Quantcast
Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat. - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your electricity bill will be 1/4 of gasoline cost. Plus you'll save nearly all maintenance except tires. 400km is base model with RWD. In very cold days you'll likely see max 40% loss in the distance.

A perspective that hasn't been brought up is you're sitting in your car at least 2hrs every day. Test drive a tesla and see how you feel about that. It'll most likely make every other car you've sat in feel outdated.
    so 400km - 40% is 240km when new and its cold out. And his commute is 200km. By year 2 or 3 the batteries won't have the charge to make it the full commute if he's doing 50k a year. Or even brand new if he wants to go literally anything after work he won't have the range if it's cold out.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Give me the three sea shells then may be I'll consider the cybertruck.

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    so 400km - 40% is 240km when new and its cold out. And his commute is 200km. By year 2 or 3 the batteries won't have the charge to make it the full commute if he's doing 50k a year. Or even brand new if he wants to go literally anything after work he won't have the range if it's cold out.
    We're saying the same thing, except at 2% degradation you're still able to do round trip in yr 5 in extreme weather. I get it, you want to also stop by a friend's place or grab eggs. Most EV owners find ways to minimize cost of charging and range anxiety e.g. in this case even basic 120V charging at work would get you ~30km range for your commute home.

Anywho, that's base model (518km at one level up) so go test drive one and discuss with an owner or two. Your gas savings in 4 yrs are $22k (600/m x 48 x 3/4). Round that to $25k savings with maintenance. I'd be keen to know which gas powered car matches the performance, reliability, comfort and tech at such price gap.
    Last edited by ragu; 11-26-2019 at 07:40 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Range is fine. Car is fine. If you like the car buy it, just don't think you are saving money.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Range is fine. Car is fine. If you like the car buy it, just don't think you are saving money.
    There are cases today where there's huge money savings. @benyl was paying $400/month in gas, now he gets free charging at work. He didn't even get a charger installed at home lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I guess I'm including capital outlay against a cheap beater commuter car. Or the 09 accord the OP's profile says he owns.
    If you are comparing against similarly expensive cars, or just looking at monthly operating, then yeah.

I'm 100% pro EV. I think it's good technology already, and it won't be long until it's the sensible option for many people.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    There are cases today where there's huge money savings. @benyl was paying $400/month in gas, now he gets free charging at work. He didn't even get a charger installed at home lol.
    Damn cheap Asians, also #jealous.

Just to note, I’ve charged at home roughly 800 kWh’s worth and if I put that into dollars 800x0.15 = $120. 800 kWh = 8 tanks of fuel, which equals 3200 kms.

3200 would have been 6 tanks of fuel in the car, at 90$ per tank, equaling $540. On heavy months of driving I was saving $420.

On the side note, I drive zero some months.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I can't even figure out what my actual kWh rate is with all the fucking riders here lol. But yea, my new office has free charging at work too, but my fuel costs are so low because hybrid that it's not enough to push me over the edge and ignore the downsides that bother me.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

You guys think that this whole free charging stuff will end in the near future as EVs become more mainstream?
    Soon there will be meters that will charge to your credit card or something similar to paying for parking, no?

My Ride
    ute

I'm in Toronto right now, and some of my co-workers have such shitty commutes. They calculate the savings from their Teslas not by how much fuel they save per month, but how those savings translate to a payoff for the entire car.

They were bragging about how they got a a "free tesla". My view is that if you can justify a Tesla based on fuel cost savings your commute sucks ass and I feel bad.

Also fuck fuel savings.

Sometimes its not worth min-maxing life and driving something that is the transportation equivalent of a microwave.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Sometimes its not worth min-maxing life and driving something that is the transportation equivalent of a microwave.
    You owe me a new keyboard for that one lmao
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'm in Toronto right now, and some of my co-workers have such shitty commutes. They calculate the savings from their Teslas not by how much fuel they save per month, but how those savings translate to a payoff for the entire car.

They were bragging about how they got a a "free tesla". My view is that if you can justify a Tesla based on fuel cost savings your commute sucks ass and I feel bad.

Also fuck fuel savings.

But hey, Toronto is the greatest city in Canada. So like worth it.... right.

/s

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    You guys think that this whole free charging stuff will end in the near future as EVs become more mainstream?
    Soon there will be meters that will charge to your credit card or something similar to paying for parking, no?
    For sure. We already saw it with Tesla's free supercharging and such. Eventually it'll just be a meter you swipe and leave your car to top it up. Still cheaper than fuel though.

But I do wonder how much it'll raise our electricity rates when a significant portion of the province moves over.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

/s
    Center of the Universe Bro
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

The riders and transmission costs should be treated as fixed, since you will still be paying for them to supply your home. You still have to pay for them even with solar, as long as you are connected to the grid.

My energy charge was 5.5 cents per kwh. So that is the comparison in my mind. Maybe toss in a couple of pennies for transmission if you want to be conservative.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 11-26-2019 at 10:16 AM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Also fuck fuel savings.

Ok Boomer.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    The riders and transmission costs should be treated as fixed, since you will still be paying for them to supply your home. You still have to pay for them even with solar, as long as you are connected to the grid.

My energy charge was 5.5 cents per kwh. So that is the comparison in my mind. Maybe toss in a couple of pennies for transmission if you want to be conservative.
    My bill says it’s 6 cents per kwh, I just add another 9 cents for bullshit fees to bring it up to that 15 cents.
    Professionally Retired

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

/s
    There's a difference between "living in Toronto" and living in "Toronto", but more accurately commuting from Milton or Orangeville...

My Ride
    Fremont

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    There's still a bunch of freebies around like Ikea, but charging fees are already happening at Chinook Centre.

-

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Ok Boomer.
    The inverse of this is also true.

Name:  just-remember-for-every-boomer-that-hates-a-millennial-theres-42202124.png
Views: 328
Size:  100.7 KB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm going to borrow @benyl 's Model 3P and take you for a rip when you get back haha.

Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast