you have 10+ Or have special needs that the extra attention pays dividends for you.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think the majority of those investments are no better than anything else. Some are MUCH worse and the disclosure is sometimes poor.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Like I said. If that appeals to you.

fact.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I like the idea of investing in MICs... private lending is the fastest growing area of lending and there are some well ran MICs in Canada that give pretty good returns for something so secured (housing market would have to fall by over 20% before the first dollar is even lost)

My Ride
    V8s

I think the only + for specialized services for HNW would be access too investing opportunities not otherwise available easily to the public. .
    Yes, this is the differentiator.

And also yes, fees associated with HNW firms are pretty outrageous.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If an investment strategy works for $100k, it works for $1 million, $5 million and beyond.
    No, sir.

Just keep in mind, the services aren't free, they are actually incredibly expensive. Banks make massive money on HNW individuals, so you need to be comfortable with them making huge profit off of you.
    Yes, sir.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    No, sir.

Yes, sir.
    Well what do I know? I'm just some single-meat wage slave.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Hi guys,

So a while ago I was with TD with one of the guys here, but since I wasn't working downtown anymore, I didn't want to go downtown anymore to meet up with him. I switched to RBC which was right close to my house and my work RRSP was with them, but after I transferred all my funds, it went silent pretty much. Don't think I have heard from the guy for like 2 years now. Anyways, I am thinking of pulling my money out of RBC and doing investments myself. I still have my empty WealthSimple account and thinking of moving money back into that.

Looking for advise on what's best to do? It's about $200k split between a LIRA and RRSP, so trying to decide on what's best. Sounds like EFT is the way to go, but looking for all opinions.
    Yes, I would just drop it into an ETF portfolio. You can get your holdings down to 2, 3 or even 1 ETF nowadays. Make sure you know how to track your ACB and do so. At $200M you likely aren't going to be on the radar of the next level up of available asset managers. You're stuck on the low yield equities and fixed income treadmill that probably will only see modest returns for the foreseeable future.

The demarcation line can vary depending on who you are dealing with, but generally it's about $1MM in investments (not $1MM in net worth including home equity, etc). At $1MM then you can usually get your investment to a Portfolio Management firm. These are guys that run their own portfolios, usually in one or more investment pools. The advantage here is that they can put you into an alternative asset pool (often RE development or PE type activities). Some of these PMs manage their own alternative asset activities , sometimes they contract them out by buying into other pools. So you would then have a mix of equities, fixed income and an alternative asset pool - the idea being you get a better yield with the additional risk of the alternative assets. These types of PM firms usually charge LESS per dollar of AUM than other investment advisors and the price goes down as your AUM goes up (other than the extra fees they take on managing alternative assets if they do that).

The extra cost to HNW individuals usually comes in all of the other services that they ask for to ensure they balls are sufficiently tickled. The banks have their private banking services which basically is a full suite of investment products (alternative, and otherwise), plus a full suite of estate planning, banking services, etc. the PM firms mentioned above usually have some sort of Family Office type of services to do the same type of thing. Both of these options are high-fee type of things....that HNW individuals/families need or prefer. But the actual investment side isn't that costly.

TLDR: under $1MM you are limited to buying stuff from MFDA licensed mutual fund schmoes, IIROC registered investment advisors, or ETFs. Over $1MM your options expand to PMs.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Thanks everyone. I am pretty low risk, and although my existing crap with RBC and TD does make some money, they charge a couple of grand a year, which seems kind of lame. I was with Wealthsimple for a short period of time before as well for one of my accounts, but didn't like when I was losing money, but since then I have learned to ignore the investments and just let the go up and down on their own without watching them every day. I like the idea of not paying attention while making some money. I think my initial scare was due to USD/CAD fluctuations. There is no way to avoid this fluctuation right, if I want to invest in EFTs that have international assets? I should mention that all my investment stuff is for retirement, so like 30 years out, I have enough $$ for day to day living.

My Ride
    ute

Yes, ignore the day to day, even the year to year fluctuations if that is your time horizon.

FX fluctuations should also be ignored.

Neither of those factors are within your control.

Just do a basic ETF portfolio, and when you get to $1MM in investments, then start to see if a PM or other money manager is worth it.

https://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios/

My Ride

Oh snap! Buster just dropped more initialisms than the DJI after a POTUS tweet.

My Ride

Well what do I know? I'm just some single-meat wage slave.
    You will always be a double meater to me.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Oh snap! Buster just dropped more initialisms than the DJI after a POTUS tweet.
    Is my secret superpower

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast