Quantcast
Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat. - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

So when you say the SR+ range could drop by like 50%.. do yo mean like you can fully charge it in the garage (lets say heated attached) and system shows 400km range, but as soon as you drive around in -20C weather for say 30 mins, the range will just go down twice as fast??

When you are driving in -20C or colder, your cabin heater runs between 4.8KW to 7KW. Each heated seat runs at about 500 watts.

That is what eats into your range. If you are out long enough and it is cold enough, the Model 3 and Y run the motors inefficiently to heat the battery. Battery temp has to drop below -7 for that to happen.

Pre-heating the car will help with all of that.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I think the computer is constantly updating the range estimate, so if you are always driving around with the heat on, seat heaters, winter tires etc. in the winter it may not show you the optimal claimed range in your garage. I guess I'll find out. There's also a lot of thermal mass in the battery, so if you keep it in a heated garage it should need less battery heating and would stay warmer during a drive starting from the garage.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    When you are driving in -20C or colder, your cabin heater runs between 4.8KW to 7KW. Each heated seat runs at about 500 watts.

That is what eats into your range. If you are out long enough and it is cold enough, the Model 3 and Y run the motors inefficiently to heat the battery. Battery temp has to drop below -7 for that to happen.

Pre-heating the car will help with all of that.
    You sound like a Tesla fanboi now. What happened? Are you Pro-OTA updates now? *gasp*
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    I think the computer is constantly updating the range estimate, so if you are always driving around with the heat on, seat heaters, winter tires etc. in the winter it may not show you the optimal claimed range in your garage. I guess I'll find out. There's also a lot of thermal mass in the battery, so if you keep it in a heated garage it should need less battery heating and would stay warmer during a drive starting from the garage.
    That range is never right. You have to drive at the EPA rate which is 140wh / km for the SR+. That's really hard to do. The range on the energy graph is more accurate and updates near real time.

I drove to Edmonton and back yesterday. My EPA rating on the performance is 160wh /km. At 120km/h, I was burning at 220wh / km all the way to Edmonton. I set my cabin at 21 and leave it. No seat heaters were needed yesterday.

The drive back was at 130km/h (that's what traffic was moving at) and there was a quartering head wind. Burn rate was 240-250wh / km. When I left Edmonton, it said that to make it all the way home, I needed to stay below 105km/h.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    hah I don't want to test drive something I can't afford, and have that constant reminder that life could be so much more as I drive the standard 3.
    Don't forget, electricity costs significantly less than gas to get the equivalent mileage out of your ICE car. At least that's how I justified purchasing my Performance 3. I spent $300+/month previously filling up with 94-oct on my Audi S4 (stage 2 tuned). The Perf 3 is a full 1.0s faster in the 1/4 than the S4 (at our elevation anyway), yet it only costs me on average $30-$40/month on additional electricity. I drive about 20k kms/yr.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride

^ this guy is the OG.

Where's your referral code, bro?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    ^ this guy is the OG.

lol.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

^ this guy is the OG.

Lol! I already have the rare, coveted unlimited lifetime Supercharging so referrals aren't needed anymore. But since you asked: https://ts.la/simon82305

Not quite as beyond-OG as some of the others on here... I am definitely Tesla Perf 3 OG though - took delivery back in Sep 2018. I think mine was the second or third one in Alberta?! The wife recently picked up a Model X 90D too. Also has unlimited lifetime Supercharging. Mad EV rep points!
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 12-07-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    Lol! I already have the rare, coveted unlimited lifetime Supercharging so referrals aren't needed anymore. But since you asked: https://ts.la/simon82305

Not quite as beyond-OG as some of the others on here... I am definitely Tesla Perf 3 OG though - took delivery back in Sep 2018. I think mine was the second or third one in Alberta?! The wife recently picked up a Model X 90D too. Also has unlimited lifetime Supercharging. Mad EV rep points!
    You paid for that supercharging with the higher MSRP. It will be worth it if you keep it for a long time.

Did you get lifetime connectivity too?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post

Put your code in your sig. I don't need more miles, I am at around 22k, I just need to extend my expiry date lol.

- - - Updated - - -

You paid for that supercharging with the higher MSRP.
    I'll one-up your negative Nancy and say that he paid for it with panel gaps too.

Tesla people are cool.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Put your code in your sig. I don't need more miles, I am at around 22k, I just need to extend my expiry date lol.
    No, no, no. put my code in your sig. I only have 2,200. haha. I need MOAR

My Ride

And the Model Y and Roadster giveaway that we will never win.
    I will donate to charity for every referral I get.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

And the Model Y and Roadster giveaway that we will never win.
    I will donate to charity for every referral I get.
    I'll add referral codes to the FAQ. You have to send me yours or post in your sig. Although you putting mine in your sig works for me.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Referral link in sig: done. Wouldn't mind winning a Roadster - ha!

Yup, paid for it dearly with a higher MSRP (a $5k USD credit was offered subsequent but we road trip a lot so decided to keep it) AND the panel gaps. No lifetime premium connectivity either, at least not on the 3...apparently only March 2019-March 2020 or thereabouts owners received it. The wife's X has both free S/C and premium connectivity though. Big price to pay to be a Tesla OG! At least my TSLA shares have more than 10x. Just wish I bought more when they were relatively affordable.
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 12-07-2020 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride

Free test drives? Slut.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Free test drives? Slut.
    No kidding.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Free test drives? Slut.

Thanks for adding my referral to your sig!

My Ride
    T4R / Tesla Y

New Owner FAQ. My experience anyway:

Cold Weather FAQ:

Q. Does the car make weird noises and is it normal?
    A. Yes. Car will runs pumps, motors and all sorts of things before and after a drive. If it hums, the car is usually doing something.

Q. Car "bangs" when supercharging?
    A. When it's cold outside, thermal expansion causes the battery to make "banging" noises. Totally normal.

Q. What is the blue part on my battery status / what is the snowflake?
    A. Your battery is cold and the energy in part of the battery is unavailable until it warms. The battery will warm with driving.

Q. How much does cold affect my range?
    A. Depending on temperature, it can drop your range by 50% or more. This means that an SR+ range would drop to 200 ish kms when it is -20C to -30C.
    2021 Model 3 and all Model Y cars have a heat pump. This generally improves efficiency 15% when the temperature is mild (0C to 10C).

Q. Why do my wipers suck?
    A. Tesla stock wipers have some shitty coating on the blades. Clean them with Alcohol. They work better.

Q. Wiper fluid only comes out at the bottom?
    A. Yeah, someone in their infinite wisdom won't let you control when and where you want wiper fluid to come out. Applying while driving will have the remnants go all over your driver's side window. apply sparingly at speed.

Q. My car never gets XXX km as shown on my battery meter.
    A. That's the theoretical maximum. Heater, headwind, fat asses, etc.. will all affect your range to the negative. Use the Energy graph if you really want an estimate of your range. People online all say, put it on "Percentage" and run it like your smartphone.

Charging FAQ:

Q. Do I need a 240v connection?
    A. Depends on your use case. A 120v 15A outlet will charge your car at 7km/h. With a Wall Connector (Sold by Tesla for $600) you can charge at 71km/h getting a full tank in about 5-7 hours. You can get a 14-50 Nema adaptor ($22) for the included connector that will charge at about 48km/h. I have survived on 120v, but when you decide to go out of town, you have take a visit to the supercharger to top up which might not be convenient.

Q. Max charge?
    A. The guidance is to charge to 90% daily and plug in when the car is not in use. Anything above 90% should be reserved for trips. It is said a high SOC (State of Charge) damages the battery. It is also said a low state of charge damages the batter (below 10%). Therefore you real usable battery range is 80% of the stated range by Tesla for daily use.

Member Referral codes:

mo_money2supe: https://ts.la/simon82305
    benyl: https://ts.la/moon14483

To be expanded.
    Lol the washer sprayers are frustrating.. let me control the timing!

My Ride

Getting static shocked almost everytime when I am getting out the vehicle pisses me off so much that I bare butt it once I get in the car. That is my biggest complaint.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Update ( Hope I don't piss anyone off here!)

Test drove the 3 and the Y this afternoon. They felt exactly the same so no preference on either beside the size.

Pros: fast + handles well. Auto pilot is neat.

Cons: Lower interior quality, rough ride quality, loud cabin, and lack of features (minimal adjustment seats, no HUD, no heated steering wheel, average sound system, no sunroof, etc..)

Overall my parents don't like it and decided against it. However they are now curious at the plug in aspect of it, so they are now looking at PHEV options (XC60T8e, or X3e, or Q5e)

For myself I though the cars were interesting, but felt too much like driving a giant computer. After jumping back into the Cayenne I think I'll stick with my current setup for now.

Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast