Quantcast
Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat. - Page 29 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

My Ride
    *The First*

I severely doubt someone in their early 70's would select a Tesla. Particularly a Tesla over a Volvo.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So my folks are in the market for a new midsize sedan and they are curious about the Model Y. Otherwise their top choice right now is the XC60 inscription.

I'm going to check out the Y in person next week but any feedback from existing owners? My parents are in their early 70s- would this be too 'techy' for them?
    Can your parents operate a smart phone? The Model Y is a giant smartphone on wheels.

There are a couple of quirks that you might have to explain to them. Things like the TPMS being pretty sensitive because Elon wants you to keep your tires inflated for efficiency.

I’d be happy to give them a rundown, socially distanced of course of the car if they buy one. The overview Tesla gives takes 10 minutes and then they shove you out the door. Lol

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I have never had TPMS warnings. Are you heavy or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Can your parents operate a smart phone? The Model Y is a giant smartphone on wheels.

There are a couple of quirks that you might have to explain to them. Things like the TPMS being pretty sensitive because Elon wants you to keep your tires inflated for efficiency.

I’d be happy to give them a rundown, socially distanced of course of the car if they buy one. The overview Tesla gives takes 10 minutes and then they shove you out the door. Lol
    I got my parents a smart tv this summer. Big mistake. Continuous tech support required.

They also aren’t even close to 70.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Appreciate the offer. I would imagine if they end up buying a Tesla I would probably drive it for a week and then teach them how to use it and be on standby to troubleshoot.

I'm already expecting to have to do this even with the XC60 given the touchscreen control and stuff. I couldn't even figure out myself how to use/test the self-parking function on the test drive.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I just picked this one up on Saturday. It's a 2021 standard range plus. I had a fun drive back to Beaumont learning all the features etc. The car told me it would make it without a charge with a predicted arrival battery level of 11%, but I didn't want to take the chance getting stranded on my first drive so I stopped in Gasoline Alley for a quick supercharge. So far it's a pretty fun car and in some ways very different from other cars, but it's still pretty easy to drive. It does so many things automatically that it does take some trust building. I'm not used to a car doing quite so much and I've been fighting with some of the systems like the auto high beams and cruise control. I expected it to be a lot slower than it is being the RWD version, but it is definitely not slow. Winter tires and wheels are on now and we're ready to rock for the season.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Nice! Did it qualify for the federal EV rebate?

My Ride

Nice! Did it qualify for the federal EV rebate?
    I don't think it does. Only the special menu SR- qualifies, but no one buys that in Canada.

Congratulations @JustinL !!!

My Ride

For prospective buyers, here are a list of things that may interest you.

1) High Endurance MicroSD card for the dash/sentry cam: https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Endura...s%2C195&sr=8-1

2) Floor Mats: Model 3 can be purchased at costco.ca and on the Tesla website. Tesmanian sells Model Y: https://www.tesmanian.com/collection...-mats-full-set

3) NEMA 14-50 adapter (if you are planning on upgrading to 240v): https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product...-nema-adapters

4) Glass Roof Shade which are handy for summer road trips: Model 3: https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product...-roof-sunshade Model Y: https://www.tesmanian.com/collection...-roof-sunshade

5) Aerowheel Kit for Model 3: https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product...-wheel-cap-kit

6) Tesla Jack Pads for lifting: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=tesla+jack...f=nb_sb_noss_2

7) Center console organizers: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=tesla+cent..._sb_ss_sc_1_25

8) Leather protectant for white interiors: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...&psc=1&fpw=alm

9) Insane mode onesie: https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product...?sku=100046605
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 12-07-2020 at 10:47 AM.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Yeah $5000 bucks off!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Yeah $5000 bucks off!
    Nice! It's so cheap now that everyone should get two.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 12-07-2020 at 10:48 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Nice! It's so cheap now that everyone should get two.
    Now, now...

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

That's tempting for the price. I've booked a test drive tomorrow - Model Y for my mom and Standard Range Model 3 for myself. Maybe the right setup is to have a gas guzzling V8 and a little EV city cruiser.

My Ride

That's tempting for the price. I've booked a test drive tomorrow - Model Y for my mom and Standard Range Model 3 for myself. Maybe the right setup is to have a gas guzzling V8 and a little EV city cruiser.
    Don't be a pussy. Drive the performance too.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, now...
    One for every family member it is!

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I was waiting for the heat pump to make it into the Model3 before I pulled the trigger, but the rest of the updates to the 2021 made it an easy call. As I was driving the audi to Calgary, I was thinking that this was the furthest it had ever been from my garage. It makes complete sense to have a long range gas vehicle and an electric city runabout. If it's the only car, I think it would be better to have the longer range versions.

The resale on the Model3 is also excellent, so if I don't like it, I think I could unload it in a year without taking too much of a hit.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Don't be a pussy. Drive the performance too.
    Don't do it. haha. I probably would have ended up with an AWD, but drove the performance first...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    I was waiting for the heat pump to make it into the Model3 before I pulled the trigger, but the rest of the updates to the 2021 made it an easy call. As I was driving the audi to Calgary, I was thinking that this was the furthest it had ever been from my garage. It makes complete sense to have a long range gas vehicle and an electric city runabout. If it's the only car, I think it would be better to have the longer range versions.

The resale on the Model3 is also excellent, so if I don't like it, I think I could unload it in a year without taking too much of a hit.
    The heat pump is huge value given out current temps. 15% better efficiency based on some youtubers.

I'd thought about trading for a 2021 because the resale is so good, but I was lucky to get free premium connectivity for life on both my cars. I am cheap, so that's worth more to me than better efficiency. LOL.

My Ride

I read something about the heat pumps not being as efficient in subzero temps but I don't recall what.
    Buy the performance just in case.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I read something about the heat pumps not being as efficient in subzero temps but I don't recall what.
    Buy the performance just in case.
    It could be from 0 - 10C where it works best.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

New Owner FAQ. My experience anyway:

Cold Weather FAQ:

Q. Does the car make weird noises and is it normal?
    A. Yes. Car will runs pumps, motors and all sorts of things before and after a drive. If it hums, the car is usually doing something.

Q. Car "bangs" when supercharging?
    A. When it's cold outside, thermal expansion causes the battery to make "banging" noises. Totally normal.

Q. What is the blue part on my battery status / what is the snowflake?
    A. Your battery is cold and the energy in part of the battery is unavailable until it warms. The battery will warm with driving.

Q. How much does cold affect my range?
    A. Depending on temperature, it can drop your range by 50% or more. This means that an SR+ range would drop to 200 ish kms when it is -20C to -30C.
    2021 Model 3 and all Model Y cars have a heat pump. This generally improves efficiency 15% when the temperature is mild (0C to 10C).

Q. Why do my wipers suck?
    A. Tesla stock wipers have some shitty coating on the blades. Clean them with Alcohol. They work better.

Q. Wiper fluid only comes out at the bottom?
    A. Yeah, someone in their infinite wisdom won't let you control when and where you want wiper fluid to come out. Applying while driving will have the remnants go all over your driver's side window. apply sparingly at speed.

Q. My car never gets XXX km as shown on my battery meter.
    A. That's the theoretical maximum. Heater, headwind, fat asses, etc.. will all affect your range to the negative. Use the Energy graph if you really want an estimate of your range. People online all say, put it on "Percentage" and run it like your smartphone.

Q. How do I preheat my car and battery?
    A. You can precondition your car by using the scheduled departure function on the charging menu in the car or by pressing the climate button in the app.
    Name:  741FF4AC-5A57-4EA6-9EA4-8412D2D5EB82.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  17.9 KB
    Charging FAQ:

Q. Do I need a 240v connection?
    A. Depends on your use case. A 120v 15A outlet will charge your car at 7km/h. With a Wall Connector (Sold by Tesla for $600) you can charge at 71km/h getting a full tank in about 5-7 hours. You can get a 14-50 Nema adaptor ($22) for the included connector that will charge at about 48km/h. I have survived on 120v, but when you decide to go out of town, you have take a visit to the supercharger to top up which might not be convenient.

Q. Max charge?
    A. The guidance is to charge to 90% daily and plug in when the car is not in use. Anything above 90% should be reserved for trips. It is said a high SOC (State of Charge) damages the battery. It is also said a low state of charge damages the batter (below 10%). Therefore you real usable battery range is 80% of the stated range by Tesla for daily use.

Member Referral codes:

mo_money2supe: https://ts.la/simon82305
    benyl: https://ts.la/moon14483

To be expanded.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

[QUOTE=The_Rural_Juror;4928223]Don't be a pussy. Drive the performance too.

hah I don't want to test drive something I can't afford, and have that constant reminder that life could be so much more as I drive the standard 3.

- - - Updated - - -

New Owner FAQ. My experience anyway:

Cold Weather FAQ:

Q. Does the car make weird noises and is it normal?
    A. Yes. Car will runs pumps, motors and all sorts of things before and after a drive. If it hums, the car is usually doing something.

Q. Car "bangs" when supercharging?
    A. When it's cold outside, thermal expansion causes the battery to make "banging" noises. Totally normal.

Q. What is the blue part on my battery status / what is the snowflake?
    A. Your battery is cold and the energy in part of the battery is unavailable until it warms. The battery will warm with driving.

Q. How much does cold affect my range?
    A. Depending on temperature, it can drop your range by 50% or more. This means that an SR+ range would drop to 200 ish kms when it is -20C to -30C.
    2021 Model 3 and all Model Y cars have a heat pump. This generally improve efficiency 15% when the temperature is mild (0C to 10C).

To be expanded.
    So when you say the SR+ range could drop by like 50%.. do yo mean like you can fully charge it in the garage (lets say heated attached) and system shows 400km range, but as soon as you drive around in -20C weather for say 30 mins, the range will just go down twice as fast??

Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast