Quantcast
Greta coming to Alberta. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Greta coming to Alberta.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by SportEL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the same day Greta gave her self-righteous speech, a group of 500 Climate scientists sent a letter to the UN saying there is no climate emergency, and that there is no cause for panic and alarm, and they strongly oppose the harmful and unrealistic net zero CO2 policy for 2050.. They said there is no statistical evidence that global warming is intensifying huricanes, floods, drought, and other natural distaters or making them more frequent, and that CO2 mitigation measure ame as damaging as they are costly. They also criticized the climate models as being immature and that current climate polices undermine the economic system and put the lives at risk in countries who are denied access to affordable continuous energy.
    You read a climate denial website and assumed it was true?? There were no climate scientists on that list, and all six of their claims are lies. Look into it? It's a fraud, it's all over the internet.

Here ya go. Remember, even it were true, there are 50,000+ real scientists that say otherwise.
    https://climatefeedback.org/evaluati...imate-science/
    Last edited by 04Terminator; 10-15-2019 at 01:09 AM.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    4x4

^x^v

After our daughter of fifteen years of age was moved to tears by the speech of Greta Thunberg at the UN the other day, she became angry with our generation “who had been doing nothing for thirty years.”

So, we decided to help her prevent what the girl on TV announced of “massive eradication and the disappearance of entire ecosystems.”

We are now committed to give our daughter a future again, by doing our part to help cool the planet four degrees.

From now on she will go to school on a bicycle, because driving her by car costs fuel, and fuel puts emissions into the atmosphere. Of course it will be winter soon and then she will want to go by bus, but only as long as it is a diesel bus.

Somehow, that does not seem to be conducive to ‘helping the Climate’.

Of course, she is now asking for an electric bicycle, but we have shown her the devastation caused to the areas of the planet as a result of mining for the extraction of Lithium and other minerals used to make batteries for electric bicycles, so she will be pedaling, or walking. Which will not harm her, or the planet. We used to cycle and walk to school too.

Since the girl on TV demanded “we need to get rid of our dependency on fossil fuels” and our daughter agreed with her, we have disconnected the heat vent in her room. The temperature is now dropping to twelve degrees in the evening, and will drop below freezing in the winter, we have promised to buy her an extra sweater, hat, tights, gloves and a blanket.

For the same reason we have decided that from now on she only takes a cold shower. She will wash her clothes by hand, with a wooden washboard, because the washing machine is simply a power consumer and since the dryer uses natural gas, she will hang her clothes on the clothes line to dry.

Speaking of clothes, the ones that she currently has are all synthetic, so made from petroleum. Therefore on Monday, we will bring all her designer clothing to the secondhand shop.

We have found an eco store where the only clothing they sell is made from undyed and unbleached linen, wool and jute.

It shouldn’t matter that it looks good on her, or that she is going to be laughed at, dressing in colorless, bland clothes and without a wireless bra, but that is the price she has to pay for the benefit of The Climate.

Cotton is out of the question, as it comes from distant lands and pesticides are used for it. Very bad for the environment.

We just saw on her Instagram that she’s pretty angry with us. This was not our intention.

From now on, at 7 p.m. we will turn off the WiFi and we will only switch it on again the next day after dinner for two hours. In this way we will save on electricity, so she is not bothered by electro-stress and will be totally isolated from the outside world. This way, she can concentrate solely on her homework. At eleven o’clock in the evening we will pull the breaker to shut the power off to her room, so she knows that dark is really dark. That will save a lot of CO2.

She will no longer be participating in winter sports to ski lodges and resorts, nor will she be going on anymore vacations with us, because our vacation destinations are practically inaccessible by bicycle.

Since our daughter fully agrees with the girl on TV that the CO2 emissions and footprints of her great-grandparents are to blame for ‘killing our planet’, what all this simply means, is that she also has to live like her great-grandparents and they never had a holiday, a car or even a bicycle.

We haven’t talked about the carbon footprint of food yet.

Zero CO2 footprint means no meat, no fish and no poultry, but also no meat substitutes that are based on soy (after all, that grows in farmers fields, that use machinery to harvest the beans, trucks to transport to the processing plants, where more energy is used, then trucked to the packaging/canning plants, and trucked once again to the stores) and also no imported food, because that has a negative ecological effect. And absolutely no chocolate from Africa, no coffee from South America and no tea from Asia.

Only homegrown potatoes, vegetables and fruit that have been grown in local cold soil, because greenhouses run on boilers, piped in CO2 and artificial light. Apparently, these things are also bad for The Climate. We will teach her how to grow her own food.

Bread is still possible, but butter, milk, cheese and yogurt, cottage cheese and cream come from cows and they emit CO2. No more margarine and no oils will be used for the frying pan, because that fat is palm oil from plantations in Borneo where rain forests first grew.

No ice cream in the summer. No soft drinks and no energy drinks, as the bubbles are CO2. She wanted to lose some pounds, well, this will help her achieve that goal too.

We will also ban all plastic, because it comes from chemical factories. Everything made of steel and aluminum must also be removed. Have you ever seen the amount of energy a blast furnace consumes or an aluminum smelter? Uber bad for the climate!

We will replace her 9600 coil, memory foam pillow top mattress, with a jute bag filled with straw,with a horse hair pillow.

And finally, she will no longer be using makeup, soap, shampoo, cream, lotion, conditioner, toothpaste and medication. Her sanitary napkins will be replaced with pads made of linen, that she can wash by hand, with her wooden washboard, just like her female ancestors did before climate change made her angry at us for destroying her future.

In this way we will help her to do her part to prevent mass extinction, water levels rising and the disappearance of entire ecosystems.

If she truly believes she wants to walk the talk of the girl on TV, she will gladly accept and happily embrace her new way of life.

Personally I think she is coming at least in part to see with her own eyes the oilsands. And to anyone coming from the outside, its going to look really really bad. Forget the after-effects of carbon. The extent to which we are going to get the carbon in the first place before its even used is quite frightening.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Personally I think she is coming at least in part to see with her own eyes the oilsands. And to anyone coming from the outside, its going to look really really bad. Forget the after-effects of carbon. The extent to which we are going to get the carbon in the first place before its even used is quite frightening.
    Is it really any more frightening than any other natural resource that humans remove from the earth (rare metals extraction) or that humans manage (poultry/pig barns and beef feedlots) to be processed into something else?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    - - - Updated - - -
    really? why are you arguing with people who has a different opinion than you on a forum then? isnt that what a forum is for? perhaps you should take a chill pill.
    Yes, really. It's one thing to speak your mind about someone and another thing entirely to denigrate yourself to referring to people as little bitches/etc.

If you can't see the difference then you are part of the fucking problem.

Her message, while important, is being projected terribly and she has nothing to gain by coming here. I suppose if I had said "fuck that dumb bitch for even thinking about coming here" that would have been just kosher for you, eh?

BTW, I take 3 chill pills every morning. If you think flaming vitriol towards 16 year olds is appropriate, then you ought to consider doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Is it really any more frightening than any other natural resource that humans remove from the earth (rare metals extraction) or that humans manage (poultry/pig barns and beef feedlots) to be processed into something else?
    Rare earths would probably be pretty frightening, as well as livestock yes. But because of scale, carbon tends to be the mining that is scariest of all because of raw tonnage. They literally take down mountains for a 1 meter coal seam, and then jump to the next mountain to topple.

China of course, is the scariest. 3.7 Billion tons of coal recovered every year - and that's the final product, not how much waste rock they had to pulverize to get to it. Its worthy of note that like the USA with oil, China has a strategic coal reserve. Does China actually need 100 Billion ton coal reserve? It actually is a totally inconceivable amount to any scale of measure by human standards unless you measure it from space. BTW: I'd rather have a ton of nickels (15 grams per citizen is what is added to the US "reserve")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_in_China Scariest part of all, you just know it will *all* eventually be burned. If it takes 100 million kilograms of burnable fuel to play a round of golf on the moon - and 100 people want to do it, then it is definitely nowhere near enough.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-15-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

"Ethical oil" ? That's our new way of pretending it's "clean oil".

I had a good laugh at our environment guy comparing us to Russia or SA. "Ooooh, our oil is good and clean because our leaders aren't despots. "

Good grief
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    SNIP

In this way we will help her to do her part to prevent mass extinction, water levels rising and the disappearance of entire ecosystems.

If she truly believes she wants to walk the talk of the girl on TV, she will gladly accept and happily embrace her new way of life.
    That is AWESOME and is the best, direct education against the mass media stupidity that is being fueled by the negative narrative-spreading groups.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    "Ethical oil" ? That's our new way of pretending it's "clean oil".
    Compared to the dumpster fires that are SA, Iran, Russia, etc... Canadian oil is vastly cleaner.

We should absolutely be using Canadian oil as a bridge fuel as the world decouples home/structural energy from fossil fuels.

Electric airplanes and tankers won't be a thing for many decades, if ever. Plastics/etc. need petroleum.

Albertan oil should to be among the last to go.

If they ever figure out fusion power, or maybe a way to convert cosmic rays from the Sun into electricity, or close off the Bay of Fundy: Every nation that stocked up on carbon is going to look pretty retarded. Likewise if Europe or Texas/Mexico hit 50+ Celsius and bans carbon entirely: Gonna look retarded.

Never go full retard.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride

Maybe a way to convert cosmic rays from the Sun into electricity
    That's called solar power. Your calculator uses it to help you spell 8008135.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    That's called solar power. Your calculator uses it to help you spell 8008135.
    I think hes talking about more of the non-visible/higher energy bands from the Sol. -> Gamma rays, etc.

No idea if any of that is viable.... as per standard Zenflops.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Our oil is incredibly carbon intensive much more so than Saudi and a lot of Russian oil. It is 50% more carbon intensive that the North American average. It also required much more energy to process, dangerous chemicals to dilute, wastes fresh water, much more waste is produced. It is incredibly high in Sulfur, does not meet newer maritime fuel standards etc.

It is among the dirtiest oilS in the world, 2/3 s of which is also controlled by foreigners.

It's not only a felatios argument, it's also stupid because she's not a international buyer looking for a producer. Calling it "clean" because you believe our human rights record washes away the actual pollution and carbon is dishonest.

We buy oil from Saudis. We sell stuff to Saudis. They own our wheat board, our hotels. They were good enough to sell $15 billion of arms to, they buy $2billion of shit a year from us, we buy $2billon in shit from them. Good old capitalism. With people that behead journalists

Save you bs and phony outrage for some stupid Kenney supporter. You know, the guy that was working for the team that made the deal to the war criminals for the $15 billion in arms.

Sell them arms. But you know, don't buy the oil, ours is "cleaner". Good grief. Another one.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

If they ever figure out fusion power, or maybe a way to convert cosmic rays from the Sun into electricity, or close off the Bay of Fundy: Every nation that stocked up on carbon is going to look pretty retarded. Likewise if Europe or Texas/Mexico hit 50+ Celsius and bans carbon entirely: Gonna look retarded.

Never go full retard.
    I think I love you. I was with Aecom in Houston for a few months, and I can tell you the floods and heat waves are already affecting opinion, and every oil company with assets down there is planning for climate change, and pursuing government dollars for it haha. I keep telling everyone, you'll be surprised how fast Texan's will turn on the oil companies once they figure out how much they have been lied too. A couple more major floods, and It will be over quicker than people think.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    Our oil is incredibly carbon intensive much more so than Saudi and a lot of Russian oil. It is 50% more carbon intensive that the North American average. It also required much more energy to process, dangerous chemicals to dilute, wastes fresh water, much more waste is produced. It is incredibly high in Sulfur, does not meet newer maritime fuel standards etc.

It is among the dirtiest oilS in the world, 2/3 s of which is also controlled by foreigners.

It's not only a felatios argument, it's also stupid because she's not a international buyer looking for a producer. Calling it "clean" because you believe our human rights record washes away the actual pollution and carbon is dishonest.

We buy oil from Saudis. We sell stuff to Saudis. They own our wheat board, our hotels. They were good enough to sell $15 billion of arms to, they buy $2billion of shit a year from us, we buy $2billon in shit from them. Good old capitalism. With people that behead journalists

Save you bs and phony outrage for some stupid Kenney supporter. You know, the guy that was working for the team that made the deal to the war criminals for the $15 billion in arms.

Sell them arms. But you know, don't buy the oil, ours is "cleaner". Good grief. Another one.
    The larger argument being the Canada is moving to decarbonize as much as possible in ways other producers aren't. There's a larger picture there if you look at it. That picture includes things like world-class carbon capture innovations, investments in reclamation/sustainability, of course, the human rights you are so quick to devalue.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

The larger argument being the Canada is moving to decarbonize as much as possible in ways other producers aren't. There's a larger picture there if you look at it. That picture includes things like world-class carbon capture innovations, investments in reclamation/sustainability, of course, the human rights you are so quick to devalue.
    Good luck getting buy in from someone who has their mind deadset on evil dirty oil.

Sigh:

https://eralberta.ca/projects/succes...logy-at-husky/
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

"Moving to" ? It's among the dirtiest in the world currently. Will it end up less carbon intensive than North American average? What about dilbit and sulfur and tailing ponds , and fresh water?

We'll talk when we start "moving" and clean up to at least average levels. Right now there is nothing clean about our oil.

As for carbon capture. That is not a long term viable strategy. Injecting c02 deep into the ground is just a delay tactic, making it someone else's problem when it inevitably leaks. It's immoral then because it confuses small minds into thinking its ok to continue to create CO2. It's a "feel good" move that allows the problem to continue.

And the other polutants? Wasted fresh water? Chemical leaks into rivers causing even genetic damage?
    Last edited by 04Terminator; 10-15-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    fairlady tt

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    She's not all knowing, or even pretends to be. She just knows that the environment is getting fucked over in the name of profit and she isn't wrong. Even if you completely ignore climate change, we're still ruining the planet with our waste because it isn't economical to actually get rid of it properly. Let alone all the other ways we're raping the earth.
    She's not all knowing, or even pretends to be. She just knows that the environment is getting fucked over in the name of profit and she isn't wrong. Even if you completely ignore climate change, we're still ruining the planet with our waste because it isn't economical to actually get rid of it properly. Let alone all the other ways we're raping the earth.
    Im gonna quote this a couple of times in a row so it can be heard in the back.

The amount of hate directed toward Greta is hilarious. It really shows how ready people are to act tough in forums and comment sections on the internet.

Here's a thought: fucking ignore her if she bothers you. Don't give her a platform. Just... turn the shit off.

I love the fake outrage, though. "Fuck this little bitch" some of you people need a chill pill.
    haha no kidding. it's amazing how a 16 year old girl can cause so many grown adults to lose their shit.

here's a suggestion, why not have some oil companies show her how clean our operations are here? Show her some reclaimed land, carbon capture facilities, co-generation stuff, maybe turn it into a positive thing instead of "fuck this little cunt, stay out of my province" attitude

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    haha no kidding. it's amazing how a 16 year old girl can cause so many grown adults to lose their shit.

here's a suggestion, why not have some oil companies show her how clean our operations are here? Show her some reclaimed land, carbon capture facilities, co-generation stuff, maybe turn it into a positive thing instead of "fuck this little cunt, stay out of my province" attitude
    I’m fully on board with that.

Problem is... how much of it will she actually grasp? We’re talking about the equivalent of a grade 11 student, I’m totally condescending right now because she’s 16. Can she grasp? I doubt it.

The problem is adults see her as a challenge, but she’s challenging the state of things and leaders, not the scientists or technical experts.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast